SATA & AHCI

Old August 8th 07, 03:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
RobV

Default SATA & AHCI

P5B-Plus MB, E6600, 2GB Corsair memory, SATA system drive, SATA DVD-RAM.

XP Home (32 bit).

If I select AHCI in the BIOS for the SATA drive, the system won't boot.
It only works if set to IDE. I think the reason is because I didn't
install the Intel Matrix or RAID drivers when setting up XP via F6.

Is there a way to install them after the OS is already installed (I
tried F6 when the system boots, but it isn't recognized)?

Old August 8th 07, 08:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Barry Watzman

I think if you just install the Intel Storage Matrix drivers you should
be all set. Note: many motherboards have multiple SATA ports, some on
the Intel chipset, some on additional chips (very commonly various
JMicron chips). Be sure that you know what drives are on what ports
connected to what chips. The Intel Matrix Drivers won't do you any good
if the drive is on a port connected to a non-Intel disk interface chip.

Installing the F6 driver will also cause that driver to be incorporated
into the version of Windows being installed, BUT in that regard it
doesn't do anything that subsequent installation of the same driver
won't do. In other words, installing the Intel Storage Matrix driver in
Windows later is as good as (better than, actually) having installed an
F6 driver for SATA ports on an Intel chipset during the installation.

Old August 8th 07, 08:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
RobV

RobV wrote:
P5B-Plus MB, E6600, 2GB Corsair memory, SATA system drive, SATA
DVD-RAM. XP Home (32 bit).

If I select AHCI in the BIOS for the SATA drive, the system won't
boot. It only works if set to IDE. I think the reason is because I
didn't install the Intel Matrix or RAID drivers when setting up XP
via F6. Is there a way to install them after the OS is already
installed (I
tried F6 when the system boots, but it isn't recognized)?

Thanks, Barry. An excellent response. Yes, I did install the JMicron
with F6 during install to use the IDE port on it and the SATA drives are
connected to the Intel Southbridge. Then I'll just get the ASUS CD and
install the Intel "stuff ". :-)

Thanks again!

Old August 8th 07, 10:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
RobV

Barry Watzman wrote:
I think if you just install the Intel Storage Matrix drivers you
should be all set. Note: many motherboards have multiple SATA
ports, some on the Intel chipset, some on additional chips (very
commonly various JMicron chips). Be sure that you know what drives
are on what ports connected to what chips. The Intel Matrix Drivers
won't do you any good if the drive is on a port connected to a
non-Intel disk interface chip.
Installing the F6 driver will also cause that driver to be
incorporated into the version of Windows being installed, BUT in that
regard it doesn't do anything that subsequent installation of the
same driver won't do. In other words, installing the Intel Storage
Matrix driver in Windows later is as good as (better than, actually)
having installed an F6 driver for SATA ports on an Intel chipset
during the installation.

Won't work. The only way to install them is when the OS asks for F6, at
least from what I've tried and from reading the readme file concerning
the installation.
When I try to install the Matrix drivers, it tells me it won't work with
what I have.

Old August 8th 07, 10:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
RobV

RobV wrote:
Barry Watzman wrote:
[...]

I tried to install Intel Matrix Storage, but it quits after telling me
that my system "Does Not Meet Minimum Requirements"???

Old August 9th 07, 01:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Tim S.

RobV wrote:
P5B-Plus MB, E6600, 2GB Corsair memory, SATA system drive, SATA DVD-RAM.

XP Home (32 bit).

If I select AHCI in the BIOS for the SATA drive, the system won't boot.
It only works if set to IDE. I think the reason is because I didn't
install the Intel Matrix or RAID drivers when setting up XP via F6.

Is there a way to install them after the OS is already installed (I
tried F6 when the system boots, but it isn't recognized)?

RobV,

I have no idea if this works but you can read and try this method if you
like. I can't give you any guarantees so do so at your own risk.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofivers...p/t457699.html

If it works I would then update to the latest drivers from Intel.

Tim S.
Old August 9th 07, 01:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
RobV

Tim S. wrote:
RobV wrote:
P5B-Plus MB, E6600, 2GB Corsair memory, SATA system drive, SATA
DVD-RAM. XP Home (32 bit).

If I select AHCI in the BIOS for the SATA drive, the system won't
boot. It only works if set to IDE. I think the reason is because I
didn't install the Intel Matrix or RAID drivers when setting up XP
via F6. Is there a way to install them after the OS is already
installed (I
tried F6 when the system boots, but it isn't recognized)?

RobV,

I have no idea if this works but you can read and try this method if
you like. I can't give you any guarantees so do so at your own risk.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofivers...p/t457699.html

If it works I would then update to the latest drivers from Intel.

Tim S.

Thanks for the link, Tim. I'll read through it and may give it a try.

Old August 9th 07, 02:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
RobV

RobV wrote:
Tim S. wrote:
RobV wrote:
P5B-Plus MB, E6600, 2GB Corsair memory, SATA system drive, SATA
DVD-RAM. XP Home (32 bit).

If I select AHCI in the BIOS for the SATA drive, the system won't
boot. It only works if set to IDE. I think the reason is because I
didn't install the Intel Matrix or RAID drivers when setting up XP
via F6. Is there a way to install them after the OS is already
installed (I
tried F6 when the system boots, but it isn't recognized)?

RobV,

I have no idea if this works but you can read and try this method if
you like. I can't give you any guarantees so do so at your own risk.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofivers...p/t457699.html

If it works I would then update to the latest drivers from Intel.

Tim S.

Thanks for the link, Tim. I'll read through it and may give it a try.

Well, that thread is great, except the registry entry they reference
does not exist in my system. I ran find on the parameters and nothing
came up. Looks like I'll have to do a new clean install for the SATA
drive to be all it can be. Again, thanks, Tim. It looked promising,
but wasn't meant to be.

Old August 12th 07, 01:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
RobV

"Howard Goldstein" wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 21:04:32 -0400, RobV
wrote:
: RobV wrote:
:
[...]

Not only is it promising - something like this worked for me without a
reinstall. Nothing in that thread depends on registry entries until
you get to a point where someone else is fixing his hosed entries.

Haven't been able to get into the news server till now because of
switching from Adelphia to Time Warner. Straightened out, now.

Well, I simply bit the bullet and reinstalled Windows (and everything
else). Moved all needed data to the other (IDE) drives.

Everything is working as it should, including a new UPS, incentive to
purchase after many power outages this week.

Thanks, everyone for your help.

Old August 18th 07, 01:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
JoeA

RobV wrote:

Won't work. The only way to install them is when the OS asks for F6,
at least from what I've tried and from reading the readme file
concerning the installation.
When I try to install the Matrix drivers, it tells me it won't work
with what I have.

I tried to install Intel Matrix Storage, but it quits after telling me
that my system "Does Not Meet Minimum Requirements"???

I have the same problem with Matrix Storage not installing.
So I guess re-installing XP with F6 is the only way.

So, is it worth doing?

I have a dedicated video editing machine based on a P5B Deluxe & XP Pro.
I don't need Raid, but I keep video archives on swappable int. hard
drives which slide into a rack.
It would be nice to be able to hot-swap drives, and an earlier message
in this thread implied that
if I install ACHI I'll be able to do that. Does anyone have info or a
reference I could check out?

Thanks, J.Asling