excessive data transfer charge?

Old November 15th 06, 05:50 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.hacker
shegeek72

Default excessive data transfer charge?

I got charged $105 to have the data transferred from one HD to another:
D: to C: and vice versa (80g IDE, 60g SATA). Was going to do it myself,
but felt more confident letting a pro do it so there wouldn't be any
hassles from problems. The itemized bill was:

$55 labor - service data transfer
$55 labor - service clone HD
With a $15 discount!

Is this a fair price or did I get over-charged?
--
faith /n./ The belief that the Beatitudes include "Blessed are the
rich" and "Blessed are the warmakers."

Old November 15th 06, 05:58 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.hacker
Big Bad Bob

shegeek72 wrote:
I got charged $105 to have the data transferred from one HD to another:
D: to C: and vice versa (80g IDE, 60g SATA). Was going to do it myself,
but felt more confident letting a pro do it so there wouldn't be any
hassles from problems. The itemized bill was:

$55 labor - service data transfer
$55 labor - service clone HD
With a $15 discount!

Is this a fair price or did I get over-charged?

if it took at least an hour, it's probably fair. 1 hour of a competent
computer geek's time is probably worth $100

Old November 15th 06, 12:15 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.hacker
kony

On 14 Nov 2006 21:50:09 -0800, "shegeek72"
wrote:

I got charged $105 to have the data transferred from one HD to another:
D: to C: and vice versa (80g IDE, 60g SATA). Was going to do it myself,
but felt more confident letting a pro do it so there wouldn't be any
hassles from problems. The itemized bill was:

$55 labor - service data transfer
$55 labor - service clone HD
With a $15 discount!

Is this a fair price or did I get over-charged?

Typical bench fees might start at $50 and up - just to have
them touch it at all. Next what they have to do, could be
easy or harder (than expected, though a data copy is pretty
quick, easy, and straightforward). Even if it was quick and
easy, they're going to charge a flat rate per service (or
more rarely an hourly charge) and many jobs will be easier,
fewer become a PITA and end up being losses to the
technician (most often salvage from virus attacks are the
type of service that can become an extended process but with
a lower set fee, sometimes it's easy but not always).

$105 is fair, it'd cost that much to have a professional
work on many items outside the computer industry. The grey
area here is that it doesn't take a lot of advanced
knowledge to do this particular task, but even so, you did
opt to have a (supposed) pro do it.

Next time you might see if the geek down the street will do
it for you, and negotiate price (though I'd be sure to make
backups of any important data first- but that's a good idea
even if taking it to a professional).
Old November 15th 06, 02:40 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.hacker
Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage shegeek72 wrote:
I got charged $105 to have the data transferred from one HD to another:
D: to C: and vice versa (80g IDE, 60g SATA). Was going to do it myself,
but felt more confident letting a pro do it so there wouldn't be any
hassles from problems. The itemized bill was:

$55 labor - service data transfer
$55 labor - service clone HD
With a $15 discount!

Is this a fair price or did I get over-charged?

Typical and reasonable, I would say.

Arno

Old November 15th 06, 03:42 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware
Folkert Rienstra

"Anna" wrote in message
"shegeek72" wrote in message
oups.com...
I got charged $105 to have the data transferred from one HD to another:
D: to C: and vice versa (80g IDE, 60g SATA). Was going to do it myself,
but felt more confident letting a pro do it so there wouldn't be any
hassles from problems. The itemized bill was:

$55 labor - service data transfer
$55 labor - service clone HD
With a $15 discount!

Is this a fair price or did I get over-charged?
--
faith /n./ The belief that the Beatitudes include "Blessed are the
rich" and "Blessed are the warmakers."

shegeek72:
As you've heard, those charges are about the going rate in most places.
Sometimes a bit more; sometimes a bit less.

(Thank goodness for the $15 discount, huh?).

And thank God for people that can't even count.

[snip]
Old November 15th 06, 06:04 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware
Anna

"shegeek72" wrote in message
oups.com...
I got charged $105 to have the data transferred from one HD to another:
D: to C: and vice versa (80g IDE, 60g SATA). Was going to do it myself,
but felt more confident letting a pro do it so there wouldn't be any
hassles from problems. The itemized bill was:

$55 labor - service data transfer
$55 labor - service clone HD
With a $15 discount!

Is this a fair price or did I get over-charged?
--
faith /n./ The belief that the Beatitudes include "Blessed are the
rich" and "Blessed are the warmakers."

shegeek72:
As you've heard, those charges are about the going rate in most places.
Sometimes a bit more; sometimes a bit less. (Thank goodness for the $15
discount, huh?).

But the purpose of my post is to try to encourage you (in the future) to
undertake this disk cloning process yourself. You'll want to maintain a
backup system so that you could make a full recovery should your system
become inoperable for one reason or another, e.g., a failed HDD, a corrupt
operating system that no longer boots, etc.

Through the use of a "disk imaging" program such as Acronis True Image, you
can relatively easily backup your system on a routine & systematic basis.
The process is straightforward and not terribly time consuming. The beauty
of this type of program is that not only are you backing up your created
data, you're backing up your operating system and all your programs &
applications. So it's a comfort to know that should anything untoward occur
to your day-to-day operating system you can recover fully with a minimum of
effort.

I use the Acronis program as an example of a disk imaging program. There are
others. The Acronis program is particularly easy to use and as I've said, is
quite effective. I recently posted step-by-step instructions for using that
program to this newsgroup and one or more of Microsoft's XP newsgroups. If
you're interested, so indicate and I'll post them again.
Anna

Old November 15th 06, 07:30 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware
Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Anna wrote:

"shegeek72" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Sound advice. Running without a backup is like driving without
savety belt: As long as everything goes fine, no problem. If
something fails, added safety becomes invaluable.

Arno

Old November 15th 06, 10:07 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.hacker
Ed Light

"kony" wrote
(though I'd be sure to make
backups of any important data first- but that's a good idea
even if taking it to a professional).

That's for sure. When I had Win 98 I had moved My Documents to C:\FILES.

A shop put in a new used cpu and set the voltage wrong, so it started to go
awry.

I took it back and they reinstalled the OS, which deleted \FILES completely!

Thank gosh I had backed it up.

--
Ed Light

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old November 16th 06, 03:55 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.hacker
kony

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 14:07:32 -0800, "Ed Light"
wrote:

"kony" wrote
(though I'd be sure to make
backups of any important data first- but that's a good idea
even if taking it to a professional).

That's for sure. When I had Win 98 I had moved My Documents to C:\FILES.

A shop put in a new used cpu and set the voltage wrong, so it started to go
awry.

I took it back and they reinstalled the OS, which deleted \FILES completely!

Thank gosh I had backed it up.

The sad part is that when a PC is taken to a shop, you still
don't know if a senior there is doing the work or just
taking the system from the customer and leaving the job for
one of the less experienced employees. In the case of
this thread and the drive copy that wouldn't be surprising
at all, since the more experienced employees would be more
valuable at more difficult tasks.
Old November 16th 06, 05:53 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.hacker
MF

I'm curious: what did you expect to pay/think was a fair price?

Thanks,
Mike

oups.com...