swamp cooler for computer

Old July 30th 06, 09:54 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.hacker
shegeek72

Default swamp cooler for computer

I'd like to make my own cooler by ducting the air from a small swamp
cooler inside my puter case. Would the moisture in the air case any
problems?

Old July 30th 06, 10:31 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.hacker
Rod Speed

shegeek72 wrote

Yep, you could well **** it that way when the dust inside gets wet.

Old July 30th 06, 02:13 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.hacker
Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage shegeek72 wrote:
I'd like to make my own cooler by ducting the air from a small swamp
cooler inside my puter case. Would the moisture in the air case any
problems?

It has a good chance of killing the computwer. It could cause
shorts before that, leading to frequent random crashes.

Arno
Old July 30th 06, 02:17 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.hacker
Gandalf Parker

"shegeek72" contributed wisdom to
oups.com:

I'd like to make my own cooler by ducting the air from a small swamp
cooler inside my puter case. Would the moisture in the air case any
problems?

We get cooled by a swamp cooler for different reasons than equipment gets
cooled. For us it has to do with evaporation and sweat. For equipment the
real problem is that the air inside the computer is (usually) much hotter
than the air outside of the computer. Moving that air should be enough.

Altho back when we were playing "hack a case" I came up with a design for
bending acrylice in a big curvy W and sliding it down over a computer with
the case off (like hard plastic saddle-bags). Then sealing the ends and
making an aquariom out of it. It should have allowed a symbiotic heat-
exchange between the computer and the aquarium with a neat effect of seeing
the guts of the computer "inside" the tank.

Gandalf Parker
Old July 30th 06, 07:40 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.hacker
Rod Speed

Gandalf Parker wrote
shegeek72 wrote

I'd like to make my own cooler by ducting the air from a small swamp
cooler inside my puter case. Would the moisture in the air case any problems?

We get cooled by a swamp cooler for different reasons than equipment
gets cooled. For us it has to do with evaporation and sweat.

You've mangled that considerably, swamp coolers are actually worse
in that regard because they increase the humidity of the cooled air.

For equipment the real problem is that the air inside the
computer is (usually) much hotter than the air outside
of the computer. Moving that air should be enough.

You can still have a problem if the ambient air temp is too high.

Yes, using the swamp cooler to cool the ROOM may well be enough.

I do that myself.

Altho back when we were playing "hack a case" I came
up with a design for bending acrylice in a big curvy W and
sliding it down over a computer with the case off (like hard
plastic saddle-bags). Then sealing the ends and making an
aquariom out of it. It should have allowed a symbiotic heat-
exchange between the computer and the aquarium with a
neat effect of seeing the guts of the computer "inside" the tank.

That is even madder and wont achieve a damned thing.

Old July 31st 06, 02:30 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.hacker
dj_nme

Rod Speed wrote:

Gandalf Parker wrote

snip
Altho back when we were playing "hack a case" I came
up with a design for bending acrylice in a big curvy W and
sliding it down over a computer with the case off (like hard
plastic saddle-bags). Then sealing the ends and making an
aquariom out of it. It should have allowed a symbiotic heat-
exchange between the computer and the aquarium with a
neat effect of seeing the guts of the computer "inside" the tank.

That is even madder and wont achieve a damned thing.

It could be even worse than the idea of using a "swamp cooler" to
refridgerate a computer case.
The cold fishtank would have water (humidity from the air) condensing on
it, and it must drip somewhere.
Murphy being an optomist, it is likely to drip into or onto a
powersupply or other cicuitboard and cause major problems.
The "swamp cooler" idea is also a very bad idea, because these increase
the humidity of the air as it is cooled and that moisture is likely to
condense onto the boards and componants in the computer and turn the
whole thing into a pile of coroded junk.
Old July 31st 06, 03:56 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.hacker
Rod Speed

dj_nme wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Gandalf Parker wrote

Altho back when we were playing "hack a case" I came
up with a design for bending acrylice in a big curvy W and
sliding it down over a computer with the case off (like hard
plastic saddle-bags). Then sealing the ends and making an
aquariom out of it. It should have allowed a symbiotic heat-
exchange between the computer and the aquarium with a
neat effect of seeing the guts of the computer "inside" the tank.

That is even madder and wont achieve a damned thing.

It could be even worse than the idea of using a "swamp cooler" to refridgerate a
computer case.
The cold fishtank would have water (humidity from the air) condensing on it, and it must
drip somewhere.

Dunno, you dont get much of that happening
in summer when the room needs cooling.

Murphy being an optomist, it is likely to drip into or onto a
powersupply or other cicuitboard and cause major problems.
The "swamp cooler" idea is also a very bad idea, because these
increase the humidity of the air as it is cooled and that moisture is likely to condense
onto the boards and componants in the computer and turn the whole thing into a pile of
coroded junk.

Yeah, that's what I said earlier in the thread.

Old August 2nd 06, 09:06 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.hacker
Big Bad Bob

shegeek72 wrote:
I'd like to make my own cooler by ducting the air from a small swamp
cooler inside my puter case. Would the moisture in the air case any
problems?

you might consider a peltier device instead
Old August 2nd 06, 10:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.hacker
shegeek72

Big Bad Bob wrote:

you might consider a peltier device instead

Thanks. I did some preliminary reading on peltier devices - interestng.
The glitch I found was the heat produced by the peltier device still
has to be removed somehow, which means a fan, water cooler or heatpump.
--
The deepest principle in human nature is the craving to be appreciated.