Problem moving Windows 10 to upgraded system

Old March 4th 17, 08:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GlowingBlueMist[_9_]

Default Problem moving Windows 10 to upgraded system

On 3/3/2017 11:41 PM, Larc wrote:
On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 03:52:58 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

| On 4/03/2017 3:13 AM, Larc wrote:
| I just upgraded the motherboard, CPU and RAM in my main PC and am having problems
| getting Windows 10 100% migrated. Windows did activate via the activation
| troubleshooter and most everything seems to be working as it should, but shutdown and
| restart won't complete. The screen goes dark, but the PC doesn't stop running. I
| have to hit the power or reset button.
|
| Let Window$ Update finish the job. There are big updates after the very
| first Win 10 release and then again after builds 1511 and 1607.
|
| Take a look at the Windows Update to confirm.

Updates are always "up to date" on my PCs, especially my main. Thanks, but that's
not the problem.

Larc

I know your system is up to date as far as Microsoft is concerned but
you might want to consider running the free version of the program
Driver Booster 4. It is easily found with a search on Google. What I
like about the program is that it will show you what it considers to be
out of date or missing drivers and offer to fix the problem. Unless you
give it permission the program installs nothing but itself, which is
easily removed after using it.

While it is a 3rd party driver program I have had it correct machines
where the manufacturers software claimed the system had all up to date
drivers and yet this program found many old drivers that should have
already been updated by the manufacturer of the PC or Microsoft.
Drivers that caused things from random lockups to failing to shutdown
caused by old power control drivers.

Just be sure to download it using a link from the IObit web site to
insure it has not been tampered with.
Old March 4th 17, 11:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Larc wrote:

On Fri, 3 Mar 2017 20:28:49 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

Did you install the chipset drivers for the new mobo? Are you using
onboard video (its driver should be in the chipset driver package) or a
daughtercard for video? If the latter, did you reinstall its drivers?

New INF and ME. Also new LAN driver since it's Intel rather than
Realtek that was on the previous board. Video is a GTX-1050 with the
latest NVIDIA driver and it's working well. All other drivers that
should be installed are and are up to date, as they were before the
switch.

..inf files provide definitions on how to use the embedded drivers
included in a Windows distribution. You need to install the chipset
driver package (and whatever other component drivers) from the mobo
maker. Even using the reference driver for, say, a Realtek audio chip
on the mobo does not mean you get all functionality since how the chip
was deployed (what features are enabled or connected, what ancilliary
circuit is needed to support a feature might be there or missing) could
differ from the reference implementation. Get the mobo drivers from the
mobo maker.

Don't know what "ME" means (other than for Windows ME). Is that:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...-for-Intel-NUC
That's for driver management of the mini-PC line:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...-overview.html
Do those even have a slot for a video card (nVidia GeForce GTX-1050)?

I guess I rely on me knowing which mobo chipset driver package to get
and install rather than rely on software. I don't use Microsoft
hardware scan to determine what I should have for new drivers, and I
wouldn't rely on Intel's hardware scan either. Too many times I've seen
them offer a driver for a family of product (a product line) but the
best driver or even the appropriate driver isn't that one. For example,
they sometimes look for a firmware string as a signature but ignore the
version, if specified, in that string.

Maybe I read your post incorrectly. Does "upgraded the motherboard"
mean you merely replaced components on it (kept the mobo but changed the
CPU and RAM) or did you swap out the motherboard with a different brand
or same brand but different model? What mobo brand and model did you
have before? What mobo brand and model do you have now?
Old March 4th 17, 01:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sat, 04 Mar 2017 01:45:49 -0500, Larc
wrote:

I used to average doing 2 clean installs of everything each year, just to get rid of
stray odds and ends and refresh tweaks (never owned an OEM Windows license that
wasn't for a laptop). But I was younger then. It takes me longer now and isn't as
much fun anymore, so I do it only when I'm forced to. And reluctantly then. Wanting
everything "just so" as I do adds to the time I have to spend.

Larc

Understood. I took that one step farther, gaining an acquaintance
with binary sector backups when running Windows 95. Times aside from
a lack of capable software, when hardware could prove to be no less
problematic.

Ironically, it was from software that I sought out help, in the form
of a sales incentive to buy a motherboard, in an offhand brand I
hadn't owned prior. The motherboard being promoted, at regular price,
with the incentive of a free included copy of Norton Ghost. The
motherboard turned into a nightmare, a near straight depreciation of
my money, and was replaced;- that distribution of Norton Ghost,
however, I used probably until XP. Even an updated version of
Symantec, which eventually bought out from an aging Peter Norton, kept
the earlier version's function, from a DOS kernel routine for absolute
restorations outside of Microsoft's perimeters. As do a commercial
counterpart, at least in token form, among most modern binary
restorations.

Only a passing mention, nor notably pertinent to swapping out hardware
between what might one, with some hope, wish to encounter if to engage
a restoration from OS archival binary images.

You're right, though. Nor is it near per se fun zealously guarding my
binary images, though Microsoft may negated the OS, or potentially
implicated independent software efforts programmed prior for it. A
contrite light, why but one in ten properly assembled PC hardware
platforms are based on Windows 10 compliancy;- a distant reserve from
the last court case Microsoft lost for monopolistic practices, in
which estimates bandied it had set back computing around no less by
ten years.
Old March 4th 17, 07:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Sat, 04 Mar 2017 00:57:30 -0500, Paul wrote:

| For hangs, options are limited.
|
| You can check Event Viewer, to see if anything was logged
| right around the time of the hang.
|
| There are tools like Process Monitor and WPA (Windows Performance Analyzer).
| But to record a shutdown, requires that the log be committed
| before the system restarts. If you have to press the power
| button, the ETW event file could be lost.
|
| There is simplification as an approach. For example, if the
| CPU has graphics, maybe you could uninstall the NVidia video driver,
| switch to onboard graphics, and try that. Test whether it shuts
| down while using a different graphics solution.

There's just too much going on, more than hangs. The system first insisted my
printer wasn't connected, then recognized it and printed, but can't see it again
today. And the hang on the Windows repair install apparently happened because
Windows can't reboot the PC, and that needs to be done a couple of times during the
install process. Rebooting happens as it should from outside Windows. I did a BIOS
upgrade last night to see if that would help matters (it didn't) and rebooting after
that went normally. It also did from a Macrium Reflect recovery CD.

I'm afraid it's clear the only solution is going to be a clean install of Windows 10
to ensure everything is tweaked for this H270 motherboard setup.

Larc
Old March 4th 17, 07:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 02:51:28 -0600, GlowingBlueMist
wrote:

| I know your system is up to date as far as Microsoft is concerned but
| you might want to consider running the free version of the program
| Driver Booster 4. It is easily found with a search on Google. What I
| like about the program is that it will show you what it considers to be
| out of date or missing drivers and offer to fix the problem. Unless you
| give it permission the program installs nothing but itself, which is
| easily removed after using it.
|
| While it is a 3rd party driver program I have had it correct machines
| where the manufacturers software claimed the system had all up to date
| drivers and yet this program found many old drivers that should have
| already been updated by the manufacturer of the PC or Microsoft.
| Drivers that caused things from random lockups to failing to shutdown
| caused by old power control drivers.
|
| Just be sure to download it using a link from the IObit web site to
| insure it has not been tampered with.

Thanks. I downloaded, installed and ran that. Unfortunately, it stopped at 99% and
wouldn't go farther. Never told me whether I needed any driver updates or not. I
think my problems go much deeper than drivers.

Larc
Old March 4th 17, 08:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 05:08:58 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

| .inf files provide definitions on how to use the embedded drivers
| included in a Windows distribution. You need to install the chipset
| driver package (and whatever other component drivers) from the mobo
| maker. Even using the reference driver for, say, a Realtek audio chip
| on the mobo does not mean you get all functionality since how the chip
| was deployed (what features are enabled or connected, what ancilliary
| circuit is needed to support a feature might be there or missing) could
| differ from the reference implementation. Get the mobo drivers from the
| mobo maker.
|
| Don't know what "ME" means (other than for Windows ME). Is that:
|
| https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...-for-Intel-NUC

Intel Management Engine file on the ASRock-provided driver install disk.

| I guess I rely on me knowing which mobo chipset driver package to get
| and install rather than rely on software. I don't use Microsoft
| hardware scan to determine what I should have for new drivers, and I
| wouldn't rely on Intel's hardware scan either. Too many times I've seen
| them offer a driver for a family of product (a product line) but the
| best driver or even the appropriate driver isn't that one. For example,
| they sometimes look for a firmware string as a signature but ignore the
| version, if specified, in that string.

Installed drivers on the ASRock disk that came with the motherboard. Since the model
I have was introduced in January this year, drivers should all be reasonably current.
Some drivers would not install, however. There's apparently too much difference
between my old and new boards for my old installation of Windows 10 to be coerced to
work correctly, which was the assumption in my original post. I basically asked if
anybody had any miraculous solution to help me avoid having to reinstall everything.

| Maybe I read your post incorrectly. Does "upgraded the motherboard"
| mean you merely replaced components on it (kept the mobo but changed the
| CPU and RAM) or did you swap out the motherboard with a different brand
| or same brand but different model? What mobo brand and model did you
| have before? What mobo brand and model do you have now?

New motherboard, CPU and RAM. Had ASUS Z87-A and now have ASRock Fatal1ty H270
Performance.

Larc
Old March 4th 17, 09:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GlowingBlueMist[_9_]

wrote:

| I know your system is up to date as far as Microsoft is concerned but
| you might want to consider running the free version of the program
| Driver Booster 4. It is easily found with a search on Google. What I
| like about the program is that it will show you what it considers to be
| out of date or missing drivers and offer to fix the problem. Unless you
| give it permission the program installs nothing but itself, which is
| easily removed after using it.
|
| While it is a 3rd party driver program I have had it correct machines
| where the manufacturers software claimed the system had all up to date
| drivers and yet this program found many old drivers that should have
| already been updated by the manufacturer of the PC or Microsoft.
| Drivers that caused things from random lockups to failing to shutdown
| caused by old power control drivers.
|
| Just be sure to download it using a link from the IObit web site to
| insure it has not been tampered with.

Thanks. I downloaded, installed and ran that. Unfortunately, it stopped at 99% and
wouldn't go farther. Never told me whether I needed any driver updates or not. I
think my problems go much deeper than drivers.

Larc

You might consider opening a command window in the elivated
administrative level and running the following DISM command.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Note the program may appear to get stuck at around 20%. Just let it run
as some sections can take quite a while to verify/repair, if it actually
finds something needing fixing in the Windows 10. On average the above
command seems to take around 15 minutes to complete.

As for the Driver Booster 4 program, you might want to try installing it
again and give it longer to finish the actual install. It does
sometimes takes a couple of minutes to finish.

Good Luck.
Old March 5th 17, 03:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Larc wrote:

New motherboard, CPU and RAM. Had ASUS Z87-A and now have ASRock Fatal1ty H270
Performance.

Assuming you got Windows 10 x64, did you make sure you downloaded
Asrock's 64-bit drivers? Drivers run in kernel mode so they must be the
same bitwidth as is the OS.

Could be your new setup with new mobo and new hardware is trying to use
drivers from your old setup since you migrated the drive from the old to
new setup.

Is this your old one?
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal...oad&os=Win1064

And this your new one?
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal...ex.asp#osW1064

I looked at some of the drivers for those (Windows 10 x64) to see what
might be different. The INF driver definition file is the same version
for both. Old one uses a Gameblaster audio driver while new one uses
Realtek audio driver. IME (Intel Management Engine) driver tool is 11.0
for old mobo and 11.6 for new mobo. Not sure that matters since I'm
guessing both will query your hardware, gather signatures, and check
with their online database. Old mobo has a LAN driver at v20 while the
new mobo is v21. Old uses RST (Rapid Storage Transit) driver at version
14 while new mobo uses version 15. Ther is a big difference in the
onboard video driver: 15 for the old mobo and 21 for the new one.

I don't know if it works the same in Win10 as prior versions but one
method to get in a new driver is to uninstall the device in Device
Manager (devmgmt.msc), rescan, have it detect new hardware, and then
point the wizard at the new driver's installer or its folder. Before
uninstalling the hardware to redetect it, have you tried to upgrade the
driver? Do NOT use auto detect (search), don't use the list of
pre-defined devices, and instead do the manual point to the new driver
or its folder? You don't care what's already there or what search
finds. You want to put in the same version driver to step atop what is
already installed or push in a new version of the driver.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-in-windows-10

That has you first try using their auto search. Never liked that method
since it never found a newer driver. Always went manual. They mention
uninstalling the device, like I did, to force a hardware rescan to
redetect the hardware and query for a driver (hopefully not using one
already there when you're trying to put in a newer one).
Old March 5th 17, 12:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 4/03/2017 1:41 PM, Larc wrote:

Updates are always "up to date" on my PCs, especially my main. Thanks, but that's
not the problem.

Do you have the mood and time to reinstall everything, using
trust-worthy **English**Window$ ISO and virus-free programs?

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Old March 5th 17, 02:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 15:04:19 -0600, GlowingBlueMist
wrote:

| You might consider opening a command window in the elivated
| administrative level and running the following DISM command.
|
| Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
|
| Note the program may appear to get stuck at around 20%. Just let it run
| as some sections can take quite a while to verify/repair, if it actually
| finds something needing fixing in the Windows 10. On average the above
| command seems to take around 15 minutes to complete.
|
| As for the Driver Booster 4 program, you might want to try installing it
| again and give it longer to finish the actual install. It does
| sometimes takes a couple of minutes to finish.
|
| Good Luck.

Good suggestion, thanks. But Dism needed the source for an install.wim that the
system wouldn't allow me to create. I have the necessary .iso, but there were too
many problems. I finally did a clean Windows 10 install that cured all the ills and
am currently working on getting all my apps installed and tweaked.

Larc