hardware, UEFI, dual-boot, USBstik ?

Old October 18th 16, 04:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default hardware, UEFI, dual-boot, USBstik ?

I'm suffering brutal punishment from the WinTel monopolists since my
PC was stolen, and I was forced to buy a Win8.1 x64 to match my ISP.

It's written that the new EUFI has "solved the security problem of a
USBstik being able to boot an independant [of the resident hard-disk]
OS, and therby get access to all files".

If that is correct, I can't expect to leave intact the installed
Win8.1 x64, and run a USBbooted, independant linux system. Or ?

At the low-level/early-stage EUFI settings:
the USBstik is detected and may be set as 1st-priority-boot-device;
the DVD is detected but can NOT be set as 1st-priority-boot-device.

Why ? Surely at that stage the devices are not detectable for
for having VALID boot-files. Or?

Since with the same hardware, a 32 or 64 bit OS can be installed:
at the EUFI-setup-level, there can be no knowledge/distinction
between 32 or 64 bit 'operation'.
So, can a 32-bit DVD-rescue OS be run on a Win-x64 setup?

Ie. the 32/64 choice is made AFTER the EUFI-boot-device level.
It's made by the contents of the chosen boot-device. Or ?

== TIA.

Old October 18th 16, 07:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
[...]

I don't know what you're trying to do, but you can
have a play with this.

"Rufus"
https://rufus.akeo.ie/

It's from the list here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ve_USB_systems

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rufus_(software)

*******

In general, devices with Secure Boot are difficult to play with.

1) A device can have keys used, which allow Windows and Linux.
2) A device can have Windows-only keys, but they left a
hole that allows inserting the Linux key, and installing
Linux.
3) A device can have Windows-only keys and have received
the Windows Update patch to block (2).

For other info on Secure Boot, you can try here.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloa...ecureboot.html

http://www.rodsbooks.com/linux-uefi/

I don't have or own any "locked-down" devices, so can
provide absolutely no help with this stuff. If I received
a locked-down device, I'd throw it in the garbage :-)
That's how much I like them.

Good luck,
Paul

Fixing boot sector on laptop with UEFI boot Larc[_3_] Homebuilt PC's 3 December 8th 13 10:23 PM
UEFI tb Homebuilt PC's 3 January 1st 13 08:46 PM
UEFI Cameo[_2_] Overclocking 2 October 22nd 10 08:24 PM
How do I clear the dual boot screen on a system that is no long dual boot? Bluenose 637 Asus Motherboards 5 August 14th 07 01:07 AM
Dual boot XP and Vista by changing the boot drive in System Setup? Jeff Ingram Dell Computers 1 March 31st 07 05:43 PM