nvidia 6600 with dual monitors - crash

Old May 5th 07, 11:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default nvidia 6600 with dual monitors - crash

I connected two Samsung monitors using DVI cable to my PCI Express
GeForce 6600 GT. When the system is starting up, both monitors display
the same screens. Once started up, the second display disappears. I go
to Display Properties and change to dual monitor mode (clone, dual
view, etc.) and then Windows XP crashes (blue screen) with error:
nv4_mini.sys, error 0x0000008E, first parameter 0xC0000005. The issue
always repeats, regardless of the order of connected monitors and dual
monitor mode. I use the newest driver. How to solve it?

Old May 7th 07, 05:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

1) Are the monitors the same? (modal, sync, etc.)

It's the same brand with same resolution and both are connected via
DVI, but they are different models (193P and 931C).

2) What version of Forceware are you running?

93.71_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql.exe

NOTE: I found out from nVida Support that Forceware 84.21 was the
last _fully_compatible_ version for GeForce 6600. I was shocked. My
problem was I could not play videos using _any_ video player (WMP,
Real, Quicktime) using Forceware 9x.xx drivers. Going back to 84.21
solved the problem and my game graphics also had less crashes. Of
course, this may have nothing to do with your problem.

I will try older drivers. Is it enough to simply uninstall the current
driver and install an old one?

Old May 7th 07, 08:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

I will try older drivers.

You were right, with drivers prior to version 90 it works!