TFT screen issue: backlight floods bottom of screen

Old October 20th 05, 02:49 PM
spodosaurus

Default TFT screen issue: backlight floods bottom of screen

Hi all,

I've got a friend who just bought a laptop (yeah, I know, not a
homebuilt one, but a TFT issue is a TFT issue regardless of whether it's
on a desktop or laptop - see crosspost for those in aus.computers.ibm-pc
who are wondering why I added that in). Laptop arrives and works great,
but the bottom of the screen is flooded a bit by the glow from the
backlight from the lower edge. The top is a bit too dark, too, like the
TFT isn't quite centred properly. He's wondering if it's worth getting
the screen replaced and I'm not sure what to tell him. It's an annoying
thing, but can be minimised if you angle the screen 'just right'. Also,
it has no dead pixels, and I'm worried a warranty replacelent (which the
company has offered to do for the screen) is worth the risk of getting a
news screen with the same issue but maybe with some dead pixels thrown
in, too... What are your opinions?

Cheers,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old October 20th 05, 03:08 PM
Mike T.

"spodosaurus" wrote in message
[...]

A backlight issue like you describe is a lot worse than a few dead pixels.
What is your friend's eyesight worth? Staring at a screen (any technology)
that is not working correctly can be hard on your eyes. Get it replaced.
BTW, I would not suggest replacing the screen . . . I would suggest
exchanging the WHOLE LAPTOP. If it's brand new, why go to the bother of
trying to fix it (and risk damaging it by doing so)? Just get the whole
computer replaced, as the computer itself is defective due to the built-in
display being defective. If the replacement laptop has the same issue,
return it to buy a different model, preferably made by a different
manufacturer. If you have to get a cheaper (CPU, hard drive, DVD drive, or
WHATEVER) to be able to afford a better screen, DO IT. You do not want to
skimp on the display of a laptop, as this can not be upgraded. Think
high-end display when purchasing a laptop. Other components should be
picked according to what you want the laptop to do, but always go for a
high-end display. -Dave

Old October 20th 05, 03:15 PM
spodosaurus

Mike T. wrote:
[...]

That's not what the tech support people said they'd do to correct the
issue. I'll have aread of their return policy though, just in case.

Just get the whole
computer replaced, as the computer itself is defective due to the built-in
display being defective. If the replacement laptop has the same issue,
return it to buy a different model, preferably made by a different
manufacturer. If you have to get a cheaper (CPU, hard drive, DVD drive, or
WHATEVER) to be able to afford a better screen, DO IT. You do not want to
skimp on the display of a laptop, as this can not be upgraded.

He didn't skimp on it, which is why he's upset that it isn't nice and
perfect.

Old October 20th 05, 03:31 PM
atec

spodosaurus wrote:

Mike T. wrote:

Return it , either replace or REFUND as its not suitable due to
unsatisfactory or not of merchantable quality , simple and its worth
pressing it as this will normally stand in court
Old October 20th 05, 03:41 PM
spodosaurus

atec wrote:
spodosaurus wrote:

Mike T. wrote:

Return it , either replace or REFUND as its not suitable due to
unsatisfactory or not of merchantable quality , simple and its worth
pressing it as this will normally stand in court

I've looked up Dell's return policy in their site terms and conitions:
sales terms and conditions. They have a total satisfaction policy where
within 15 days the item may be returned for a refund. What they go to
great pains to hide is who at Dell you're supposed to contact to arrange
this!!!

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old October 20th 05, 03:49 PM
Mike T.

A backlight issue like you describe is a lot worse than a few dead
pixels. What is your friend's eyesight worth? Staring at a screen (any
technology) that is not working correctly can be hard on your eyes. Get
it replaced. BTW, I would not suggest replacing the screen . . . I would
suggest exchanging the WHOLE LAPTOP. If it's brand new, why go to the
bother of trying to fix it (and risk damaging it by doing so)?

That's not what the tech support people said they'd do to correct the
issue. I'll have aread of their return policy though, just in case.

He didn't skimp on it, which is why he's upset that it isn't nice and
perfect.

Stop right there. Immediately insist on a replacement laptop. Tech support
is suggesting what would be cheapest for them. Insist on what would be the
BEST solution for your friend. If you bought this mail-order, it would
probably be even better to insist on getting your money back. There's no
guarantee that the replacement laptop will be any better, and how much time
do you want to waste on this before you realize that you have to buy a
different model from a different manufacturer anyway? Get your money back,
go get a different laptop in an actual store. If it doesn't immediately
perform as you expect it to, return it. -Dave

Old October 20th 05, 03:50 PM
Mike T.

I've looked up Dell's return policy in their site terms and conitions:
sales terms and conditions. They have a total satisfaction policy where
within 15 days the item may be returned for a refund. What they go to
great pains to hide is who at Dell you're supposed to contact to arrange
this!!!

Well get thee on the phone and find out fast. You need to return the laptop
for a refund. You need to do it NOW. -Dave

Old October 20th 05, 04:22 PM
spodosaurus

Mike T. wrote:
[...]

I've had my friend email Dell sales and I think I had better be the one
to do the talking when he phones tomorrow. The thing is, *my* laptop
from Dell is brilliant...but like you're suggesting, if they're shipping
them with crap TFTs now, at least for this model (XGA not sxga or
wxga...but still, they shouldn't have this backlight problem), then
perhaps it's better to look into another manufacturer and spend the
extra $$ (which he SO does not have right now).

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old October 20th 05, 05:28 PM
Mike T.

I've had my friend email Dell sales and I think I had better be the one to
do the talking when he phones tomorrow. The thing is, *my* laptop from
Dell is brilliant...

Yeah, dell does make some decent systems. Can I say that in the homebuilt
ng without getting thoroughly flamed?

It sounds like your friend got a dud, though. Don't know what his budget is
or what he wants to use it for. But if he went with an XGA display, I'm
betting his needs are rather low-end. He might want to consider a non-Intel
solution from one of the big box stores, where he can SEE the display before
he buys it. That way, he will know whether it will be acceptable or not.
Plus, if the one in the unopened box doesn't look as good as the display
model, you'll know immediately that your particular notebook is defective.
Some good examples of notebooks he might want to look at a

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1125466650944

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Acer-...oductDetail.do

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pa...oductDetail.do

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...040&pfp=BROWSE

Old October 20th 05, 06:00 PM
spodosaurus

Mike T. wrote:
I've had my friend email Dell sales and I think I had better be the one to
do the talking when he phones tomorrow. The thing is, *my* laptop from
Dell is brilliant...

Yeah, dell does make some decent systems. Can I say that in the homebuilt
ng without getting thoroughly flamed?

It sounds like your friend got a dud, though. Don't know what his budget is
or what he wants to use it for. But if he went with an XGA display, I'm
betting his needs are rather low-end.

Office applications. He has an older desktop system for video capture
but may want to use the laptop for this (his capture card is an usb
variety). He would like to potentially watch DVDs on it, though.

He might want to consider a non-Intel
solution from one of the big box stores, where he can SEE the display before
he buys it.

He was looking at a mobile sempron solution, as it worked out price
wise. For an extra $100AUD he was able to get a full centrino (as
opposed to a celeron centrino) 1.6 from Dell (more powerful than my
notebook).

That way, he will know whether it will be acceptable or not.
Plus, if the one in the unopened box doesn't look as good as the display
model, you'll know immediately that your particular notebook is defective.

I've seen this problem in cheap TFTs before, but not on any laptop that
I've used, so I was a bit taken aback by how blatent the problem was.
The system itself meets his needs well...it's just the screen that's the
problem.

Some good examples of notebooks he might want to look at a

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1125466650944

I've heard so many terrible things about HP and Compaq support that I'd
be wary of sending him for an HP notebook. Toshiba is good, but you pay
a premium for their brand name. There was a recent Australian PC User
review of sub $2000 notebooks that I think I'll dig up and have a read
through. My friend's emailed me back and said he'd gladly spend an extra
$100-150AUD on a slightly better screen from Dell just so he can avoid
any more hassles. My concern with this, though, is that if they're
letting such glaring faults through (glaring to me at least) that the
next one will be just as bad, even with an SXGA screen (mine is WSXGA
and it's just great). The extra $$ to buy from a shop is about the same
as would be spent to get a better display from Dell, AND he'd have to
downgrade his CPU to a celeron or sempron. Argh, I just *know* I'm going
to be walking him through this process all the way now. In a way, I
guess I should, considering I was not shy about recommending Dell and
Toshiba.