usb keyboard and mouse both not working - can't reinstall cos no keyboard - catch 22

Old October 23rd 06, 07:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Dundonald

Default usb keyboard and mouse both not working - can't reinstall cos no keyboard - catch 22

Ok, first of all, this isn't me, honest! A friend has called me up in
desperation, she has a dell with no PS2 slots, just USB keyboard and
mouse. She's uninstalled the USB keyboard and mouse (don't ask how or
why because even I don't understand!), shut down the machine, and now
can't re-install them because during the reboot windows detects the new
USB keyboard and mouse but she can't continue with the install because
the keyboard or mouse don't work to select "Next"!

What can she do?

Old October 23rd 06, 07:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"Dundonald" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok, first of all, this isn't me, honest! A friend has called me up in
desperation, she has a dell with no PS2 slots, just USB keyboard and
mouse. She's uninstalled the USB keyboard and mouse (don't ask how or
why because even I don't understand!), shut down the machine, and now
can't re-install them because during the reboot windows detects the new
USB keyboard and mouse but she can't continue with the install because
the keyboard or mouse don't work to select "Next"!

What can she do?

Enable Legacy USB support in the BIOS, which should at least make the
keyboard work and she can tab to Next.

Should work.

Tom

Old October 23rd 06, 08:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Dundonald

Tom Scales wrote:

"Dundonald" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok, first of all, this isn't me, honest! A friend has called me up in
desperation, she has a dell with no PS2 slots, just USB keyboard and
mouse. She's uninstalled the USB keyboard and mouse (don't ask how or
why because even I don't understand!), shut down the machine, and now
can't re-install them because during the reboot windows detects the new
USB keyboard and mouse but she can't continue with the install because
the keyboard or mouse don't work to select "Next"!

What can she do?

Enable Legacy USB support in the BIOS, which should at least make the
keyboard work and she can tab to Next.

Should work.

Thanks Tom. How can she enter the bios without use of the keyboard?

Old October 23rd 06, 08:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Wayner

"Dundonald" wrote in message
ps.com...

Tom Scales wrote:

"Dundonald" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok, first of all, this isn't me, honest! A friend has called me up in
desperation, she has a dell with no PS2 slots, just USB keyboard and
mouse. She's uninstalled the USB keyboard and mouse (don't ask how or
why because even I don't understand!), shut down the machine, and now
can't re-install them because during the reboot windows detects the new
USB keyboard and mouse but she can't continue with the install because
the keyboard or mouse don't work to select "Next"!

What can she do?

Enable Legacy USB support in the BIOS, which should at least make the
keyboard work and she can tab to Next.

Should work.

Thanks Tom. How can she enter the bios without use of the keyboard?

BIOS doesn't use windows.

Ask her for the model of her PC then Google search on how to enter the PC's
BIOS. Tell her how to do it. Job done. Unless she has knackered Windows.

HTH.

Old October 23rd 06, 10:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

"Dundonald" wrote in message
ups.com
Ok, first of all, this isn't me, honest! A friend has called me up in
desperation, she has a dell with no PS2 slots, just USB keyboard and
mouse. She's uninstalled the USB keyboard and mouse (don't ask how or
why because even I don't understand!), shut down the machine, and now
can't re-install them because during the reboot windows detects the
new USB keyboard and mouse but she can't continue with the install
because the keyboard or mouse don't work to select "Next"!

What can she do?

Hahaha... sorry I know I shouldn't be laughing.

But hahahaha.

P.S. Tom & Wayner are both correct.

P.S.S. Hahahaha

--
Bill

Old October 24th 06, 12:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
michael adams

"Dundonald" wrote in message
ps.com...

Tom Scales wrote:

"Dundonald" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok, first of all, this isn't me, honest! A friend has called me up in
desperation, she has a dell with no PS2 slots, just USB keyboard and
mouse. She's uninstalled the USB keyboard and mouse (don't ask how or
why because even I don't understand!), shut down the machine, and now
can't re-install them because during the reboot windows detects the

new
USB keyboard and mouse but she can't continue with the install because
the keyboard or mouse don't work to select "Next"!

What can she do?

Enable Legacy USB support in the BIOS, which should at least make the
keyboard work and she can tab to Next.

Should work.

Thanks Tom. How can she enter the bios without use of the keyboard?

The keyboard is still recognised until Windows boots.

To invoke the BIOS set up screen, hit the f2 key repeatedly during boot up.
That should produce a screen message - "now entering set-up" - or similar.

Failing, that try the other function keys in turn, f1 to f12 until the
message appears. Then enable USB support on the BIOS screen. Instructions
on how to navigate the BIOS screen and change the settings via the
keyboard - are at the bottom of the screen. USB may be on the second
page - usually reached by pressing Ctrl P.

michael adams

Old October 24th 06, 01:48 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Dundonald wrote:
Ok, first of all, this isn't me, honest! A friend has called me up in
desperation, she has a dell with no PS2 slots, just USB keyboard and
mouse. She's uninstalled the USB keyboard and mouse (don't ask how or
why because even I don't understand!), shut down the machine, and now
can't re-install them because during the reboot windows detects the new
USB keyboard and mouse but she can't continue with the install because
the keyboard or mouse don't work to select "Next"!

What can she do?

Lemme guess, windows 98 or ME? You got an nasty one there. There are no
good solutions to it, it's a complete lockout. If you got win2k or XP,
no worries, just wait a few minutes.

The one possible way out is a Serial Mouse.

Old October 24th 06, 04:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Brian K wrote:
Out of interest, why would you guess windows 98 or ME on a very recent Dell
with no PS2 port?

Not a *very* recent dell, since the most recent ship with XP. But only
98 and ME are vunlerable to this particular lockup. I've seen it on
Pentium 3 gateway micro desktops with no PS/2 (ME) , and also the
gateway all in one (98). If it's not a 98 or ME machine, i'll eat my
hairpiece. It happens whten both keyboard and mouse are smapped out at
once. It's evil.

On 2000 and xp, usb mouse and keyboard are always silently auto
detected. You don't get the "next" button for those devices. The worst
scenario is a 60 second wait, while the keyboard and mouse are re
detected.

Also, the message tends to get garbled over the phone, user may not
really know what they have, so they describe it, and the second person
assumes. I've been bit by miscommunication a few times.

Old October 24th 06, 06:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Yes, but Dell "legacy-free" systems without PS/2, parallel, or serial ports are
a recent phenomenon, coming along well after Windows 98/ME should have been put
to rest, especially ME. It would take a real masochist to load 98/ME on a
legacy free system. Despite past experience, it is a real stretch to think of
98/ME on a Dell "legacy-free" system.

I would speculate as to whether the USB ports were burned out on the OP's system
by removal of keyboard and mouse from a running system. Shouldn't happen,
but... If the system does not respond to an F2 key press to enter the BIOS,
I'd have to guess that some hardware somewhere is faulty. With the typical
Dell BIOS Quickboot option set on, it takes a very quick F2 key press indeed to
keep the system from booting up Windows instead... Ben Myers