Recommended motherboard.

Old June 26th 03, 05:55 AM
Strontium

-
The Laughing Gnome stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 16:09:47 +0100, "Morgan Sales"
wrote:

Why is it that newsgroups are always filled with fools with nothing
betterto do than post "clever" replies.

One could say the same thing about someone posting questions about
motherboards and ATI video cards in a Nvidia newsgroup. Actually, the
word moron seems more appropriate.

'an' seems like an appropriate word, too. Laugh it up, smartass. Lemme
guess...15yrs old? nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I must be on crack.

--
You, probably, thought you weren't going to die, today...SURPRISE!"

-The main character in Postal 2

Old June 26th 03, 05:56 AM
Strontium

First of all, mr. 15yr old, read the data sheets. Then, make your smartass
comments.

Fool.

-
The Laughing Gnome stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:44:55 -0500, "Strontium"
wrote:

Unless you have the need for Gigabit LAN, save yourself about $100
and get the Prescott board (865G/PE). Unless, of course, you've got
money to burn. Then, forget that I mentioned it

Prescott? Prescott is intels next cpu, the 865 chipset is called
Springdale.

Old June 26th 03, 05:58 AM
Strontium

PS - you left out the 'P'. The springdale is 865P. 865G, which I made sure
to name, is the Prescott. You sure spout off, without even reading, don't
you?

What a dumbass.

-

Old June 26th 03, 06:13 AM
Strontium

Some reading, for you, and the rest of the crew (I don't see the term
'Springdale', in there, do you?) HaHAHaHAHa...blah! Try doing your
homework, first, dude. Springdale is 'old school'. Wake up.

The Intel® 865G chipset is designed for use in a desktop system based on an
Intel® Pentium® 4

processor or the processor code named Prescott and supports FSB frequencies
of 400 MHz,

533 MHz, and 800 MHz. The 865G chipset contains two main components:
Graphics and Memory

Controller Hub (GMCH) for the host bridge and I/O Controller Hub for the I/O
subsystem. The

865G chipset uses either the 82801EB ICH5 or 82801ER ICH5R for the I/O
Controller Hub. This

document is the datasheet for the 82865G Graphics and Memory Controller Hub
(GMCH)

component.

The Intel® 865G chipset platform supports the following processors:

• Intel® Pentium® 4 processor with 512-KB L2 Cache on 0.13 micron process in
the 478-pin

package.

• Processor coded named Prescott. The processor code named Prescott returns
a processor

signature of 00000F3xh when the CPUID instruction is executed with EAX=1.

Note: Unless otherwise specified, the term processor in this document refers
to the Intel® Pentium® 4

processor with 512-KB L2 cache on 0.13 micron process in the 478-pin package
and processor

coded named Prescott.

Note: Unless otherwise specified, the term ICH5 in this document refers to
both the 82801EB ICH5 and

82801ER ICH5R.

-

Old June 26th 03, 08:08 AM
Morgan Sales

wrote:

Why is it that newsgroups are always filled with fools with nothing
betterto do than post "clever" replies.

One could say the same thing about someone posting questions about
motherboards and ATI video cards in a Nvidia newsgroup. Actually, the
word moron seems more appropriate.

Well lets see shall we, I've been reading, and occasionally posting here for
about two years, in that time I've seen plenty of none NVIDIA related posts.
This group has long since ceased to be an exclusively NVIDIA group. Ok so
there may still be a strong NVIDIA content, but the group has become far
more of a general graphics discussion group. A quick scan through the
existing threads proves that fact.

--
Morgan.
----

Mail:
Webpage:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/msales

Old June 26th 03, 08:10 AM
Morgan Sales

The Laughing Gnome wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:13:36 +0100, "Morgan Sales"
wrote:

Next time, try to back up your *opinions* with a bit of fact.

Next time, post in the appropriate newsgroup.

This is appropriate, see my other reply to you.

--
Morgan.
----

Old June 26th 03, 11:00 AM
J.Clarke

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 00:13:39 -0500
"Strontium" wrote:

Some reading, for you, and the rest of the crew (I don't see the term
'Springdale', in there, do you?)

In where?

HaHAHaHAHa...blah! Try doing your
homework, first, dude. Springdale is 'old school'.

Old school? According to Intel
http://www.intel.com/ca/pressroom/2003/0521.htm it went to market just
over a month ago. Perhaps to you that makes it "old school" but most of
us think that that makes it fairly new.

Wake up.
=20
The Intel=AE 865G chipset is designed for use in a desktop system based
on an Intel=AE Pentium=AE 4
=20
processor or the processor code named Prescott and supports FSB
frequencies of 400 MHz,

Now let's see. It is your contention that the 865G chipset is Prescott,
and that the 865G chipset supports the processor code-named Prescott.=20

So which is it, a chipset or a processor?

533 MHz, and 800 MHz. The 865G chipset contains two main components:
Graphics and Memory
=20
Controller Hub (GMCH) for the host bridge and I/O Controller Hub for
the I/O subsystem. The
=20
865G chipset uses either the 82801EB ICH5 or 82801ER ICH5R for the I/O
Controller Hub. This
=20
document is the datasheet for the 82865G Graphics and Memory
Controller Hub(GMCH)
=20
component.
=20
The Intel=AE 865G chipset platform supports the following processors:
=20
=95 Intel=AE Pentium=AE 4 processor with 512-KB L2 Cache on 0.13 micron
process in the 478-pin
=20
package.
=20
=95 Processor coded named Prescott. The processor code named Prescott
returns a processor
=20
signature of 00000F3xh when the CPUID instruction is executed with
EAX=3D1.
=20
Note: Unless otherwise specified, the term processor in this document
refers to the Intel=AE Pentium=AE 4
=20
processor with 512-KB L2 cache on 0.13 micron process in the 478-pin
package and processor
=20
coded named Prescott.
=20

wrote:

Unless you have the need for Gigabit LAN, save yourself about

$100 and get the Prescott board (865G/PE). Unless, of course,
you've got money to burn. Then, forget that I mentioned it

Prescott? Prescott is intels next cpu, the 865 chipset is called
Springdale.

=20
--
You, probably, thought you weren't going to die, today...SURPRISE!"
=20
-The main character in Postal 2
=20
=20

--=20
--=20
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old June 26th 03, 03:29 PM
J.Clarke

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:43:51 -0700
The Laughing Gnome wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:56:19 -0500, "Strontium"
wrote:
=20
First of all, mr. 15yr old, read the data sheets. Then, make your
smartass comments.

Fool.

=20
Improved architecture for Prescott includes better pre-fetcher branch
prediction, advanced power management, improvements to hyperthreading
technology, the PNI above, La Grande support, better imul latency and
additional WC buffers.
=20
As to that future, Intel said its will launch a chipset code-named
Springdale later in the second quarter incorporating its Intel 875P
chipset along with integrated graphics.

From http://www.intel.com/ca/pressroom/2003/0521.htm, "May 21, 2003 .
... Also launched today were the Intel=AE 865G and 865PE chipsets, formerly
code-named Springdale . . ."

From http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20030414comp.htm,
" the Intel 875P chipset, formerly codenamed Canterwood, "

The 875P has dual channel
DDR400 memory support, a fast 800 MHz system bus, AGP8X and internal
support for Serial ATA/RAID. Intel said the chipset will also have a
new architecture designed to increase Gigabit Ethernet networking
performance and Intel Stable Driver Technology. The company said
Springdale is designed to work with its next-generation processor for
performance desktop PCs, code-named Prescott.=20
=20
shrug
--

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

Old June 26th 03, 11:56 PM
J.Clarke

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:28:31 -0500
"Strontium" wrote:

OK - First of all, I realize what I pasted. As for the links that
you pasted, that is secondhand information. Until I see it, from
Intel's mouth (figuratively), it doesn't mean squat to me.=20

The links that I pasted say the same thing and they go to the Intel
site.

Now, I
know that I am not completely out of my mind. I was reading Intel's
sheets, at the developer site....I had a page, right in front of me
that said: Chipset: 865G Codename: Prescott. I cannot, however,
find that page again. So, I am either misremembering or not drunk
enough today..yet.

Always a possibility.

Either that, or my eyes were really ****ing with me, that day!
=20
I would really like it if 'anyone' could get some reference from
Intel's site on what the actual codename for this chipset is. I'm,
still, not convinced that it's 'Springdale'. If I can just see it,
with Intel as the scource, I will shut up!

Just go to the Intel site and plug "springdale 865" into the search box
and you'll find it.
=20
Geez, I can't even believe I got all worked up over a damned codename.
I'm sticking to beer, for a while.

Tried Arrogant *******? If not, do so.

-
The Laughing Gnome stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
=20
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:58:45 -0500, "Strontium"
wrote:
=20
PS - you left out the 'P'. The springdale is 865P. 865G, which I
made sure to name, is the Prescott. You sure spout off, without
even reading, don't you?

=20
http://www.geekstreet.ca/print.php?sid=3D1619
Also launched today were the Intel(R) 865G and 865PE chipsets,
formerly code-named Springdale
=20
What a dumbass.

=20
You were saying?
=20
Need more proof?
=20
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/c...et=3Dintel_865
865P Neo
Optimized Intel 865P Performance Solution
=E2=80=A2 Supports Socket 478 for Intel=C2=AE Pentium 4 Processors
=E2=80=A2 Intel=C2=AE Springdale 865P Chipset
=E2=80=A2 Support FSB 800*/533/400 MHz Intel NetBurst Micro-Architecture
Bus=E2=80=A2 Support Dual Channel DDR 400*/333/266 Memory
=E2=80=A2 Support two 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets up to 2GB
=E2=80=A2 6 PCI, 8X AGP, USB 2.0, 6 Channel Audio
=20
=20
Gee, dumbass, huh?

=20
Hey, sue me, I drank wine instead of beer last night.

Geez, that's the problem. Single malt Scotch me laddie.
=20
=20
=20
--=20

Old June 27th 03, 11:49 AM
Strontium

You notice how this other poster was very willing to participate in a very
OT version of this thread, right? Take, from that, what you will. I'm sure
that I don't have to tell you how two-faced/hypocritical, some people can
be. IMO, given the current state of ATI and/or nVidia's lines, I think the
two groups should be merged. When I slap my 9700 into my box, I'm not going
to 'magically' not subscribe to this group. It's relevant, for many
reasons, to read about/discuss the 'other' vendor.

-
Morgan Sales stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

The Laughing Gnome wrote:

BS. Don't you think the ATI group would be a better place to post
your question? You know, a place where people actually own ATI video
cards
and will know what mb's work best with them.

You have apoint that an ATI group would have probably got me more
replys, but I used this group for two reasons. 1) I'm already
subscribed to it. 2) I know that there are some people in here who
know their stuff. I've seen plenty of none-NVIDIA stuff posted here
in the past, and I've seen some good replies.

I look at it like this: If someoen can help, and is kind enough to
take the time to reply then great. If they can't help, or dont have
the time to do so, then fair enough, they can just ignore the post.

I also suggest the forum
at www.rage3d.com for a good source of info to your question.

cheers.