Win SP2 conflict with Pen Drive

Old June 5th 05, 01:18 AM
Caddy

Default Win SP2 conflict with Pen Drive

A few months ago I had a problem using my Pen Drive USB 2.0 128MB
(Flash drive, Legend.). To accessing the files I've to plug it into
the USB port click on the A: drive then I click on the icon key and the
following message pop up: 'Please insert the device or Please run
this utility as privileged user.' I am using the Administrator
account and there's no other account is setting up and the Device is
Inserted. Its doesn't happened before I've installed Win SP2. At
the time I contact their support service and they didn't gave much
help. So what I did was to remove windows service pack 2 and my Pen
Drive running fine.

Now I have no choice but to install service pack 2 again, and I still
get the same error with the following above message. What's the
problem?

Does anybody came across this problem before?

Please if you know anything about this help me out I appreciated for
all your help and advice. Thank you.

Caddy

Old June 5th 05, 12:36 PM
CWatters

"Caddy" wrote in message
ups.com...
A few months ago I had a problem using my Pen Drive USB 2.0 128MB
(Flash drive, Legend.). To accessing the files I've to plug it into
the USB port click on the A: drive then I click on the icon key and the
following message pop up: 'Please insert the device or Please run
this utility as privileged user.' I am using the Administrator
account and there's no other account is setting up and the Device is
Inserted. Its doesn't happened before I've installed Win SP2. At
the time I contact their support service and they didn't gave much
help. So what I did was to remove windows service pack 2 and my Pen
Drive running fine.

Have you tried changing the drive letter to something higher (eg G: or H:
perhaps) at least higher than your current highest drive/partion. Don't go
as high as W, X, Y, Z as they are normmally used for mapped network drives.

How to..
http://support.microsoft.com/default...307844&sd=tech

Old June 15th 05, 12:18 PM
Caddy

Thank you Cwatters for you respond. Sorry but i'm not to sure on how to
do it. I don't have a Floppy Drive on my PC but i do have a Removable
Storage Device which is F, G, H, and I
which Drive letter should i change?

Please tell me what should i do?

Thanks!

Old June 15th 05, 05:28 PM
CWatters

"Caddy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thank you Cwatters for you respond. Sorry but i'm not to sure on how to
do it. I don't have a Floppy Drive on my PC but i do have a Removable
Storage Device which is F, G, H, and I
which Drive letter should i change?

Sorry for the delay in replying...

When you plug the USB drive in does the drive appear on "My Computer" as
Drive A:? (or did I missunderstand?)

Does the USB drive appear as drives F,G,H and I or is that another removable
device(s)?

If the USB pen drive appears as drive A: try changing it to something unused
like M:

For instructions see..

"How to assign a drive letter" or "How to change a drive letter" on this
page...
http://support.microsoft.com/default...307844&sd=tech

Old June 29th 05, 01:01 PM
Caddy

Hey there Cwatters, Sorry for delay in replying...cause I had been very
busy with some school work.

Anyway, When i plug the USB in, the Drive does appear on "My Computer"
as Drive (A)
I go to "Computer Management" trying to change/assign drive letter but
it doesn't show up Drive A: click on the link to see what i mean...
http://img143.echo.cx/img143/751/com...agement1ge.png

Thanks again

Caddy

Old June 30th 05, 09:40 AM
CWatters

"Caddy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey there Cwatters, Sorry for delay in replying...cause I had been very
busy with some school work.

Anyway, When i plug the USB in, the Drive does appear on "My Computer"
as Drive (A)
I go to "Computer Management" trying to change/assign drive letter but
it doesn't show up Drive A: click on the link to see what i mean...
http://img143.echo.cx/img143/751/com...agement1ge.png

Thanks again

I'm at a loss to know what to suggest really. Is there a 3.5" floppy drive
installed in your PC? Does that appear as drive A: when the pen drive is
disconnected? If you don't have a floppy drive then perhaps fitting one
would force the pen drive to another drive letter?

Old July 1st 05, 09:22 PM
Caddy

No. There're no 3.5 Floppy drive installed. and it doesn't show any
Drive A: on the "My Computer" either. its Only show up the 3.5 floppy
(drive A when I plug my Pen Drive into the USB port. If i unplug it
the Pen Drive, the 3.5 floppy (drive A will disappear.

Any other ideas...?

Old July 2nd 05, 06:49 PM
CWatters

"Caddy" wrote in message
ups.com...
No. There're no 3.5 Floppy drive installed. and it doesn't show any
Drive A: on the "My Computer" either. its Only show up the 3.5 floppy
(drive A when I plug my Pen Drive into the USB port. If i unplug it
the Pen Drive, the 3.5 floppy (drive A will disappear.

Any other ideas...?

Sorry no. The only thing I can think of trying is to actually fit a floppy
drive so that it takes the A: slot then try connecting the pen drive. Might
work and Floppy drives are quite cheap. Think I got one for $10 once.

Old July 3rd 05, 02:08 AM
Eric Gisin

"CWatters" wrote in message

Sorry no. The only thing I can think of trying is to actually fit a floppy
drive so that it takes the A: slot then try connecting the pen drive. Might
work and Floppy drives are quite cheap. Think I got one for $10 once.

You don't need a real drive. Just enable it in the BIOS and DOS and Win 2K/XP allocate A. Most
likely, the pen drive moves to B.

I would check the pen drive CD for software to configure or format.