6800 freezes up, but 6600GT doesnt. (Long post, and maybe TMI)

Old March 28th 05, 01:57 AM
One of Many

Default 6800 freezes up, but 6600GT doesnt. (Long post, and maybe TMI)

My new MSI 6800 will lock system up playing Everquest II. I have tired
over and underclocking card. I am currently using 71.84, but have also
tried tried 67.66. I have used Intel Desktop Control Center to set the
following settings to:

FSB 821
Memory 547
PCI E 104
PCI 36
tRAS 12
CL 4
tRCD 4
tRP 4

Default settings a

FSB 800
Memory 533
PCI E 100
PCI 33
tRAS 12
CL 4
tRCD 4
tRP 4

Other system info is:

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft
Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
(IE 6.0 SP2)
DirectX 4.09.00.0904
(DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:
CPU Type 630, 3000 MHz
(15 x 200)
Motherboard Name Intel Battle
Lake D915PBL (4 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset Intel
Grantsdale i915P
System Memory 1024 MB (DDR2
SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (01/28/05)
Communication Port Communications
Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce
6800 (256 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce
6800 PCI-E
Monitor Plug and Play
Monitor [NoDB] (FWUD35104233U)

Number of CPUs 2 (1 Physical)

CPU #1
APIC ID 0
Name Intel Pentium 4 630
Code name Prescott
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Family/Model/Stepping F43
Extended Family/Model 0/0
Package LGA775
Core Stepping N0
Technology 0.09µ
Instructions Sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64
Clock Speed 3078.3 MHz
Clock multiplier x15.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 205.2 MHz
Bus Speed 820.9 MHz
L1 Data Cache 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Trace Cache 12 Kµops, 8-way set associative
L2 Cache 2048 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 3078.3 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 256 bits

CPU #2 (logical unit)
APIC ID 1
Name Intel Pentium 4 630
Code name Prescott
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Family/Model/Stepping F43
Extended Family/Model 0/0
Package LGA775
Core Stepping N0
Technology 0.09µ
Instructions Sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64
Clock Speed 3078.3 MHz
Clock multiplier x15.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 205.2 MHz
Bus Speed 820.9 MHz
L1 Data Cache 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Trace Cache 12 Kµops, 8-way set associative
L2 Cache 2048 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 3078.3 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 256 bits

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801FB
ICH6 - High Definition Audio Controller [B-1]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel(R)
82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2652
IDE Controller Intel(R)
82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F
Disk Drive Maxtor 6B250S0
(250 GB, 7200 RPM, Serial-ATA/150)
Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y120M0
(120 GB, 7200 RPM, Serial-ATA/150)
Optical Drive PLEXTOR DVDR
PX-716A
SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

CPU Properties:
CPU Type Unknown
Engineering Sample No
CPUID CPU Name Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
CPUID Revision 00000F43h

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 3001.74 MHz
(original: 3000 MHz)
CPU Multiplier 15.0x
CPU FSB 200.12 MHz
(original: 200 MHz)
Memory Bus 266.82 MHz

CPU Cache:
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache 16 KB
L2 Cache 2 MB (On-Die,
ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID
63-0100-000001-00101111-012805-iSPGDL_G$CY915001_BIOS Date: 01/28/05
08:18:41 Ver: 08.
Motherboard Name Intel Battle
Lake D915PBL (4 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, LAN)

Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset Intel
Grantsdale i915P
Memory Timings 4-4-4-12
(CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID
63-0100-000001-00101111-012805-iSPGDL_G$CY915001_BIOS Date: 01/28/05
08:18:41 Ver: 08.
Motherboard Name Intel Battle
Lake D915PBL

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 200 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 800 MHz
Bandwidth 6400 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type Dual DDR2 SDRAM
Bus Width 128-bit
Real Clock 267 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 533 MHz
Bandwidth 8533 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel Direct
Media Interface

Motherboard Physical Info:
CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 775
Expansion Slots 4 PCI, 2 PCI-E
x1, 1 PCI-E x16
RAM Slots 4 DDR2 DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, LAN
Form Factor ATX
Motherboard Size 240 mm x 300 mm
Motherboard Chipset i915P

Motherboard Manufacturer:
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/index.htm
BIOS Download
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/genbios.htm

--------[ Memory
]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Physical Memory:
Total 1021 MB
Used 346 MB
Free 675 MB
Utilization 34 %

Swap Space:
Total 2453 MB
Used 243 MB
Free 2210 MB
Utilization 10 %

Virtual Memory:
Total 3475 MB
Used 589 MB
Free 2886 MB
Utilization 17 %

--------[ SPD
]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ DIMM1: Micron Tech. 16HTF6464AY-53EB2 ]

Memory Module Properties:
Module Name Micron Tech.
16HTF6464AY-53EB2
Serial Number 0D0CC018h
Manufacture Date Week 4 / 2005
Module Size 512 MB (2 rows,
4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type DDR2 SDRAM
Memory Speed DDR2-533 (266 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage SSTL 1.8
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8
us), Self-Refresh

Memory Timings:
@ 266 MHz 4.0-4-4-12
(CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
@ 200 MHz 3.0-3-3-9
(CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Memory Module Features:
Early RAS# Precharge Supported
Auto-Precharge Not Supported
Precharge All Not Supported
Write1/Read Burst Not Supported
Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported
Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Differential Clock Input Not Supported
Redundant Row Address Not Supported

Memory Module Manufacturer:
Company Name Micron
Technology, Inc.
Product Information
http://www.micron.com/products/category.jsp?path=/DRAM

[ DIMM3: Micron Tech. 16HTF6464AY-53EB2 ]

Memory Module Properties:
Module Name Micron Tech.
16HTF6464AY-53EB2
Serial Number 0D0CC019h
[...]

--------[ Chipset
]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ North Bridge: Intel Grantsdale i915P ]

North Bridge Properties:
North Bridge Intel
Grantsdale i915P
Revision / Stepping 00 / A0
Package Type 1210 Pin FC-BGA
Package Size 3.75 cm x 3.75 cm
Core Voltage 1.5 V
In-Order Queue Depth 12

Memory Controller:
Type Dual Channel
(128-bit)
Active Mode Dual Channel
(128-bit)

Memory Timings:
CAS Latency (CL) 4T
RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 4T
RAS Precharge (tRP) 4T
RAS Active Time (tRAS) 12T

Error Correction:
ECC Not Supported
ChipKill ECC Not Supported
ECC Scrubbing Not Supported

Memory Slots:
DRAM Slot #1 512 MB (DDR2
SDRAM)
DRAM Slot #2 512 MB (DDR2
SDRAM)

PCI Express Controller:
PCI-E x16 port #2 In Use @ x16
(nVIDIA GeForce 6800 PCI-E Video Adapter)

Chipset Manufacturer:
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information
http://www.intel.com/products/browse/chipsets.htm
Driver Download
http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/index.htm

[ South Bridge: Intel 82801FR ICH6R ]

South Bridge Properties:
South Bridge Intel 82801FR ICH6R
Revision / Stepping D3 / B1
Package Type 609 Pin mBGA
Package Size 3.1 cm x 3.1 cm
Core Voltage 1.5 V

PCI Express Controller:
PCI-E x1 port #1 Empty
PCI-E x1 port #2 Empty
PCI-E x1 port #3 Empty
PCI-E x1 port #4 Empty

Chipset Manufacturer:
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information
http://www.intel.com/products/browse/chipsets.htm
Driver Download
http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/index.htm

--------[ Operating System
]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operating System Properties:
OS Name Microsoft
Windows XP Professional
OS Code Name Whistler
OS Language English (United
States)
OS Kernel Type Multiprocessor Free
OS Version 5.1.2600 (WinXP
Retail)
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
OS Installation Date 3/18/2005
OS Root C:\WINDOWS

UpTime 6595 sec (0
days, 1 hours, 49 min, 55 sec)

Components Version:
Common Controls 6.00
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
(IE 6.0 SP2)
Internet Explorer Updates SP2
Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Windows Media Player 10.00.00.3646
MSN Messenger -
Internet Information Services -
.NET Framework 1.1.4322.573
Novell Client -
DirectX 4.09.00.0904
(DirectX 9.0c)
OpenGL 5.1.2600.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
ASPI -

SPD Memory Modules:
DIMM1: Micron Tech. 16HTF6464AY-53EB2 512 MB DDR2-533
DDR2 SDRAM (4.0-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3.0-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)
DIMM3: Micron Tech. 16HTF6464AY-53EB2 512 MB DDR2-533
DDR2 SDRAM (4.0-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3.0-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)

BIOS Properties:
System BIOS Date 01/28/05
Video BIOS Date 10/18/04
DMI BIOS Version
CY91510A.86A.0031.2005.0128.0818

Graphics Processor Properties:
DirectX 4.09.00.0904
(DirectX 9.0c)

Sensor Properties:
Tsystem 40 °C (104 °F)
Tcpu 52 °C (126 °F)
Taux 40 °C (104 °F)
Fcpu 2240 RPM
Fsystem 1599 RPM
Fcase 1090 RPM
Fpowersupply 1364 RPM
Vcore 1.35 V
V2.5 1.50 V
Vio 3.30 V

[ Memory Controller ]

Memory Controller Properties:
Error Detection Method 64-bit ECC
Error Correction None
Supported Memory Interleave 1-Way
Current Memory Interleave 1-Way
Supported Memory Speeds 70ns, 60ns
Supported Memory Types SPM, FPM, EDO,
Parity, ECC, SIMM, DIMM, BEDO, SDRAM
Supported Memory Voltages 3.3V
Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MB
Memory Slots 4

I should note that this card works fine in another box. Same driver, but
540 proc on another 915 MB. The MSI 6600GT from that box works fine on
this box, but just a bit laggier, and some textures seem to be missing.
(Barely noticeable, and may be just me)

Any ideas?
Old March 28th 05, 02:24 AM
McGrandpa

"One of Many" wrote in message

My new MSI 6800 will lock system up playing Everquest II. I have tired
over and underclocking card. I am currently using 71.84, but have also
tried tried 67.66. I have used Intel Desktop Control Center to set the
following settings to:

snipped for brevity

I should note that this card works fine in another box. Same driver,
but 540 proc on another 915 MB. The MSI 6600GT from that box works
fine on this box, but just a bit laggier, and some textures seem to
be missing. (Barely noticeable, and may be just me)

Any ideas?

FWIW- I played Far Cry, Doom3 and IL2+AEP+PF on a FX5900, then a
Ti4600, then a 6800-128 in that order and with no problems. I went one
further, and bought a 6800GT. Now all my other games did fine, TR: AoD,
UT2004, Morrowind, Half-Life2. No problems with them. But those first
three? All kinds of problems. CTD's, flashing textures, stuttering,
etc. Uninstalling those three and then re-installing them, allowing
them to install with the 6800GT in and they detected it, helped. Before
reinstalling, IL2 wouldn't even run with the 6800GT. Doom3 looked
pretty bad, and was very slow. Far Cry was hugely flashing textures,
missing textures, and CTD's. With the reinstall, an occasional flicker
in Far Cry but otherwise perfect. Doom3...well....it's stunning and
very quick now. I fly IL2 in perfect mode and it's beautiful.
Not all games work the same way. I can't explain why those three games
acted up and none of the others did.
Just thinking that maybe the same would help your problem. You
wouldn't think it could make that much difference. But for my 3 games,
it did.
McG.

Old March 28th 05, 04:27 AM
One of Many

McGrandpa wrote:
"One of Many" wrote in message

[...]

Well, I did uninstall with Driver Cleaner, and physicly took cards out
(I guess hard to swap without that step, heh) and didnt last 5 min
before the lockup, and NV4_disp screen ( Will be switching cards
back, but will miss some detail. FWIW, Sony says the highest settings
arent supported by current technology yet, but even with average,
quality settings it looks awesome. Very high quality starts having lag,
and extreme quality (or whatever) looks great, but you have a hard time
moving.

Thanks
Old March 28th 05, 06:03 PM
Folk

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 03:27:52 GMT, One of Many
wrote:

McGrandpa wrote:
"One of Many" wrote in message

[...]

You misunderstood. McG was recommending you reinstall the *game*, not
the card.

Old March 28th 05, 06:15 PM
One of Many

/snip

You misunderstood. McG was recommending you reinstall the *game*, not
the card.

Yes I did misunderstand, but FWIW, I have already reinstalled the game
too. Also did a clean install of system after format. I have switched
cards again and both cards running fine on both systems. Still would
like to know why the 6800 wont run on this one.
Old March 28th 05, 11:37 PM
McGrandpa

wrote:

McGrandpa wrote:
"One of Many" wrote in message

[...]

Right, the card and drivers were fine. Had to be or those other DX9
games would also have choked. But for me, it was just those three games
that seemed to need to detect the 6800GT for some reason. Didn't matter
going from Ti4600 to FX5900 to 6800 plain. It DID matter a lot going to
the 6800GT.
McG.

Old March 28th 05, 11:39 PM
McGrandpa

"One of Many" wrote in message
news
/snip

You misunderstood. McG was recommending you reinstall the *game*,
not the card.

Yes I did misunderstand, but FWIW, I have already reinstalled the game
too. Also did a clean install of system after format. I have switched
cards again and both cards running fine on both systems. Still would
like to know why the 6800 wont run on this one.

Ok, what's the rig specs of the two systems? And opsys of each. Might
be able to find something.
McG.

Old March 29th 05, 01:38 AM
DaveW

What are the brand and specs of the Power Supply Unit you are using? It
sounds like the more power demanding 6800 card is being power starved by the
PSU.

--
DaveW

Date: 01/28/05 08:18:41 Ver: 08.
[...]

--------[
Memory ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Physical Memory:
Total 1021 MB
Used 346 MB
Free 675 MB
Utilization 34 %

Swap Space:
Total 2453 MB
Used 243 MB
Free 2210 MB
Utilization 10 %

Virtual Memory:
Total 3475 MB
Used 589 MB
Free 2886 MB
Utilization 17 %

--------[
[...]

South Bridge Intel 82801FR
ICH6R
Revision / Stepping D3 / B1
Package Type 609 Pin mBGA
Package Size 3.1 cm x 3.1 cm
Core Voltage 1.5 V

PCI Express Controller:
PCI-E x1 port #1 Empty
PCI-E x1 port #2 Empty
PCI-E x1 port #3 Empty
PCI-E x1 port #4 Empty

Chipset Manufacturer:

Old March 31st 05, 07:17 PM
One of Many

DaveW wrote:
What are the brand and specs of the Power Supply Unit you are using? It
sounds like the more power demanding 6800 card is being power starved by the
PSU.

It's an Antec NeoPower 480. Should be plenty.

+5V 38A
+12V1 18A
+12V2 15A
+3.3V 30A
-12V 1A
+5sb 2A

Continuous 480W
Peak 12V(1+2) 32A
Old March 31st 05, 07:30 PM
One of Many

Ok, what's the rig specs of the two systems? And opsys of each. Might
be able to find something.
McG.

Mine:
System Information report written at: 03/31/05 12:20:16
System Name: WILLOWWOOD
[System Summary]

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer INTEL_
System Model D915PBL_
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~3000 Mhz (Intel
630)
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~3000 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. CY91510A.86A.0031.2005.0128.0818, 1/28/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 655.25 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.95 GB
Page File Space 2.40 GB
Page File F:\pagefile.sys

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 6600 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0140&SUBSYS_2009107D&REV_A2
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.7184 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 2/24/2005 07:32:00, 3973888 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
Mini VDD Date: 2/24/2005 07:32:00, 3454144 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4200-11CF-DD6F-030003C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0140
SubSys ID: 0x2009107D
Revision ID: 0x00A2
Revision ID: 0x00A2
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_B ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D
ModeWMV9_B ModeWMV9_A

Other system:

System Information report written at: 03/31/05 12:01:30
System Name: CATLIN
[System Summary]

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer INTEL_
System Model D915PCY_
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2800 Mhz (Intel
520)
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2800 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. CY91510A.86A.0012.2004.0609.1806, 6/9/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 709.56 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.95 GB
Page File Space 1.66 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6800
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 6800
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00C1&SUBSYS_98411462&REV_A2
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: SyncMaster 711N/712N
Monitor Max Res: 1280,1024
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.7184 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 2/24/2005 07:32:00, 3973888 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
Mini VDD Date: 2/24/2005 07:32:00, 3454144 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4381-11CF-C26B-4BB803C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x00C1
SubSys ID: 0x98411462

6600GT or 6800 Kurt General 11 December 22nd 04 11:27 AM
6800 Ultra - how long is it? Richard Dower Nvidia Videocards 32 August 20th 04 10:40 PM
Valid Points 101: 2x P4 Xeons + Hyperthreading + Windows XP Professional / W2K / NT4 / *Nix (long post!) Duncan, Eric A. General 7 February 3rd 04 06:06 PM
Mother board takes a long time to post BP General 3 November 25th 03 03:57 PM
Get the Serial Number with Visual Basic Michael Wittmann Storage (alternative) 15 November 15th 03 07:03 PM