REQ: Dell branded Windows Media Center Edition 2005..

Old March 16th 05, 10:45 AM
allegro

Default REQ: Dell branded Windows Media Center Edition 2005..

Hi,

I posted this question before, but until this week, i still hoped Dell would
help me out in the end.

As posted before, ordered a Dimension 8400 with MCE2005 in October. It
worked great, however after a few months i decided i would do a fresh
install to get rid of all the Dell stuff.
Then i found out, about 40% of the Dutch Dell version of MCE2005 was
unreadible..
I tried cleaning the disc, recovering the data with isobuster, other data
recovery tools and even 2 computer shops tried to help me out. In the end,
it was impossible to get a working disc.
I tried the dvd-rom reader of my own 2 machines, and the systems they had in
those shops..

I've called and emailed Dell for a replacement disc for about 6 weeks or
more, but they refused to send me one. They didn't really explained why,
until last monday.
Dell claims i had to send the software back within 30 days after the systems
arrival, however it was working fine then..
One of the reasons that i did a fresh install, was because i bought a new tv
tuner (Hauppauge PVR500 MCE)
They also told me, they dropped MCE2005 from the site (which i verified),
because only a few people in Holland ordered it.

So, it's impossible to get any support from Dell, i guess.. (It sucks,
because i paid for it)

That's the reason i tried posting on this group and the Dell forums, the
largest Dell userbases i could think of..

If there's any chance finding a Dell owner with a Dell branded copy of
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, i guess it's here..

So, since Dell isn't helping, i'm still hoping a Dell MCE2005 owner is
willing to help..

What i need is a copy of the Dell branded version of MCE2005 to get my Dell
key and licence working.. (At the moment, i don't care if it's Dutch,
English or another language)
Microsoft Support told me a few weeks ago, that if i have original disc,
cdkey and licence, i can use any Dell branded MCE2005 copy.. Doesn't matter
if it's original, a copy or a downloaded version.

I'm willing to pay a small fee for anyone, who could help me out uploading
the disc (i need the Dell copy) to my XDrive account, a newsgroup or
whatever.
I could also download it from an FTP server, if that's what you prefer.

My best option would be a full disc, so i can recreate the directory
structure, cdlabel, etc of the Dell disc..
But, i could work with about 13mb of needed files from the Dell MCE2005 disc
as well. (Since chances are small to obtain a Dutch copy)
I can use those files to change a regular OEM copy, to a Dell version that
doesn't need activation or a key.

So, i really hope someone could upload a copy of the dvd or those needed
files i specified below.

Thanks,

Allegro.

To upload the full disc or the 12mb of needed files -specified below- (and
maybe the content i'm missing), i can get it from FTP, or you can use any
binaries newsgroup or my
XDrive account:
http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/7...VQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek
User:
Pass: upload

I can pay a small fee with Paypal, or if someone makes a copy and sends it
by regular mail, i can mail cash to you.

P.S: You can always just email me if you don't want to reply in this group.
P.S2: My copy of the Dell MCE disc (Dutch)
http://img87.exs.cx/img87/1228/dutchdellmce1bg.jpg (now it's even more
defective, tried to polish it..)

The files i need from the Dell labeled MCE2005 cd:

-------- The needed files ---------
In folder \I386:
DPCDLL.DL_
EULA.TXT
NT5INF.CA_
OEMBIOS.BI_
OEMBIOS.CA_
OEMBIOS.DA_
OEMBIOS.SI_
PIDGEN.DLL
SETUPP.INI
SETUPREG.HIV
UNATTEND.TXT
WINNT.SIF

In folder I386\WIN9XUPG:
WIN95UPG.INF

Then you could archive it with Winzip or WinRar.

You could create a batchfile that copies the needed files, from in my case
the G: drive (cd-rom) to the folder C:\XPbios.

Copy and paste this to a new txtfile (notepad) :

@ECHO OFF
:START
MKDIR C:\XPbios
MKDIR C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG
COPY G:\I386\DPCDLL.DL_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\EULA.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\NT5INF.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.BI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.DA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.SI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\PIDGEN.DLL "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\SETUPP.INI "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\SETUPREG.HIV "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\WIN9XUPG\WIN95UPG.INF "C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\UNATTEND.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\WINNT.SIF "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V

Save as for instance XPbios.bat -you may have to edit location of cd and
folder-, then save it and double cick it..

On C:\ there is a new folder created called XPbios with the needed files,
you can now use WinZip or WinRar and upload it to
http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/7...VQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek