USB W2K driver install problems samsung ML-1430

Old June 3rd 04, 10:39 PM
Roger

Default USB W2K driver install problems samsung ML-1430

I am having problems getting a samsung-1430 laser printer
recognized/usb driver properly installed on my windows 2000 box and am
wondering if anyone has seen the same problem and maybe a fix. A
search for a solution on google and going to the manufacturers website
turned up nada. Here's how to recreate the problem.

-download the latest ML-1430 driver from www.samsung.com by navigating
the support pages: ML1430_Win.exe and run it. install driver sw on
hard drive. ok so far.
-plug in printer, device manager fires up ok trying to recognize new
device
driver install fails with msg "unknown device"
-goto my computer, manage, devices, get device properties in USB with
the yellow-ball and question mark
-choose update device driver. it's looking for:
C:\WINNT\Samsung\ML1430\AddPrint
with filename of: ssgw6.inf
This file is there OK.
So I click OK.
-windows then says it found a driver with a closer match:
c:\winnt\inf\usb.inf
If I click OK then it uses usb.inf, the device manager still shows a
failed device in usb browser
-Clicking back or cancel is useless as they do nothing.

What I have already tried:
-uninstalling and reinstalling driver and reconnecting printer
-installing in different usb ports
-uninstalling the complete USB tree and letting OS re-install all
devices.
-ran a registry cleaning utility (systemworks windoctor)

I am running Microsoft Windows 2000 Pro with all the updates.

Driver Files Installed:
C:\WINNTcd C:\WINNT\Samsung\ML1430
C:\WINNT\Samsung\ML1430dir
Volume in drive C is Sys
Directory of C:\WINNT\Samsung\ML1430
06/03/2004 02:07p DIR .
06/03/2004 02:07p DIR ..
06/03/2004 02:07p DIR AddPrint
10/26/2002 10:28a 972,020 data1.cab
10/26/2002 10:28a 40,555 data1.hdr
10/26/2002 10:28a 2,112,779 data2.cab
09/05/2001 12:24p 344,923 ikernel.ex_
10/26/2002 10:28a 525 layout.bin
04/11/2001 07:07p 166,912 Setup.exe
10/26/2002 10:28a 181 Setup.ini
10/30/2002 09:58a 138,135 setup.inx
04/20/2002 03:19p 28,672 Srefresh.exe
03/14/2002 01:23p 2,439 ssgw6pnt.dat
05/24/2002 09:08p 126,976 Sspnt2kxp.dll
05/17/2002 11:54a 122,880 Sspnt98me.dll
03/14/2002 10:36a 126,976 Sspntnt95.dll
13 File(s) 4,183,973 bytes
3 Dir(s) 8,421,638,144 bytes free

C:\WINNT\Samsung\ML1430cd addprint

C:\WINNT\Samsung\ML1430\AddPrintdir
Volume in drive C is Sys

Directory of C:\WINNT\Samsung\ML1430\AddPrint

06/03/2004 02:07p DIR .
06/03/2004 02:07p DIR ..
03/14/2002 01:23p 2,439 Pntinfo.dat
09/19/2002 06:07p 9,313 ssgw6.cat