3 monitors on XP w/SP2 how to get them to work ?

Old October 25th 04, 01:36 AM
Ronald Ortiz

Default 3 monitors on XP w/SP2 how to get them to work ?

I have a Dell 4600 machine running XP with SP2

Dell 4600 came with a Nvidia MX 420 graphics card and a 17" Dell monitor

I installed a Nvidia e-geforce MX 400 graphics card with a 17" Sony
Trinitron Multiscan 17sf II to have a second monitor running a couple months
back ...smooth install works great

I came across a 17"CTX model PL7 monitor....bought Nvidia Geforce MX 4000
graphics card install card...install software..

restart computer enable nView start setting up display setting ...
resolution , color quality , extend my windows desktop onto this monitor,
etc

main monitor #1 setup - works fine . (Dell monitor with MX420)

#2 monitor (Sony monitor with e-geforce MX400) setup and works

setup CTX monitor with Geforce MX4000 card hit the apply button....BLAM !
computer hangs ups...black screen on all monitors.. a few minutes later will
get blue screen error msg something about graphics software in a "loop"

I have to go into safe mode to uninstall nvidia software....restart
....reinstall invidia.software.. then all is find with running just 2
monitors

I notice when i have all 3 cards installed monitors attached and the
software is installed before setting up monitors using the nVidia
software....
main monitor #1 is working (Dell)
#2 monitor has a Blue block that fills half the screen (Sony)
and the third monitor is all gray/black... (CTX) --- should it also have
its screen filled with a half of blue block ?

Things i have tried
tested CTX monitor works find on my system using MX420 or MX400 card
returned Nvidia geforce MX4000 card and got another "new card"
follow the instruction on uninstalling "old" graphics software and install
nvidia software
change/moved graphics card GeForce MX4000 in different PCI slot
tried several times to uninstall and reinstall nvidia software
searched nVidia Microsoft Dell web sites for help

How or what card should i be using to get 3 monitors running on my system ?

Thanks
Ron

#2 monitor has a Blue block that fills half the screen (Sony)
and the third monitor is all gray/black... (CTX) --- should it also
have its screen filled with a half of blue block ?

Things i have tried
tested CTX monitor works find on my system using MX420 or MX400 card
returned Nvidia geforce MX4000 card and got another "new card"
follow the instruction on uninstalling "old" graphics software and
install nvidia software
change/moved graphics card GeForce MX4000 in different PCI slot
tried several times to uninstall and reinstall nvidia software
searched nVidia Microsoft Dell web sites for help

How or what card should i be using to get 3 monitors running on my
system ?

Thanks
Ron

Wow that brings back memories...or should I say nitemares, lol..heres my 3
monitor setup from a little while ago. (butchered link below).
3, when it works is great, but the tweaking will get ya...Consider just
using 2 lol. One of my cards was a dualhead, maybe that made it easier for
me at the time.

w w w dot
realtimesoft.com/multimon/results.asp?Card1=738&Card2=388&Card3=&OS=Win98&OS
=WinXP&SearchType=SearchConfig

Old October 27th 04, 04:09 AM
Ronald Ortiz

neopolaris thank you for the web link.... it was a great help... you can
look at almost every combination of graphic card and see what the problems
were or how well it worked...

after a little research on the web... I have the opinion that the XFX
Geforce MX 4000 graphics card is not a worthwhile card to own...

returned this card....

I went to Circuit City and purchased a evga. eGeForce FX 5200 agp card.....
removed my Geforce4 MX420 agp card from my system put in new 5200 card
I left in my evga eGeForce MX 400 pci card

Started my computer and everything worked just find on first startup...
I used the software provided and tweaked it to my liking...

I now have 3 monitors that work just the way I want ... life is good...

thanks ago neopolaris

Ron