Open GL

Old August 8th 04, 07:53 PM
Pat

Default Open GL

I'm new at this, but what is open GL and what is the benefit? I'm going to
be upgrading my video card, but right now I have a Radeon 7500. I have a
AMDXP 2000+. Should I install 1.0 gig DDR? What do I need to do to play
DOOM 3?

TIA,
Pat

Old August 8th 04, 07:59 PM
ccs

"Pat" wrote in message
I'm new at this, but what is open GL and what is the benefit? I'm going

be upgrading my video card, but right now I have a Radeon 7500. I have a
AMDXP 2000+. Should I install 1.0 gig DDR? What do I need to do to play
DOOM 3?

TIA,
Pat

You need to dump the ATI card for OpenGL and get an NVIDIA card, 1st off.
ATI cards have horrible OpenGL performance.

Old August 8th 04, 08:58 PM
Martin S.

Open GL is short for Open Graphics Language. It was suppose to be an
alterative to Direct-X back when Direct-X was shaky at best. It never really
took off in a big way for the home market, except at ID Software.

Old August 8th 04, 09:02 PM
Danny

Martin S. wrote:
Open GL is short for Open Graphics Language. It was suppose to be an
alterative to Direct-X back when Direct-X was shaky at best. It never
really took off in a big way for the home market, except at ID
Software.

It actually means Open Graphics Layer.
Never took off? You kidding? Sure it might not be as widespread but to say
it never took off reeks of ignorance.

--
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Old August 8th 04, 09:08 PM
Martin S.

My bad, I haven't got through my first coffee yet. But... Direct-X is
much more prevalent in games than OpenGL.

Old August 8th 04, 09:11 PM
Danny

Pat wrote:
I'm new at this, but what is open GL and what is the benefit? I'm
going to be upgrading my video card, but right now I have a Radeon
7500. I have a AMDXP 2000+. Should I install 1.0 gig DDR? What do
I need to do to play DOOM 3?

You need a better video card for a start, and not ATi - they're apparently
addressing their Opengl shortcomings but it's taken 2 years and their Doom 3
drivers are highly BETA.
Opengl is basically the best option if you're on an Nvidia card - where
Direct3D could be accused of being bloaty openg is more streamlined and
'pure'.
For a new card I'd recommend the 6800 GT or Ultra without hesitation - it is
an outstanding piece of technology.
As for the RAM, yes, if you can, get another gig - can never have too much
RAM. Your CPU will be a bottleneck though - I don't know if you'd be able to
play at medium settings with it even *with* a GT...

Old August 8th 04, 09:47 PM
Danny

Martin S. wrote:
My bad, I haven't got through my first coffee yet.

Heh, cool.

But... Direct-X
is much more prevalent in games than OpenGL.

Indeed, I never said otherwise dear boy.

Old August 8th 04, 09:52 PM
Jamie_Manic

"Danny" wrote in message
Pat wrote:
I'm new at this, but what is open GL and what is the benefit? I'm
going to be upgrading my video card, but right now I have a Radeon
7500. I have a AMDXP 2000+. Should I install 1.0 gig DDR? What do
I need to do to play DOOM 3?

You need a better video card for a start, and not ATi - they're apparently
addressing their Opengl shortcomings but it's taken 2 years and their Doom

3
drivers are highly BETA.
Opengl is basically the best option if you're on an Nvidia card - where
Direct3D could be accused of being bloaty openg is more streamlined and
'pure'.

Although very few games actually use OpenGL these days.

Old August 8th 04, 10:11 PM
Danny

Jamie_Manic wrote:

You need a better video card for a start, and not ATi - they're
apparently addressing their Opengl shortcomings but it's taken 2
years and their Doom 3 drivers are highly BETA.
Opengl is basically the best option if you're on an Nvidia card -
where Direct3D could be accused of being bloaty openg is more
streamlined and 'pure'.

Although very few games actually use OpenGL these days.

Tragic isn't it? I don't understand why an API which is way better than D3D
in every respect, and is entirely *free* unlike D3D, which requires a
licence to be paid to MS, isn't more widespread.

Old August 8th 04, 10:33 PM
Derek Baker

ccs wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message
I'm new at this, but what is open GL and what is the benefit? I'm
going to be upgrading my video card, but right now I have a Radeon
7500. I have a AMDXP 2000+. Should I install 1.0 gig DDR? What
do I need to do to play DOOM 3?

TIA,
Pat

You need to dump the ATI card for OpenGL and get an NVIDIA card, 1st
off. ATI cards have horrible OpenGL performance.

It's less good than Nvidia, rather than horrible. If you're only going to be
playing Doom 3 get an Nvidia card; if you going to be playing generally,
where the majority of games are DirectX, then it's a more open choice.

--
Derek