The next Unreal engine...

Old February 29th 04, 08:03 AM
Andrew

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 22:38:55 GMT, drocket wrote:

And it still doesn't make sense that they're targetting their current
game at a tiny, tiny market (people who want to play 3d shooters on a
notebook), but with their next game, they're planning to cut out a
large chunk of the market (anyone who doesn't have a high-end
videocard from the next year or so. And that's going to include the
entire notebook market they're currently trying to cater to.)

I dare say they have good reason to believe there is a bigger
potential market than you do, I can't imagine they went to all the
pain of writing a software renderer just to satisfy a couple of users.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
Old February 29th 04, 08:05 AM
drocket

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 07:03:26 +0000, Andrew spamtrap@localhost wrote:

I dare say they have good reason to believe there is a bigger
potential market than you do, I can't imagine they went to all the
pain of writing a software renderer just to satisfy a couple of users.

So why are they planning to dump them (and a large percentage of
desktop users) in the next version?
Old February 29th 04, 05:44 PM
Walter Mitty

"Kevin C." brightened my day with his incisive wit
when in om he
conjectured that:

wrote in message
In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati faster_framerates

wrote:
I'm sorry, but what is the benefit of excluding a market of
consumers with average video cards?

They are targeting average video cards, it's just that they're
targeting the average cards of 2006.

That's somewhat contradictory with his statement that he wishes the
Intel video chips would go away. Whether you choose to believe it or
not, most people do not own high end GPUs today, nor will they
tomorrow.

Yes they will. The "average" will be higher capabilities than today.