AGP card voltage

Old February 23rd 04, 03:27 AM
Hackworth

Default AGP card voltage

Is the TNT2 a 1.5V card?

I ask because I think I screwed up. I plugged it into one P4 motherboard and
it didn't work. The system wouldn't even boot.

I plugged it into a another cheap spare P4 motherboard that I had lying
around and when I switched it on, I heard a soft "pop" and saw a small puff
of smoke coming off the mobo. (Oh, and there's nothing like the smell of
burnt electronics in the late evening.) Needless to say, that motherboard
doesn't work at al now... with any video card!

The TNT2 card has the two little notches on the contact edge which I thought
meant that it was a 1.5V card. Did I goof royally?

Old February 23rd 04, 03:34 AM
Bronxtim

Old February 23rd 04, 04:14 AM
Hackworth

"Bronxtim" wrote in message

Well now... that pretty much explains everything, doesn't it? Grrrrrr!

This is the best part (from the URL above):

A number of cards have been identified that have the 1.5 Volt notch, but are
actually 3.3Volt cards. These a

- some nVidia Riva TNT2 cards
- all nVidia Vanta, Vanta LT cards
snip

Isn't that just peachy?!

Old February 23rd 04, 04:27 AM
Bronxtim

Isn't that just peachy?!

Well, at least you know it ain't your fault you got some dead hardware!
Old February 23rd 04, 04:39 AM
Hackworth

"Bronxtim" wrote in message
Isn't that just peachy?!

Well, at least you know it ain't your fault you got some dead hardware!

And I was trying so hard to be careful, too! :-(

Old February 23rd 04, 05:03 AM
Doug Whitesell \(Verizon\)

This, sadly, has been a known issue with the nVidia TNT cards...that nobody
knows about. :-|

I've fried a board like that, and promptly smashed the offending card, and
put the rest of my TNT2's (I owned three, now down to two) in the special
place reserved for older hardware.

Argh.
--
Doug Whitesell