128MB vs. 256MB

Old February 16th 04, 12:53 AM
April High

Default 128MB vs. 256MB

Hey all!! I would just like to get some opinions on whether to go with a
128mb FX card or a 256mb card. I have been looking at the Chaintech 5600
ultra or the 5700. Only looking to spend about $150.00. Any opinions are
welcome.

Thanks for the info

Old February 16th 04, 01:10 AM
FatDaddy

you wont notice the differance in the etra 128 but you will in getting the
fastest card

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/...charts-03.html

Old February 16th 04, 04:48 AM
Emmi

I should be able to get a Chaintech 5700 ultra for about 160.00 with 128 mb
ram. Would this be a better option? I looked at the url from your post.
The 5700 U is looking pretty good. I won't miss the extra 128mb ram?
Sorry for the 'newbie' questions, just want to spend my money wisely.

Thanks

Old February 16th 04, 10:43 AM
Darthy

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 04:59:29 GMT, "Emmi" wrote:

I should be able to get a Chaintech 5700 ultra for about 160.00 with 128 mb
ram. Would this be a better option? I looked at the url from your post.
The 5700 U is looking pretty good. I won't miss the extra 128mb ram?
Sorry for the 'newbie' questions, just want to spend my money wisely.

Spend $20 more for the 5900xt and get a MUCH better card... that would
be MORE wise.... MSI brand if possible...

BTW: CompUSA is selling 9800Pros for $199 (after rebate)

Heres a performance chart for you:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...ournament_2003

read reat of article.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old February 18th 04, 03:45 PM
Emmi

Thanks for the info guys!! I think I've decided to go with the 5900xt.
Will this card work ok on an athlon 1.2ghz pc with 768mb RAM and WinXP pro?
I might have to wait to upgrade my mobo and processor for a couple of months
because of the expense of the card.

Mike

Old February 18th 04, 04:43 PM
Kai Robinson

Erm - it will work - but you'll never be able to take advantage of the
5900's power - you need a faster CPU. Even a 1600XP would be a decent
upgrade.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...ml#unreal_tour

Old February 18th 04, 06:29 PM
Emmi

Thanks for the info! I think I will still buy the card as it should be
better than the old mx400 that I am running now. I Plan on upgrading the
mobo and cpu within the next month.

Thank you all
mike

Old February 19th 04, 01:02 AM
Dark Avenger

"Darthy" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 04:59:29 GMT, "Emmi" wrote:

I should be able to get a Chaintech 5700 ultra for about 160.00 with

128
mb
ram. Would this be a better option? I looked at the url from your

post.
The 5700 U is looking pretty good. I won't miss the extra 128mb ram?
Sorry for the 'newbie' questions, just want to spend my money wisely.

Spend $20 more for the 5900xt and get a MUCH better card... that would
be MORE wise.... MSI brand if possible...

BTW: CompUSA is selling 9800Pros for $199 (after rebate)

Heres a performance chart for you:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...ml#unreal_tour
nament_2003

read reat of article.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Why not :-)

A good idea... that is the fun with upgrading, you upgrade one
part..enjoy the better speed ..and then another and see speeds rise on
more then 1 places!