Passive Video Card Cooler?

Old February 15th 04, 10:13 PM
Mark A

Works the same in other businesses also. I once talked to a home builder
about his construction techniques (special insulation, caulking of
sheathing, etc.) and he told me that at one time he spent extra money on
those things inside the wall to make the home tighter, more energy
efficient, and quieter. But he said that no one could see it and

customers
refused to pay extra money for it, and his was loosing his ass on the

extra
costs, so he went back to building crappy homes like the other builders.

But OTOH, be thankful there are companies like Zalman who have

alternative
solutions.

I understand that. The problem is I have to spend an extra 40 bucks for a
heat sink that should have been OK in the first place. As for your
builder friend... I dunno.

After spending some time at the forum link below, I have come to the
conclusion that no fan smaller than 80mm will be quiet. And no fan is likely
to remain quiet for the life of the video card.
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/.

Old February 16th 04, 12:23 AM
Rusty Smith

You might try to mod a 1U server cooper cooler heard that they work well
with the fx series cards.
I plan to do this later on as the fans are 60mm and can be run on a 7v line
(quite & cool).
the price for the 1U run from $12.00 to $25.00 and a demel, drill, and
plactic screws should work.

"Harry Edwards" wrote in message
newsan.2004.02.15.05.14.13.929547@nospamanywhere .com...
I have three FX5600 nvidia cards. So far two of them have fans that make
awfull noises. One from BFG tech and one from MSI. number three is less
than a month old and its OK so far.
What is a good passive graphics card cooler for these cards? I found one
by Zalhman but I'm not sure if it will fit correctly. The Zalman
ZM80A-HP, but I'm not sure which cards it will fit. Thanks!

Old February 20th 04, 07:04 AM
tq96

I understand that. The problem is I have to spend an extra 40 bucks
for a heat sink that should have been OK in the first place. As for

$30 for the Zalman heatpipe is nothing. It's voiding your warranty that's
the killer. I hope by the time I'm ready to get another videocard there is
an OEM in the NVidia camp that is selling cards with pre-installed
heatpipes like Saphire is doing now with ATI cards.