GF4 MX440 and Ti4200 - low scores in 3DMark

Old September 19th 03, 07:19 PM
Dejanews

Default GF4 MX440 and Ti4200 - low scores in 3DMark

Hi,
I've tried both the GeForce4 MX440 64MB and GeForce Ti4200 64MB on my
computer that has an Athlon XP 2400+ (266MHz bus) CPU but I get much
lower scores in 3DMark than people with similar configurations.

These are my best scores so far:

Ti4200 with latest drivers: 8013 (and 8774 @ 640x480 resolution)
Ti4200 overclocked to 290/597 with latest drivers: 8344
Ti4200 overclocked to 290/597 with 40.xx drivers: 8753

MX440: approx. 4500
MX440 overclocked: 4780

With the Ti4200 I've seen people with a score around 10,000 with my
range of CPU. 10,000 is a 25% difference! This would really help for
a game like 'Enter the Matrix' which I am playing right now. The
MX440 also has higher score among other people, but I don't have the
figures with my right now. Why am I not getting this performance?
I've checked various newsgroup articles for an answer to my problem
but can't seem to find any. I have the latest NVidia drivers as well
as the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers. I have AGP Fast Write enabled in
the BIOS, Graphics Aperture also adjusted to 256MB, but still no big
improvement. I really don't want to re-install WindowsXP, unless that
is the sure solution!

My configuration is listed below, as well as the results for the
Ti4200 benchmark.

System Configuration
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
DirectX Version 9.0

Mobo Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Mobo Model A7V266-E
AGP Rates (Current/Available) 4x / 1x 2x 4x

CPU Unknown 2017 MHz
FSB 133 MHz
Memory 512 MB

Graphics Chipset NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
Driver Name NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X
Driver Version 6.14.10.4523
Video Memory 64 MB

Program Version 3DMark2001 SE
Resolution 1024x768 32bit
Texture Format Compressed
FSAA Disabled
Z-Buffer Depth 24bit
Frame Buffer Double
Rendering Pipeline D3D Pure Hardware T&L

Detailed Test Results
3DMark Score 8013 3D marks

Game 1 Car Chase - Low Detail 109.3 FPS
Game 1 Car Chase - High Detail 37.6 FPS
Game 2 Dragothic - Low Detail 155.7 FPS
Game 2 Dragothic - High Detail 88.7 FPS
Game 3 Lobby - Low Detail 99.3 FPS
Game 3 Lobby - High Detail 44.1 FPS
Game 4 Nature 48.1 FPS

Fill Rate (Single-Texturing) 887.9 MTexels/s
Fill Rate (Multi-Texturing) 1931.8 MTexels/s

High Polygon Count (1 light) 43.2 MTriangels/s
High Polygon Count (8 lights) 10.4 MTriangels/s

Environment Bump Mapping 122.0 FPS
DOT3 Bump Mapping 122.1 FPS

Vertex Shader 82.3 FPS
Pixel Shader 101.9 FPS
Advanced Pixel Shader 72.3 FPS

Point Sprite 26.0 MSprites/s
Old September 19th 03, 07:32 PM
Romano Cule

"Romano Cule" wrote in message

"Dejanews" wrote in message:

Hi,
I've tried both the GeForce4 MX440 64MB and GeForce Ti4200 64MB on my
computer that has an Athlon XP 2400+ (266MHz bus) CPU but I get much
lower scores in 3DMark than people with similar configurations.

Yes,thats really low score.
I with AMD Barton 2800+
MSI KT3V
512 DDR
GW GF 4 4200 have 13.000

Forget to say OS is win 98se and det.44.03
With GeForce Ti 500 have aprox 10.000

Old September 19th 03, 08:30 PM
chrisrobin

Well i am getting about 8800 with a 2400+kg7+512mb+4200 64mb 8x(in 4xmode).
I have been wondering too why its a little low. thou my abit video card came
underclocked in memory the stock was 250gpu/250(500)mhz memory. Am still
using the 31.40 drivers. I can get close to 10000 if i overclock the cpu to
2200mhz and the video card memory 550. but that is not really the point. I
suspect the via 4 in drivers, but i tired of installing updated drivers from
nvidia and all the dam 4 in 1 drivers. my board is dated now and believe any
drivers are mainly for new boards. but i have not experience any lags in
unreal II (single player game) and jedi knight and moha, battlerfield
1942(thou that game has some jitters of its own) .
om...

Old September 19th 03, 10:12 PM
Athura

checked ya dont have FSAA or ansio filtering on in the drtiver settings?

Old September 20th 03, 12:24 AM
D I

I think i understand what the problem may be now.
I did a benchmark on my CPU using SiSoft Sandra, and the numbers are
comparable to something like an Athlon XP 1700+!! Something is wrong.
At bootup it says I have a 2400+.. but the performance isn't there! :-(

Old September 20th 03, 02:54 AM
D I

Found out that when I upgraded to my 2400+, that I had used jumper-free
mode to automatically set the sysclock and cpu_ratio settings.
Apparently those settings are bogus cos SiSoft Sandra's CPU benchmark
doesn't match mine up with a reference 2400+ CPU. Well, I went to
jumpered mode just now and manually set the jumpers. In SiSoft, it
showed the correct results this time!! But in 3DMark, it still said
8344 :-(

Old September 20th 03, 04:36 AM
Too_Much_Coffee ®

I have a Ti4200. If I run my 2500+ Barton at 2GHz with no OC and the 45.23
drivers, I get 11,662 in 3DMark2001. If I use the 44.03 drivers I get
12,248.

Changing to the 43.45s or the 44.03s might give you a higher score but I
would guess you have non-default settings in Display Properties.

If that's not it then uninstall your drivers and clean out System32 and the
registry of everything related to nVidia, then reinstall the drivers.

Get the AquaMark benchmark and see how you scores compare there.
www.aquamark3.com

With the Ti4200 OC'd, I get around 22,100 with the CPU at 2GHz.

Part of the problem with 3DMark2001 is, you don't know the overclocking
numbers. The AquaMark3 benchmark shows the overclocking.

Too_Much_Coffee ®

---
Got GigaNews?
http://www.giganews.com/customer/gn26215

Old September 20th 03, 09:21 AM
D I

I finally realized the problem is that my PC is getting too hot.
Removing the cover seems to make the CPU go to normal speed. With this
finally determined, I decided to go with the following tests:

45.23 drivers:
Scores:
8344 (250,513 - default settings)
10292 (282,563)
10429 (285, 597)

44.03 drivers:
10968 (285, 601)

I've determined the 44.03 drivers to be much better, so i'll go with
those. Still don't know why it goes so slow at normal sped. In the
meantime, i'll try out Aquamark.

Old September 20th 03, 03:46 PM
Daniel Yates

"D I" wrote in message
I finally realized the problem is that my PC is getting too hot.
Removing the cover seems to make the CPU go to normal speed. With this
finally determined, I decided to go with the following tests:

Go into your BIOS and try to find the setting CPU Thrm Throttling. The
percentage in there is how much CPU will be shut down when it gets a little
warm. I have foten found the throttling kicks in too early ( around 40
degree in some cases ) so the best thing to do I found was to knowck the
throttling down to 25% or 12.5% if you are feeling lucky - that way when it
gets warm it wont throttle the processor too much.

Hope this helps

Daniel

P.S - Get yourself a PCI Slot Fan as well - those babys are filthy cheap (
around £5 ) and suck a whole tonne of heat out of your box, and it sits
right under your GFX card so that the card is not adding the system temp too
much

Old September 20th 03, 10:31 PM
Too_Much_Coffee ®

Get the freeware program Motherboard Monitor 5 and set it up so you have an
icon in the system tray that tells you the CPU temp. You can get it he
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

It monitors CPU and system temperature, voltages and fan speeds. It can also
be used to shut your computer down if it gets above a set temperature. Some
mobos have that ability and some don't. My temps are 46 CPU, 33 System with
a room temp of 25C.

TMC