GF2Ti upgrade to FX5200

Old September 6th 03, 09:03 PM

Default GF2Ti upgrade to FX5200

I currently have an Athlon XP2400+, 384MB, GF2Ti 64MB (like a
GF2 GTS). Would an upgrade to a FX5200 be worth it? Would I get at
least 2x the performance? I heard there are 2 versions of the 5200,
one with 64bit DDR and 128-Bit DDR. Is the MSI FX5200-TD128 128bit?

Old September 6th 03, 09:38 PM

I don't think you'll get 2 times the performance but if I were you I'd boost
your RAM a bit before going after another video card. If you have Windows XP
then 512 megs would help. You also did not mention what type of budget you
have.

The TD128 card from MSI is 128 bit. The technical breakdown is located he

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...il.php?UID=444

If your budget can afford it then the FX 5200 Ultra is also a good card.

regards

Old September 6th 03, 10:41 PM

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 22:38:59 +0200, "B"
wrote:

I don't think you'll get 2 times the performance but if I were you I'd boost
your RAM a bit before going after another video card. If you have Windows XP
then 512 megs would help. You also did not mention what type of budget you
have.

The TD128 card from MSI is 128 bit. The technical breakdown is located he

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...il.php?UID=444

If your budget can afford it then the FX 5200 Ultra is also a good card.

Basically under $100. Around $70. The 5200 is something I can
afford.
Old September 6th 03, 10:44 PM

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 14:39:47 -0700, mike
wrote:

If your budget will not allow more video card than the 5200 I wouldn't
bother. It would be a minor upgrade, not 2x. You'd be better served in
that price range by an ATI 8500 or a GeForce4 Ti4200.

ATI cards are so confusing. there are so many.... 8500LE, 8500,
9000, 9100, etc. I don't know which one is faster other than the top
of the line stuff like the 9800/9700.

Basically the game I play most is F1 Challenge 99-02, which is a DX8.1
game. Racing sims are my linking. Not really into FPS.
Old September 6th 03, 11:20 PM

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 14:58:41 -0700, mike
wrote:

If you go ATI then the 8500 and 8500LE will both do nicely, both are
more powerful than the card you have and the 5200. If you prefer
Nvidia then the Ti4200 is the only real choice anywhere close to your
price range. I had an 8500LE that I overclocked up and it was very
nice, close to 4200 speeds in most cases at a lower cost. Not that
great at FPS games but excellent in most everything else.

What about the 9000/9100/9200? My local store doesn't carry any of
the 8500's anymore except the 8500 AIW which is quite expensive..

I thought the 8500 was something like the GF3 Ti's. They could still
compete with the GF4 4x00?
Old September 7th 03, 04:57 AM
Larry Roberts

If you get a the 128bit version of the FX5200, you get the
same performance upgrade as if you moved to a GF3 Ti200. Not a bad
upgrade, but not twice the speed. I never owed the GF2
GTS/Ti/Pro/Ultra models. I only had a GF2 MX400. I then moved upto a
GF3 Ti200, and speed increase was alot better. I've seen the FX5200
128MB with a true 128bit memory bus in action, and it runs as good as
my GF3 Ti200. The FX5200 gives you DX9 hardware shaders, but I doubt
it would be fast enough to take real advantage of those features.