Asus 9280(128MB) low 3D performance with 3DMark2001 and Unreal Tournament

Old July 25th 03, 03:15 PM
Hugo Sondermeijer

Default Asus 9280(128MB) low 3D performance with 3DMark2001 and Unreal Tournament

Just upgraded from Radeon 64 DDR ViVo (7200) to Asus 9280 Geforce 4 Ti
4200 128 MB, expecting a major improvement in my system's performance.
Unfortunately Unreal Tournament was actually MORE choppy than with the
original Radeon and 3DMark2001 score was around 5300. After checking
several posts in the newsgroup I found that this card should score
around 9000-11000 3DMarks. Never tested the Radeon's 3DMark score but
anyways the gameplay was much more fluent with Unreal Tournament
compared to the Geforce. Setting the minimum framerate in UT to 60
doesn't improve fluency with the Geforce. Graphics quality wise, I
even don't see a lot of improvement compared to the Radeon.

I upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP but no increase in performance, now
back to 2000 again, using a clean install and upgraded to SP4, but
still choppy . First used 44.03 reference drivers, now back to 43.45
after having read that 44.03 was buggy.

My system specs: Asus P4T, P4 1500, 384 MB RAM, Adaptec 29160, 2x
Maxtor Atlas V, 1x Maxtor Atlas 10kII, Yamaha SCSI CDRW, Toshiba SCSI
DVD, Ricoh 5125A DVD+R, Studio DV Firewire, Realtek 10/100 ethernet.

Questions:
- Is the CPU slowing down the Geforce's performance, since Unreal
Tournament is said to use lots of CPU power? How should I check this?
- Are there any additional programs/drivers that could increase my
system's performance?
- Can I do a timedemo test with UT and what is the command for this?

Any other suggestions are more than welcome.
Old July 25th 03, 05:09 PM
Mario Kadastik

Hello,

Questions:
- Is the CPU slowing down the Geforce's performance, since Unreal
Tournament is said to use lots of CPU power? How should I check this?

I'm not an expert, but I'd recommend you to run 3dmark03 and check your
results with others who have similiar configurations and compare the
cpumark score. I have seen a variance of ca 20-30 marks on similiar
CPU-s so if this is OK, then I doubt it's the CPU that is taking down
your testscores and UT performance. Also I have read that 3dmark03
doesn't depend that much on CPU and other hardware as did 3dmark01 so it
might give you a better comparison.

- Are there any additional programs/drivers that could increase my
system's performance?

Just in case you might try asus drivers 44.71 for example as they might
help. Although I doubt that it should help that much.

Mario

Old July 26th 03, 05:36 AM
Dave

You have to have something configured wrong. I also have a ti4200 128mb
(MSI) and I get over 10,000 in 3dmark2001. I have an AMD 1700+ cpu on an
Epox Nforce2 motherboard and 256mb of ram.

To run the UT2k3 bench program, just run benchmark.exe. It's in the
UT2003\system folder. The ti4200 should get about three times the framerate
of the Radeon in UT2k3. Check this link for comparison:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...charts-04.html

Dave

om...

Old July 27th 03, 04:46 PM
Hugo Sondermeijer

Just out of curiousity: do you have the possibility to downclock your
CPU to 1.5 Ghz (15x100) and then check the 3DMark score? I would be
very interested to see the result.

Furthermore, using Intervideo WinDVD Platinum Edition I get a brief
black screen when I start the app. Haven't played DVD's yet, but MPGs
seem to run fine so far.

With UT, speed does not change when switching to different
resolutions, hence this might mean my CPU is the bottleneck. How do I
do a timedemo in UT (not UT2003)?