Overclocking my ATI 9800P Does Not Improve My 3dmark2001SE Score

Old June 22nd 04, 11:01 AM
JB

Default Overclocking my ATI 9800P Does Not Improve My 3dmark2001SE Score

I've use three different tweakers and set the clock about 5% above stock.
The system runs without problems but the benchmark is basically the same as
for stock speeds.

Is there something additional that has to be done on this model card?

Old June 22nd 04, 11:32 AM
§

JB wrote:
I've use three different tweakers and set the clock about 5% above
stock. The system runs without problems but the benchmark is
basically the same as for stock speeds.

Is there something additional that has to be done on this model card?

Try overclocking core and memory higher.

Old June 22nd 04, 11:37 AM
McGrandpa

In the drivers (assuming you're using catalyst set) in the D3D part of
3D tab, set the slider to Performance, same for OGL I guess. I picked
up almost 1000 points just setting the FSAA AS to OFF.

Old June 22nd 04, 02:02 PM
Sham B

Stock clocks for a 9800 pro (well, mine anyway) are 378 for the core, 337.5 for the memory, and I
overclock to 435, 380 (although the card can go significantly higher - 450, 380 seems to be the
standard for the 9800 pro with good cooling fitted (either very good airflow or an arctic cooler,
and preferably both)).

So, you can go much higher. I would say up to 10% with a stock cooler, or 15% with a third party
cooler.

Also, best results are to be gained if you also overclock the rest of the system (CPU and memory) as
well... better to overclock everything by a modest amount than it is to overclock only one
component.

Finally, are you sure that the overclock figures are actually going in? Some cards tend to
occasionally reset themselves back to default for no apparent reason. Try changing the clocks,
running the test, then looking at the clocks to make sure they stayed as you set them... I
occasionally find that they have been reset, and this is more common for some cards that others
(seems to be down to the individual cards rather than a make or model).

HTH

Old June 23rd 04, 03:33 AM
JB

"§" §@§.§ wrote in message
JB wrote:
I've use three different tweakers and set the clock about 5% above
stock. The system runs without problems but the benchmark is
basically the same as for stock speeds.

Is there something additional that has to be done on this model card?

Try overclocking core and memory higher.

I have...same result.

Old June 23rd 04, 03:35 AM
JB

I'm not trying to optimize the benchmark at this point. I am trying to
verify that the card is being overclocked because the benchmark does not
reflect it.

Old June 23rd 04, 03:45 AM
JB

"Sham B" wrote in message
.net...
Stock clocks for a 9800 pro (well, mine anyway) are 378 for the core,

337.5 for the memory, and I
overclock to 435, 380 (although the card can go significantly higher -

450, 380 seems to be the
standard for the 9800 pro with good cooling fitted (either very good

airflow or an arctic cooler,
and preferably both)).

I'll try those settings ...I may be working in a dead zone of sorts.

Also, best results are to be gained if you also overclock the rest of the

system (CPU and memory) as
well... better to overclock everything by a modest amount than it is to

overclock only one
component.

The cpu is normally overclocked 53%. I slowed it down for a check in case I
was getting errors from the PCI or AGP buses. Same result.

Finally, are you sure that the overclock figures are actually going in?

No. That's why I posted my question. Just because the tweaker indicates an
overclock setting before and after the test does not mean it actually
happened. I presume a registry key would show this.

It just ocurred to me that Aida32 might measure this and indeed it does.

I'll retest at higher clocks now. Thank you for your input.

Old June 23rd 04, 05:01 AM
McGrandpa

You can use Everest or Sandra to check the core and mem clock freqs on
the video card. I think Everest (used to be Aida32) is easier to use
and find what you need to see. This will tell you right off what your
card is running.
McG.