radeon 9200 can capture video from VCR?

Old February 28th 04, 04:54 PM
pengyou

Default radeon 9200 can capture video from VCR?

Hi All,

Recently for the first time I hooked up the Digital Video Camera
into the radeon 9200 s-video plugin port, hoping to use real-time
video recorder like Winvdr to encode the VCR into mpeg format. After
installing the Winvdr, it gave the error message " No any video
capture card[s] found, please check your hardware and driver".

My graphic card is Radeon 9200 series, 128MB DDR AGP 8X. There is a
s-video 7-pin at the rear of the graphic card.

At first I thought may be the graphic card driver problem, then I
uninstalled the radeon 9200 driver, and reinstalled again, this time
at the stage where almost finished installing, it gave error message"
zero display service error". I ignored it and let it run till finish,
restarted the computer and everything seemed fine. And again I started
the winvdr and the same error message " no any video capture cards
found".......

I do a search on the radeon 9200 series vga card on internet, and
found:
radeon 9200 series
http://www.hightech.com.hk/html/9200.htm

radeon 9200 series [vivo]
http://www.hightech.com.hk/html/9200vivo.htm

Apparently the one I bought was radeon 9200 series NOT the vivo type,
could anyone possibility give me a CONFIRM answer that radeon 9200
series [not the vivo type] cannot capture video through hooking with
VCR [s-video plugin]?

I am new to computer hardware , so I don't know all about this with
vivo or without .......

The computer specification is:

windows xp service pack 1
mobo=asus P4P800
radeon 9200 128 DDR agp 8x
512 mb ddr memory
80 gb WD hardisk
Pentium 2.4c HT CPU

so how could I use the real time recording feature from winvdr to
record video from VCR/digital video camera?

Any response will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Yours sincerely,

PengYou
[please pardon my lousy english]
Old February 29th 04, 02:10 AM
patrickp

Yes, PengYou, you're quite correct, you need a card that's specifically a
VIVO or an AIW to capture. If your card isn't either of those, then it's no
go.

Personally, I'm a bit ticked off about VIVO's - I prefer them to AIWs, and
less and less ATI cards seem to be being made as VIVO versions. Very few
built by ATI cards come as VIVO versions now, and many of the OEM ones won't
run ATI's MMC software. I just bought an ASUS 128MB 9600XT, which is
supposed to have VIVO capabilities, and that won't run MMC. Furthermore,
the software provided by ASUS seems pretty naff, particularly the TV/VCR
app. Not impressed. Sapphire make several VIVO versions, and AFAIK those
should work with ATI software, but they're impossible to get, in the UK, at
least. :-(

patrickp

om...