ATI 9600 Pro V's Geforce FX5600 (non ultra)

Old September 23rd 03, 10:35 AM
Trevor Marsh

Default ATI 9600 Pro V's Geforce FX5600 (non ultra)

I used to (up to 3 days ago) run a Geforce FX5600 Non Ultra and to be
honest was very disappointed with it's performance. In most games it was no
faster, and sometimes slower, than my old Geforce TI4200 (o/c to TI4600
speeds), but in one game in particular it really struggled; Planetside!
With the FX card I had to run in medium detail, Flora disabled and world
mesh disabled to get a decent average frame rate (around 35 to 45 FPS).

I have friends that own a PC business and they let me "try before I buy"
so I ordered a Radeon 9600 Pro and installed it. What actually came was a
Power Color Radeon 9600 Pro EZ (I didn't realise the significance of the
"EZ" until after installing it. It is being exchanged for a "Full" 9600
Pro) and was amazed at the difference in Planetside alone. Now I can run it
with all graphic details set at maximum and still get a better average FPS,
around 70 to 80 FPS, than I ever did with the Geforce FX5600.

Sorry for the pre-amble but there is a question buried in here. Prior
to ordering the 9600 Pro (I'd love a 9800 Pro but don't have the budget) I
spent several days reading reviews and comparisons on the web and in
magazines between different graphic cards and the more you read, the more
confusing it gets. All sites, and magazines, rate the 9600 Pro as a better
performer than the FX5600 (no arguments on this), but when it comes to the
9600 Pro V's the FX5600 Ultra it's a different matter. Some reviews, and
supporting benchmarks, go with the FX5600 Ultra, while others favour the
9600 Pro; Sometimes using the same benchmarks as each other but getting
wildly different results.

Now. at last, the questions; I have to make my mind up whether go with
the 9600 pro (the "full" one, not the EZ) or a FX5600 Ultra. My experience
with the FX5600 non-ultra has made me wary of Nvidia latest chipsets and
after seeing the difference in Planetside with just the "EZ" version of the
9600 Pro I am leaning towards the 9600 Pro. However, with Doom III and HL2
in mind, am I being short-sighted? I realise this is an ATI NG, but that is
where the experienced ATI users will be, so, FX5600 Ultra or 9600 Pro?
Please, advice as impartial as possible.

TIA,

Trev

Old September 23rd 03, 11:34 AM
Thomas Andersson

Now. at last, the questions; I have to make my mind up whether
go with the 9600 pro (the "full" one, not the EZ) or a FX5600 Ultra.
My experience with the FX5600 non-ultra has made me wary of Nvidia
latest chipsets and after seeing the difference in Planetside with
just the "EZ" version of the 9600 Pro I am leaning towards the 9600
Pro. However, with Doom III and HL2 in mind, am I being
short-sighted? I realise this is an ATI NG, but that is where the
experienced ATI users will be, so, FX5600 Ultra or 9600 Pro? Please,
advice as impartial as possible.

Think the 9600 Pro and 5600 Ultra (rev2) is about par on older games witha
slight edge to 5600 Ultra (Higher memory bandwidth), but when it comes to
newer games (especially as you mentioned coming DX9 games) it seems that the
Radeon cards leave the Nvidia ones in the dust.. So I'd say, go for the full
9600 Pro (Something like Sapphire or PowerColor).

Best Wishes
Thomas

Old September 23rd 03, 11:50 AM
Alan Shepherd

Just goes to show that the GF4?00 cards are still there with the crowd,
until games "need" DX9 hardware, the gf4 Ti's are viable, IMO It's not worth
upgrading from a GF4 Ti to anything other than GF5900 or Radeon 9800 .

Old September 24th 03, 09:32 AM
Trevor Marsh

"Thomas Andersson" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the replies. I'll think I'll go with my "gut feeling" and
Thomas's advice and get the full 9600 Pro. After further reading it would
appear that even the FX Ultra's struggle with DX9 games unless a special
"path" is written in the game to help them. Looks like Nvidia really
"dropped the ball" with the FX chips.

Trev