Is this Athlon compatible with my ASUS A7V266 MOBO ?

Old February 24th 05, 02:12 AM
Bill Schaible

Default Is this Athlon compatible with my ASUS A7V266 MOBO ?

A guy on eBay has 1.7 GHz Athlons for sale but it sounds like they might be
a little more advanced than my ASUS A7V 266 MOBO. My MOBO manual says:

the board uses 1.7 GHz (max) Athlon.
Front side bus is 133/100 MHz,
Memory bus is 266/200 MHz.
Northbridge is VIA VT8366,
South bridge is VIA VT8233.

The eBay description of the Athlon is:

AMD Athlon XP 1900+ 1.7 GHz 285535-001
front side bus 266 MHz
AX1900DMT3C
AGOGA0204TPHW
Y7641530041

My manual can't talk about Athlon XP because Athlon XP didn't exist at the
time. Will an XP be compatible with my older style board?

Thanks. Bill S.

Old February 24th 05, 03:05 AM
Paul

In article , "Bill Schaible"
wrote:

A guy on eBay has 1.7 GHz Athlons for sale but it sounds like they might be
a little more advanced than my ASUS A7V 266 MOBO. My MOBO manual says:

the board uses 1.7 GHz (max) Athlon.
Front side bus is 133/100 MHz,
Memory bus is 266/200 MHz.
Northbridge is VIA VT8366,
South bridge is VIA VT8233.

The eBay description of the Athlon is:

AMD Athlon XP 1900+ 1.7 GHz 285535-001
front side bus 266 MHz
AX1900DMT3C
AGOGA0204TPHW
Y7641530041

My manual can't talk about Athlon XP because Athlon XP didn't exist at the
time. Will an XP be compatible with my older style board?

Thanks. Bill S.

This page is where you look it up.
You will need to examine the motherboard, and look at the
revision number printed next to the motherboard name. Note
that this list shows "1.05." and the trailing dot is important.
There are both "1.05" and "1.05." boards, and the latter of
the two has way more options.
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusu...pusupport.aspx

This site and its forums:
http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/

contains plenty of info about the A7V*** family of boards.
Including the use of processors not in the Asus list. The
forums have a search engine, and to use it, you have to
change the days from 7 to a larger number like 1000 days.

HTH,
Paul
Old February 24th 05, 05:54 AM
Bill Schaible

Ok. The rev# on my board is 1.06 which must be higher than 1.05. and lower
than 1.07 (I notice 1.06 doesn't appear anywhere in the chart). My BIOS is
1002B. I'm not sure what the rule is for the BIOS number I can upgrade to.
Can I upgrade to any BIOS that appears (in the table) to the right of a
revision number which is less than 1.06 ? That would mean I can use BIOS
1002C and 1010 and Palomino (model 6) or Tbred (model 8) but not Thornton
(model 10). Models 6 and 8 have speed numbers from 1500+ to 2200+
associated with them. If my assumption is correct then I can use any of
these, but I need to make sure the CPU I get is not Thornton type. I notice
that Thornton types also have speed numbers in the same range. One problem
is that CPUs being sold don't always have the core type specified for them.
But I assume the long alphanumeric strings written on the chip probably
identify the core type if I know the key to deciphering them.

Am I correct assuming I can upgrade to any BIOS listed for rev# 1.05dot
(that is, BIOS 1002C or 1010) ? Am I correct that my board will work with
either the model 6 or model 8 ? Does anybody know how to identify the CPU
core type Palomino, Tbred and Thornton ?

Sorry for all the questions. But I'd hate to buy the wrong chip, also hate
to mess up my MOBO with the wrong BIOS, though it would be a good excuse to
just buy something new and quit screwing around with this old stuff.

TIA. Bill S.

Old February 24th 05, 07:03 AM
Bill Schaible

I also looked at the forum site. It's really good.

Thanks again.

Old February 24th 05, 07:23 AM
Paul

In article , "Bill Schaible"
wrote:

[...]

Yes, you can look up the OPN (part number). I just dug these up
in Google, as I'm not really into "OPN numerology".

http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html
http://www.overclockers.com/articles682/index02.asp

I would say, if you are upgrading the BIOS, might as well
go with a recent one. It looks like Model 6 or Model 8
are a sure thing with your 1.06 PCB. I would think Barton
(Model 10) would also likely work, but the reason you
won't see it listed, is the FSB would not be a good match.
Running a locked FSB400 processor at FSB266 would be a waste.

You could go with a AthlonXP-M mobile processor - they
are officially FSB266, and the multiplier is unlocked. But
you would likely need the "wire trick" for FID4, to be able
to use the high multipliers, and that is too much fiddling
for most people. (When run at FSB400 on a newer board,
the low multipliers are enough to get to 2200MHz. i.e.
200x11. To get 2200MHz via FSB266 means using a multiplier
higher than 12.5, and those are the "high multipliers".)

I would say you can use just about anything with a reasonable
FSB. Only the Thorton is ruled out here.

CPU Since PCB Since BIOS
Athlon XP 1500+(Model 6)(Palomino) 1.05. 1002C *
Athlon XP 1600+(Model 6)(Palomino) 1.05. 1002C *
Athlon XP 1700+(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) 1.05. 1010 *
Athlon XP 1700+(Model 6)(Palomino) 1.05. 1002C *
Athlon XP 1800+(Model 6)(Palomino) 1.05. 1002C *
Athlon XP 1800+(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) 1.05. 1010 *
Athlon XP 1900+(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) 1.05. 1010 *
Athlon XP 1900+(Model 6)(Palomino) 1.05. 1002C *
Athlon XP 2000+(Model 6)(Palomino) 1.05. 1002C *
Athlon XP 2000+(Model 10)(Thorton) 1.07 1015.001 *
Athlon XP 2000+(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) 1.05. 1010 *
Athlon XP 2100+(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) 1.05. 1010 *
Athlon XP 2100+(Model 6)(Palomino) 1.05. 1002C *
Athlon XP 2200+(Model 10)(Thorton) 1.07 1015.001 *
Athlon XP 2200+(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) 1.05. 1010 *
Athlon XP 2400+(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) 1.07 1011 *
Athlon XP 2400+(Model 10)(Thorton) 1.07 1015.001 *
Athlon XP 2600+(266FSB)(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) 1.07 1011
.... *
Duron 1300 (Model 7)(Morgan) 1.05. 1002C *
Duron 1800 (Model 8)(Applebred) 1.05. 1015.002

I put a table in Google a while back, and you can see which models
are FSB266 here. This list doesn't include mobile Bartons.

http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=...0192.168.1.177

If you want to play with mobiles, Newegg lists specs:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...InnerManu=1028

If playing with Mobiles, I recommend doing research on
forums.a7vtroubleshooting.com first. Here is a sample thread
about someone running a Mobile on a A7V266-E. You will need
a "high multiplier" to get the most of the processor when
at FSB266.

http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/fo...2970;st art=1

Have fun,
Paul (A7N8X-E 2600+ XP-M 200x11 == 3200+ No wire mod needed)