Newest Asus Video Driver v56.55 Doesn't Allow 85 Hz Refresh Rate

Old December 5th 04, 09:01 PM
Anonymous

Default Newest Asus Video Driver v56.55 Doesn't Allow 85 Hz Refresh Rate

Hello,
I upgraded to Windows 98SE and installed the latest Asus v56.55 video
drivers for my Asus GF2 card. In Win98FE(1) and the older Asus drivers, I
was able to use a 85 Hz refresh rate. With these newer v56.55 drivers,
they won't let me use a 85 Hz refresh rate. I have tried creating a
"custom" setting but it keeps saying "The custom resolution cannot be
added." What do I need to do to be able to use a 85 Hz refresh rate the
way I have before (and why are Asus's video drivers so lousy now)?

Please Help.

Old December 5th 04, 10:21 PM
KC Computers

I upgraded to Windows 98SE and installed the latest Asus v56.55 video
drivers for my Asus GF2 card. In Win98FE(1) and the older Asus drivers, I
was able to use a 85 Hz refresh rate. With these newer v56.55 drivers,
they won't let me use a 85 Hz refresh rate. I have tried creating a
"custom" setting but it keeps saying "The custom resolution cannot be
added." What do I need to do to be able to use a 85 Hz refresh rate the
way I have before (and why are Asus's video drivers so lousy now)?

Did you try downloading the latest driver directly from the
graphics chip manufacturer (www.nvidia.com)? That
may solve the problem.

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner KC COMPUTERS
E-mail: Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer for 13+ years!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

Old December 5th 04, 10:30 PM
Anonymous

YanquiDawg,
I tried HZTool but it didn't work. Why do Asus Drivers suck so hard now?
I can't even believe I'm having this problem. I have been using my monitor
for years @ 85 Hz and now it only goes to 75 Hz.

YanquiDawg wrote:
Try hztool. Do a google search. Also,make sure you have the correct .inf driver
for your monitor.

Old December 5th 04, 10:35 PM
Anonymous

Kevin,
thanks for your suggestion. However I cannot use the native nVidia drivers
because I would lose my ViVo TV functions.

Why do Asus Drivers suck so hard? I can't even believe I'm having this
problem. I have been using my monitor for years @ 85 Hz and now it only
goes to 75 Hz. If I can't get a resolution to this problem, I'll have to
downgrade these sh!#y drivers until they work right. Damn Asus and their
IMO sh!#y driver programmers.

Old December 5th 04, 11:13 PM
Bob Knowlden

Does 98se recognize your monitor correctly?

You may need to install the correct monitor "drivers". (Quotes used because
the "drivers" are usually just an .inf file.)

Just a guess.

Bob Knowlden

Old December 6th 04, 12:02 AM
Anonymous

I have the correct INF file. The problem is the Asus 56.55 driver will not
allow me to override the refresh rate. Some IMO idiot driver programmer at
either Asus or nVidia removed this feature from the older 6.31c 98 drivers.
Now I'm forced to look at the screen in 75 Hz.

The 56.55 driver seems to not allow higher refresh rates to the point of
enforcing them. I surmise this because I tried using both HZTool and
RefreshLock utilities to obtain the higher 85 Hz rate. ReFreshLock has a
feature which "forces" a higher refresh rate and you can set the number of
times it will attempt this. Even if set at 30 times, and I don't recommend
you do this to your monitor, every time it changed, the IMO sh!#y Asus
drivers reduced it back to 75 Hz.

Since I have been researching this on the 'Net, it appears that this has
been an ongoing problem with nVidia/Asus drivers for years. nVidia/Asus
seems to have never bothered to correct it. Someone should force both
nVidia and Asus driver programmers to look at screens set at 60 Hz for a
few months. This way they'll learn not to forget a refresh rate override
feature. I can't even believe I'm spending so much time trying to fix this
problem. IMO, Asus or nVidia seem to believe they can IMO cut corners in
their driver programming and allow users (me) to waste their time trying to
figure out fixes to their IMO bugs.

Old December 6th 04, 03:11 AM
Bob Knowlden

Sorry to hear it.

As I have used only cards without video in, I've stuck with the nVidia
reference drivers. I haven't had any trouble getting the refresh rates my
monitor supports. (Currently running a custom 1368X1026 at 85 Hz on a Sony
CRT.)

"Anonymous" wrote in message
I have the correct INF file. The problem is the Asus 56.55 driver will not
allow me to override the refresh rate. Some IMO idiot driver programmer at
either Asus or nVidia removed this feature from the older 6.31c 98 drivers.
Now I'm forced to look at the screen in 75 Hz.

(snip)

Old December 6th 04, 04:25 AM
P2B

Anonymous wrote:

I have the correct INF file.

OK, but is the INF file correct? It may well be that "Some IMO idiot
driver programmer" is now enforcing the modes listed in the INF file. It
wouldn't be the first time a monitor INF file had an incomplete list of
modes supported by the hardware...

Old December 6th 04, 11:16 AM
John Smithe

Anonymous wrote in
:

Hello,
I upgraded to Windows 98SE and installed the latest Asus v56.55 video
drivers for my Asus GF2 card. In Win98FE(1) and the older Asus
drivers, I was able to use a 85 Hz refresh rate. With these newer
v56.55 drivers, they won't let me use a 85 Hz refresh rate. I have
tried creating a "custom" setting but it keeps saying "The custom
resolution cannot be added." What do I need to do to be able to use a
85 Hz refresh rate the way I have before (and why are Asus's video
drivers so lousy now)?

Please Help.

Try asking he

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/inde...214d207fd484bf
6&

Old December 9th 04, 09:18 PM
Jbob

Just a thought but can you edit the .inf file and make it work?