DOOM3 on P4P800E deluxe 9800Pro ???

Old August 7th 04, 05:33 AM
Art Simpson

Default DOOM3 on P4P800E deluxe 9800Pro ???

Hello,

I finally got that anticipated game; Installed and upon starting a new game,
DOOM/ loads then bombs to the windows screen ?

I'm wondering if others can run this game well under Windows 2000 ?
It's weird, and I kinda suspect this might be a problem with the onboard audio
of my P4P800E deluxe.

I'm installed with an ATI radeon9800Pro.. I've installed the original Catalyst on CD,
and allowed DOOM3 to install DirectX9b..
Strange that everything else seem to run fine; UT2003 and all my 3D games
and ATI demos.

I'm pulling my hairs and crying now. :*(
The only hope I see is downloading the latest humongus ATI Catalyst drivers and see.

Anyone got Doom3 + Radeon9800Pro running ? Better if it's on win2k.
Please let me know or advice welcome.
Regards.

Old August 7th 04, 07:33 AM
Art Simpson

Follow-up..
I tried disabling the onboard LAN, just in case; since it's not configured yet..
No change..
Of course I tried reinstalling Doom3 many times to no success.

Then I've been searching around for similar problems. One person I saw complained
of the exact same bug.. GAme loads, then not even enter and bombs to windows desktop.

SOLUTION:
http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4547.html

I've downloaded a more recent Catalyst; Why not the latest special version 4.9:

Anyone looking for more Doom3 tips/help go there for a start.
http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=27

TIP: to run the framerate test, demo; Open a console (CTRL-ALT- #) then type:
timedemo demo1

Here, on my system; I get:
1024x768 HighQuality, Advanced options all enabled except Vsynch and AA;
35.4fps !!! ?
Interesting note;.. It's barely slower than 800x600.. So I recommend 1024x768.

Personally I'm not impressed with the framerate at all.. I should complain to ATI of course,
but at least it's running fine now. I know I'm gonna improve this number with some finetuning
later, but damnit.. It's a P4 3Ghz with a Radeon9800 1GB RAM... This game is almost as
demanding as Micro$oft Combat Flight sim 3.

I hope this will at least help others having doubts about this game and their new motherboard.
Regards, and I'm off TO MARS now..

Kick some Alien mutants A$$.
Muwahahaha..

Old August 8th 04, 01:11 AM
bIOforger

In article , says...

[...]

Interesting. I had some crashes and bails to desktop to. I tweaked my
RAM timings in the bios, and then it ran fine. I get 35-60fps, but
mostly 60fps all the time I use the same games gfx settings as you
are.

My box is amd64 3400+ Raddy 9800XT, 1gig Ram, XP Pro SP1.

I might try those tweaked beta 4.9 drivers, as that might help me get
closer to 100fps like I do in Farcry

I have to say Im not totally impressed by Doom3. Yeh sure the lighting
effects, and face textures/expressions are amazing. But the gfx arent as
good as I was expecting. And why is it so god dam dark all the time lol,
I hate the flashlight and y cant u keep it on whilst using a
weapon?!? I hope Unreal 2 is better than this.

--
~Regards~
bIO
Old August 8th 04, 09:46 PM
Art Simpson

bIOforger wrote in message ...
In article , says...

SOLUTION:
http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4547.html

I've downloaded a more recent Catalyst; Why not the latest special version 4.9:

(SNIP)
[...]

Greets bIO !

To fix your darkness issue; Open a console and set:
r_gamma 1.3
Or 1.2... The higher, the brighter.. and it's not the same as 'Brightness'..
Try it...It's "sticky"; Doom3 will remember it for the next run.

Then, forget about your 100fps dreams; This game is a complete system sucker.
I've seen benches on a Barton+9800Pro and it's in the 45fps somth'n. (timedemo)
BTW; AMD64 is really a performer, congratz on your system.

While I could previously run stable overclocked at 3Ghz (FSB 881Mhz), with
Doom3 I can no longer. Catalyst 4.7 bombs to desktop, and latest 4.9 hotfix
give me an UNSTABLE puter overall. I had to return to normal FSB cuz 4.9
crashed even under casual windows usage...

So I'm back to 2.8Ghz and lost a whole 1fps for that Catalyst upgrade.
No thanks to Doom3... THE ONLY GAME THAT WOULD NOT RUN overclocked.
I could run UT2003 and UT2004 at superb rez like 1600x1280 and get blazing
framerate.. DOOM3 sucks in that area !..Not that the 'gameplay' is not excellent,
and overall framerate is plenty for a decent play at 1024x768; But it's still a sucker.
And visually I'm not impressed either.. I'm quite early in the game, but I don't see
anything, like it was advertised. I should complain in another forum,
but I had to let some steam out.

There is something in this game that made Catalyst 4.7 BOMB while FSB 881Mhz.
Been running all my games and apps overclocked fine; T'ill Doom3 arrived.

About Doom3 again; I see NO reason this game sucks so much fpswise.
Remember the original Half-Life !... THAT was something, and the framerate was
excellent... Are the Doom3 visuals so much better ?.. Maybe; But all this flim-flam
3D technology did not improve on the original idea. Doom3 so far barely look like
an half-life upgrade that went AFU.... hiding in corridors sure helps make a paranoid
ambiance, but when I look around I see nothing exceptionnal about textures and details.
The XBOX UnrealChampionship (eq PC UT2003) does much better with details even
on a lowly (P3-700Mhz) XBOX...Maybe it's just the first levels that are unimpressive.
Maybe this game will reveal something extraordinary later.... I sure hope it gets better
because fighting walking cadavers and Arch Evils down corridors is so 'LINEAR'.
Better be some good weapons later on.... The only really scary thing is when the lights
go down and 'skulls' go flying around.

Looking back; Way back to Doom1 and Doom2 PC on 486; I had more fun, because there
were TONS of these satanic evils around, and much more room to go around.

To others; I don't recommend this game; Unless you are really into 'Terror Sci-Fi'
and level editors... But it's really good at what it does.... "TERROR".

When I think of a friend of mine with a Ti4600 and a P4 2Ghz...
He's gonna cry with a slideshow at 9fps.
Regards,
Art.

Old August 9th 04, 12:52 AM
Hawkeye

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 16:46:50 -0400, "Art Simpson"
wrote:

Then, forget about your 100fps dreams; This game is a complete system sucker.
I've seen benches on a Barton+9800Pro and it's in the 45fps somth'n. (timedemo)
BTW; AMD64 is really a performer, congratz on your system.

I read somewhere 60fps is max youll see anyway
Old August 11th 04, 10:31 PM
bIOforger

In article , Hawkeye__59
@hotmail.com says...
wrote:

Then, forget about your 100fps dreams; This game is a complete system sucker.
I've seen benches on a Barton+9800Pro and it's in the 45fps somth'n. (timedemo)
BTW; AMD64 is really a performer, congratz on your system.

I read somewhere 60fps is max youll see anyway

Yeh youre right, another point which is disappointing about doom3, its
capped to 60fps!

The likes of tomb raider did this, how ghey is that?!?

--
~Regards~
bIO