xp legasy hardware question

Old September 14th 04, 12:57 AM
!Allen Lasting

Default xp legasy hardware question

Hi,

I"m gonna try and help a friend's son set up an old printer, scanner, and
zip drive from his win98 system on his new xp system.

It's a daisy chained arrangement via the parallel port.
If I find the drivers, will the daisy chaine work in xp like it does in
win98. it was the orginal win98, not se.

any alligators I should watch out for?

Thanks,

Allen

Old September 14th 04, 02:44 AM
David Maynard

!Allen Lasting wrote:

Hi,

I"m gonna try and help a friend's son set up an old printer, scanner, and
zip drive from his win98 system on his new xp system.

It's a daisy chained arrangement via the parallel port.
If I find the drivers, will the daisy chaine work in xp like it does in
win98. it was the orginal win98, not se.

There's nothing 'different' with the hardware so if you can find proper XP
drivers for all of them then it should work as it did with Win98.

Old September 14th 04, 05:27 AM
David Maynard

Cari wrote:

XP does not support piggybacking of LPT devices.

Well, don't tell that to the LPT piggy backed AS6E scanner and HP Laserjet
printer I've been using on XP for the last 2 years.

Old September 14th 04, 08:19 AM
Cari

You are only the second person l've come across who got it working.
Unfortunately millions more can't!
www.coribright.com

Old September 14th 04, 08:46 AM
David Maynard

Cari wrote:

You are only the second person l've come across who got it working.
Unfortunately millions more can't!

Millions? Boy, you must be a busy little bugger keeping track of all those
people =:O)

Just off hand I'd bet they couldn't find XP *drivers* for whatever hardware
they were trying to use because it's usually 'old stuff'. That seems to be
particularly problematic with scanners and I had to use the Windows 2000
driver for mine.

But my other 'old' scanner works in XP piggybacked too, although I had to
use compatibility mode, if I remember correctly (I swapped it out for this
one because the size fits my desk better).

That's a different matter, though, than saying 'XP' doesn't support it.

I can't find drivers for my old Diamond Video Capture Card though. Which is
a bummer as I've got three of them.

Old September 14th 04, 12:25 PM
Ken

!Allen Lasting wrote:
Hi,

I"m gonna try and help a friend's son set up an old printer, scanner, and
zip drive from his win98 system on his new xp system.

It's a daisy chained arrangement via the parallel port.
If I find the drivers, will the daisy chaine work in xp like it does in
win98. it was the orginal win98, not se.

any alligators I should watch out for?

Thanks,

Allen

Have you thought of installing an additional parallel port card?
Although I do not now have such a daisy chained setup, many problems
were solved when I did go to separate ports. Win XP cautioned me about
using unapproved drivers for my scanner and parallel port card, but they
both worked fine.
Old September 14th 04, 06:20 PM
philo

!Allen Lasting wrote:
Hi,

I"m gonna try and help a friend's son set up an old printer, scanner, and
zip drive from his win98 system on his new xp system.

It's a daisy chained arrangement via the parallel port.
If I find the drivers, will the daisy chaine work in xp like it does in
win98. it was the orginal win98, not se.

any alligators I should watch out for?

Thanks,

Allen

i *definately* can say my parallel port printer works as connected
through the scanner...
just note that many older scanners have no support under XP
so you should check into that first!

Old September 14th 04, 06:42 PM
Armond Perretta

Ken wrote:
!Allen Lasting wrote:

I"m gonna try and help a friend's son set up an old printer,
scanner, and zip drive from his win98 system on his new xp system.

It's a daisy chained arrangement ...
... will the daisy chaine work in xp like it
does in win98 ... [?]

Have you thought of installing an additional parallel port card?
Although I do not now have such a daisy chained setup, many problems
were solved when I did go to separate ports ...

I have a parallel port card that has (so far) survived Win 95, 98, 98SE, ME,
XP Pro, and , lately, XP Pro SP2. A pretty stalwart survivor, it seems. It
is (and was) a much better solution that the piggy-back route.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Old September 15th 04, 01:15 AM
David Maynard

Armond Perretta wrote:

Ken wrote:

!Allen Lasting wrote:

I"m gonna try and help a friend's son set up an old printer,
scanner, and zip drive from his win98 system on his new xp system.

It's a daisy chained arrangement ...
... will the daisy chaine work in xp like it
does in win98 ... [?]

Have you thought of installing an additional parallel port card?
Although I do not now have such a daisy chained setup, many problems
were solved when I did go to separate ports ...

I have a parallel port card that has (so far) survived Win 95, 98, 98SE, ME,
XP Pro, and , lately, XP Pro SP2. A pretty stalwart survivor, it seems. It
is (and was) a much better solution that the piggy-back route.

For all the talk about 'piggyback' vs separate port the real issue is
(printer, scanner, zip) drivers and how it's plugged in won't make any
difference without them.