No sound on HDMI cable or audio cable.

Old August 19th 13, 05:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

Default No sound on HDMI cable or audio cable.

I have 3 of these motherboards and none of them have sound on the
HDMI. All of them are running XP.
http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...-M%20EVO&os=17
I installed all the drivers from the disk. It has been so long since
I tried that I don't remember the exact error I was getting, but I had
to disable something to keep it from asking me to load a driver every
time I booted the machines.
http://imgur.com/avEsGcp
I just tried to enable it again, but it does not find a driver on the
mobo disk. It looks like it is reading some files but it gives an
error that there is a problem installing this hardware.
http://imgur.com/a/vsd14

I am not sure what driver is needs but it is not on the disk that came
with the mobo. I have at one time or another tried all 3 drivers
listed in "audio" on the web site and nothing worked.

I even tried to run a cable from the computer speaker port to the TV.
My TV has two audio ports and one is marked output so I know that is
not the correct port. I have the computer's front speaker port
connect to the audio port, but no sound from the audio cable either.
http://imgur.com/1IZqebz
http://store.vizio.com/documents/dow...UM_E420iA0.pdf
Old August 19th 13, 08:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

"For digital audio, if an HDMI device supports audio, it is required
to support the baseline format: stereo (uncompressed) PCM."

http://techreport.com/review/17328/a...aphics-chipset

"HDMI ... 1.3 for the 785G. However, the new chipset retains its
predecessor's inability to pass uncompressed multi-channel LPCM audio
over HDMI - a capability competing integrated graphics chipsets possess.
The 785G can't pass TrueHD or DTS-HD audio over its HDMI output, either."

So by subtraction, I guess that leaves PCM (pulse code modulation) stereo ?

I downloaded the graphics driver for the 785G, hoping the driver package
would have something for audio over HDMI, but I don't see anything
interesting in the package. Nope, ain't in there. 300MB download for nothing.

Turns out, you're supposed to look in "Others" driver section on
the web site. There is a thing called "ATI HDMI driver". It
looks like it should have been named "Audio over HDMI driver".

"Version 5.10.0.5880/6.0.1.58

Description
ATI HDMI Driver V5.10.0.5880 for Windows XP 32bit/XP 64bit
ATI HDMI Driver V6.0.1.5880 for Windows Vista 32bit/ Vista 64bit
/Win7 32bit/Win7 64bit"

In there is "HDAATI.inf", indicating it is HDAudio from ATI.
But the driver is actually one of the RealTek contract drivers
done for ATI. ATI just puts their name on it, while the RealTek
driver works with "standard" register sets on hardware. Something
along those lines. In later generations, ATI wrote their own
driver. Or at least, stopped crediting RealTek.

So once you get your copy of

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mis...80_XPVista.zip

that should give you audio over HDMI. But probably just default
stereo, and nothing fancy. The articles so far, aren't making the
785G sound like good "theater PC" material.

Paul
Old August 19th 13, 02:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 19/08/2013 12:58 AM, Metspitzer wrote:
I have 3 of these motherboards and none of them have sound on the
HDMI. All of them are running XP.

Not all chipsets support audio over HDMI, some are just using the HDMI
connection for video only. Basically just a glorified DVI or VGA port.

Yousuf Khan

Old August 19th 13, 04:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 03:56:39 -0400, Paul wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

I will give that a shot.
Thanks
Old August 19th 13, 04:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

Darn Fail!
http://imgur.com/a/ZSplN
Old August 19th 13, 05:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

I tried to enable the driver and load the drivers manually, but I got
a fail message when I tried that.

The thing is that there are no warnings in the device manager now, but
the sound still doesn't work at the TV.
http://imgur.com/YkgfaNw
Old August 19th 13, 07:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 00:58:10 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

[...]

I called Asus tech support and the girl suggested I install the
chipset driver, the audio driver and the HDMI driver. Doing that
made it all the way through without any errors, but I still don't have
HDMI sound.

It did add "VIA HD audio output" to the mixer device, but no cigar.

http://imgur.com/kBwUV3V

I have the rear port on my speaker connected to the TV as well. I can
hear sound coming out of the speaker if I plug my ear buds from my
phone into the jack. I have a splitter that goes from a speaker jack
to a red/white audio plug.
Old August 19th 13, 10:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 19/08/2013 12:58 AM, Metspitzer wrote:
I have 3 of these motherboards and none of them have sound on the
HDMI. All of them are running XP.

Not all chipsets support audio over HDMI, some are just using the HDMI
connection for video only. Basically just a glorified DVI or VGA port.

Yousuf Khan

This one does, because the Asus site has an Audio over HDMI (Rtk)
driver in the "Others" section of downloads. According to one
review site, only stereo LPCM is supported. No Dolby. No eight
channel mode. This would be the level of support, of the very
first generation with sound. the 785 apparently went from
HDMI 1.2 to HDMI 1.3, compared to the previous generation.

Paul
Old August 19th 13, 11:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 17:39:18 -0400, Paul wrote:

Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 19/08/2013 12:58 AM, Metspitzer wrote:
I have 3 of these motherboards and none of them have sound on the
HDMI. All of them are running XP.

Not all chipsets support audio over HDMI, some are just using the HDMI
connection for video only. Basically just a glorified DVI or VGA port.

Yousuf Khan

This one does, because the Asus site has an Audio over HDMI (Rtk)
driver in the "Others" section of downloads. According to one
review site, only stereo LPCM is supported. No Dolby. No eight
channel mode. This would be the level of support, of the very
first generation with sound. the 785 apparently went from
HDMI 1.2 to HDMI 1.3, compared to the previous generation.

Paul

The tech guy and gal I talked to trying to get this going have been
extra helpful in trying to get me going even after they found out that
the board is long since past the warranty.

The guy I talked to on the second round even said he would continue to
think about any more suggestions and email me if he came up with
something. It is still broken though.

Old August 20th 13, 02:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Yousuf Khan wrote:
[...]

Have you at least looked at the "CODE" value of the error
on that device ?

There is a recipe and certain order for UAA and HDAudio drivers,
and occasionally that breaks and UAA needs to be reinstalled. That
would probably not be the answer though, for WinXP SP3 or a later
OS.

http://al.howardknight.net/msgid.cgi...%40aioe.org%3E

Paul

HDMI Cable Martin Racette General 5 November 11th 09 09:50 PM
HDMI cable in place of DMI? Bobby General 3 August 22nd 06 08:44 PM
sound on DVD - needs audio cable? Dancin' Fool Cdr 5 July 30th 05 01:39 PM
PC audio onto HDMI cable? Noozer General 0 March 10th 05 05:20 AM
26 pin audio sound cable for PCCHIPS board buildmorelines Homebuilt PC's 0 July 23rd 03 07:43 AM