OT- AVG Anti Virus

Old November 17th 10, 04:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Von Fourche[_2_]

Default OT- AVG Anti Virus

I usually use Trend Micro on my main Dell computer but I was thinking of
trying something else when my subscription
runs out in January. I know AVG free has been highly recommended on this
group for a long time. So what about the
paid version of AVG? Is that anygood? It does say it covers three
computers. So, I can use it on my main PC, may
laptop, and then also on my sisters computer in another home, correct?

Anything better than Trend Micro and AVG? For the most part I'm happy
with Trend Micro. I just saw AVG 2011 in
Wal-Mart and did not see anything from Trend Micro.

Old November 17th 10, 04:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
powrwrap

I dumped AVG Free last December after it allowed two of my computers
to be infected. I ended up having to do a wipe and clean install of
Windows XP on one of them.

I now use Microsoft Security Essentials and am mostly satisfied. I've
never been infected and it's very unobtrusive to use. Basically, set
it and forget it. There are times, just like AVG Free, when it will
hog CPU time, but not as often or as intensely as AVG Free.

Old November 17th 10, 06:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

I had the same experiences as Powrwrap. Get Microsoft it's free and
not as intrusive as AVG.

Old November 17th 10, 01:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

wrote:

I usually use Trend Micro on my main Dell computer but I was thinking of
trying something else when my subscription
runs out in January. I know AVG free has been highly recommended on this
group for a long time. So what about the
paid version of AVG? Is that anygood? It does say it covers three
computers. So, I can use it on my main PC, may
laptop, and then also on my sisters computer in another home, correct?

Anything better than Trend Micro and AVG? For the most part I'm happy
with Trend Micro. I just saw AVG 2011 in
Wal-Mart and did not see anything from Trend Micro.

I use Commodo for my firewall and AVG antivirus (both free versions)
for my systems now. Commodo has an antivirus built in but I disable
it because I use AVG instead. I haven't had any problem like the
others have had tho there are times (perhaps once a day) I may get a
frozen or slow cpu and that may be due to some software updating
(calling home). The funny thing is, I have a lifetime license for
Outpost Security Suite which I liked a lot but I had to dump it only
because Agent 6 could not update the newsgroups using it. I spent
weeks to diagnose this and even sent feedback to the author to no
avail. It came down to switch firewall / antivirus software or get
rid of Agent. I chose to switch firewall / antivirus so I chose this
combo above and so far so good for me. Currently I'm running win 7
x64 with 4gb of ram on my own system using this combo. I also have
this running on one of my daughter's pc's using a dell 2400 with I
think 512mb or 1gb ram on a XP system and I think she has no problem
with it. I use my system a lot so I feel confident with this setup. I
wonder (tho I can't say) if the others who had bad experiences, have a
bad setting causing their problems???? I'm not trying to discount
their experiences and I do believe them but AVG free, is recommended a
lot besides here (why I decided to use it myself) and as I said, my
experience (for about 5 months or so) has been so far so good. And
just to set the record straight, I'm just an end user with no
connection to any software mfgr so I have no conflicts of interest
here.

All this said, if you are happy with Trend Micro, I'd stay put unless
it's too costly or can't do now what you want. Best advice tho is not
to rely on any firewall or antivirus and MAKE BACKUPS often !!!!
Old November 17th 10, 02:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

On Nov 16, 9:17*pm, "Von Fourche"
wrote:
* * I usually use Trend Micro on my main Dell computer but I was thinking of
trying something else when my subscription
runs out in January. *I know AVG free has been highly recommended on this
group for a long time. So what about the
paid version of AVG? Is that anygood? *It does say it covers three
computers. *So, I can use it on my main PC, may
laptop, and then also on my sisters computer in another home, correct?

* Anything better than Trend Micro and AVG? *For the most part I'm happy
with Trend Micro. *I just saw AVG 2011 in
Wal-Mart and did not see anything from Trend Micro.

These suggestions/preferences are as varied as personalities.

I use XPs built-in firewall, a sandboxed browser (Firefox), Avast
Free! (I have a slow connection or I would be using MSE).
Old November 17th 10, 02:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Phil Gilmer

Von Fourche wrote:
I usually use Trend Micro on my main Dell computer but I was thinking of
trying something else when my subscription
runs out in January. I know AVG free has been highly recommended on this
group for a long time. So what about the
paid version of AVG? Is that anygood? It does say it covers three
computers. So, I can use it on my main PC, may
laptop, and then also on my sisters computer in another home, correct?

Anything better than Trend Micro and AVG? For the most part I'm happy
with Trend Micro. I just saw AVG 2011 in
Wal-Mart and did not see anything from Trend Micro.

I would recommend Avast Antivirus over pretty much anything and I have
tried pretty much all of them, including MS Security Essentials. I have
used it for years and have never had any infections. Moreover, it
consumes less system resources than other commercial products I have
tried. While version 5 is intended for use on newer processors, version
4.8 is still supported for older processors.

As for MS Security Essentials... I am not comfortable getting my AV
software from the same people that wrote the OS that is so riddled with
security flaws as to require an AV product in the first place.
Old November 17th 10, 04:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rasta Pickles

On Nov 17, 2:41*pm, WaIIy wrote:
On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 19:41:58 -0800 (PST), powrwrap
wrote:

I dumped AVG Free last December after it allowed two of my computers
to be infected. I ended up having to do a wipe and clean install of
Windows XP on one of them.

I now use Microsoft Security Essentials and am mostly satisfied. I've
never been infected and it's very unobtrusive to use. Basically, set
it and forget it. There are times, just like AVG Free, when it will
hog CPU time, but not as often or as intensely as AVG Free.

I found MSE to be very intrusive and even changed my update settings
without permission.

I now use Avira, which has been great.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/micro...rmed-paid/2614
Old November 17th 10, 05:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_6_]

"Von Fourche" wrote in
m:

I usually use Trend Micro on my main Dell computer but I was
thinking of
trying something else when my subscription
runs out in January. I know AVG free has been highly recommended on
this group for a long time. So what about the
paid version of AVG? Is that anygood? It does say it covers three
computers. So, I can use it on my main PC, may
laptop, and then also on my sisters computer in another home, correct?

Anything better than Trend Micro and AVG? For the most part I'm
happy
with Trend Micro. I just saw AVG 2011 in
Wal-Mart and did not see anything from Trend Micro.

I run MSE and Avast (free version), simultaneously, on older XP machines,
and newer Win 7 machines, and have no problems. Between the two, MSE pops
up more often warning me of somewhere I've browsed to than does Avast. MSE
has always effectively cleaned/deleted.
Old November 18th 10, 03:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

MS ought to know how to fix security bugs since they wrote them!lol.
My next computer is going to be an Apple, I'm tired of MS crap myself.

Old November 18th 10, 04:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Martin Walker

I usually use Trend Micro on my main Dell computer but I was thinking
of trying something else when my subscription
runs out in January. I know AVG free has been highly recommended on this
group for a long time. So what about the
paid version of AVG? Is that anygood? It does say it covers three
computers. So, I can use it on my main PC, may
laptop, and then also on my sisters computer in another home, correct?

Anything better than Trend Micro and AVG? For the most part I'm happy
with Trend Micro. I just saw AVG 2011 in
Wal-Mart and did not see anything from Trend Micro.

I've used the AVG free version for a long time and have generally been happy
with it. I recently let it update to the 2011 version and it really slowed
down IE8. It would take several seconds to open a new browser tab or load a
different web site. My Inspiron 580 has an i5 750 processor and 6GB RAM, so
it isn't exactly slow. I turned off link scanner and online shield(or
whatever it's called) but saw no improvement. I uninstalled it then
re-installed without those components. No improvement. Uninstalled it again
and went back to version 9. Problem fixed. Now my old laptop just about
ground to a halt with version 9. It tolerates version 8 ok. AVG used to be a
nice lean program but I'm beginning to think it's become quite a resource
hog lately.

(OT) I suppose everyone noticed that AVG free anti-spyware...... S.Lewis Dell Computers 10 November 19th 07 01:35 AM
Microsoft Anti-Spyware Deleting Norton Anti-Virus Sparky Spartacus Dell Computers 5 February 16th 06 10:46 AM
SWsoft Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 Build 508, Acronis OS Selector 8.0 Build 917, Acronis Partition Expert 2003 Build 292, Acronis Power Utilities 2004 Build 502, F-SECURE.ANTI vIRUS.PROXY v1.10.17.WINALL, F-SECURE.ANTI vIRUS v5.50.10260 for CITRI vvcd Storage (alternative) 3 December 4th 05 12:46 PM
Anti virus ??? LaRrY Dell Computers 35 August 19th 05 07:23 PM
Anti virus? David Simpson AMD x86-64 Processors 4 May 19th 05 08:19 PM