Video card that can "fake" screen size and resolution

Old September 17th 07, 09:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
HotRdd

Default Video card that can "fake" screen size and resolution

I am using an application that is very very dependent on the actual monitor
and monitor resolution that I have. I have the need to create a large
printout and was wondering even if I don't have a monitor to support it is
there a video card that will allow me to capture my image at a large size
and greater resolution than I have. I already have 4GB RAM installed so
memory is not a problem. Right now I'm using a RADEON X550 video card. The
only hints I've been given from the pro's is to have a look at my RAM and
video card, thoughts?

Old September 18th 07, 01:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

The RAMDAC on all consumer-level video cards nowadays is limited to
2048x1536 (or 1900x1200 for single-link digital DVI). If you want a virtual
resolution larger than 2048x1536 you are out of luck.

If however your monitor is limited to a lower res, you can force a res up to
2048x1536 through panning. Ensure panning is enabled in CCC (see
http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ingcccwb3.png), then select a
higher res in Displays Manager - Desktop Area.

Old September 18th 07, 11:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Arno Wagner

Previously HotRdd wrote:
I am using an application that is very very dependent on the actual monitor
and monitor resolution that I have. I have the need to create a large
printout and was wondering even if I don't have a monitor to support it is
there a video card that will allow me to capture my image at a large size
and greater resolution than I have. I already have 4GB RAM installed so
memory is not a problem. Right now I'm using a RADEON X550 video card. The
only hints I've been given from the pro's is to have a look at my RAM and
video card, thoughts?

Well, if it is Linux, use a virtual screen size larger than the
physical one. It is a standard option for Xfree86 and X.org.

Under Windows, you probably will need to buy some software that
does this for you or see whether ATI offers something.

Arno
Old September 18th 07, 12:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Arno Wagner

Previously First of One wrote:
The RAMDAC on all consumer-level video cards nowadays is limited to
2048x1536 (or 1900x1200 for single-link digital DVI). If you want a virtual
resolution larger than 2048x1536 you are out of luck.

What does the physical limits of the card have to do with the
virtual screen size?

Old September 18th 07, 11:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

It's just the way the ATi driver was written (or at least the way the driver
interface was implemented). The 2048x1536 cap is confirmed on my system with
Radeon X1900XT and Catalyst 7.9. Theoretically the virtual screen size
should be limited only by the framebuffer, but in actuality that's not the
case.

Old September 18th 07, 11:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_4_]

You should probably be looking at an Nvidia Quattro video card in one of the
more powerful (and expensive) versions. The Quattros are the professional
version video cards.

--
---------------------
DaveW

---------------------

Old February 8th 09, 02:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
goud

so I am trying to do this also for a HTPC so that I can have a lower
resolution LCD duplicate desktop with a 1080P projector.
I have installed the latest version of CCC (under win7) and the option
shown in the picture simply isn't there, any idea if there is a
registry hack to enable it?
Thanks

First of One;298508 Wrote:
The RAMDAC on all consumer-level video cards nowadays is limited to
2048x1536 (or 1900x1200 for single-link digital DVI). If you want a
virtual
resolution larger than 2048x1536 you are out of luck.

If however your monitor is limited to a lower res, you can force a res
up to
2048x1536 through panning. Ensure panning is enabled in CCC (see
'ImageShack - Image Hosting :: panningcccwb3.png'
(http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ngcccwb3.png)), then