Precision 670 workstation - decoder for DVD drive

Old December 21st 08, 06:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Precision 670 workstation - decoder for DVD drive

I have a 670 Wkstn that just came off a lease, and I just installed a legal
Xp OS on the box. Everything things to work from drivers off the Dell
Support site, but I cannot play MPG2 videos or DVDs. What is needed
to view these files? Also is it necessary to install some special CD burn
software? or does native Xp Pro work well enough?

-Ed

Old December 22nd 08, 12:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 15:45:43 -0500, Ben Myers
brought the following to our attention:

wrote:
I have a 670 Wkstn that just came off a lease, and I just installed a legal
Xp OS on the box. Everything things to work from drivers off the Dell
Support site, but I cannot play MPG2 videos or DVDs. What is needed
to view these files? Also is it necessary to install some special CD burn
software? or does native Xp Pro work well enough?

-Ed

Windows Media Player to play MPEGs? DVDs? If not, there are several
free MPEG and DVD players on the web.

Native XP Pro does poorly with burning CDs and DVDs. I suggest the free
and very functional CDBurnerXP, a free download... Ben Myers

Yeah Ben.. when I try to play a MPG that I downloaded (apparently MPEG-2)
Media Player pops up a message and offers `more infoŽ and clicking on that
link (or button) takes you to:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...0805F6CBBEA%7d

where they try to sell you decoders, etc.

Thanks for the freeware tip. )

-Ed

Old December 22nd 08, 03:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Well, here is a source for an MPEG-2 player for Windows:

http://www.mpeg.org/MPEG/video/mssg-...-software.html

Maybe another one:

http://www.winamp.com/player

And again:

http://www.gustosoft.com/divx-player...ivx-player.htm

One more time:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows...wsdvdmpeg.html

Or:

That's all I could find... Ben Myers
Old December 22nd 08, 05:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

CDBurnerXP works well and is free to use. It offers a lot of
functionality, although you will need the .NET Framework to use it.

For DVD playback, I use and recommend the VideoLAN VLC player. This is
also free (and open source!) to use.

http://www.videolan.org/

The user interface isn't as polished as most of the commercial, closed
source DVD decoders I've seen. However, it does work well.

William
Old December 22nd 08, 09:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
papajon

On Dec 22, 11:29*am, "William R. Walsh" wrote:
Hi!

CDBurnerXP works well and is free to use. It offers a lot of
functionality, although you will need the .NET Framework to use it.

For DVD playback, I use and recommend the VideoLAN VLC player. This is
also free (and open source!) to use.

http://www.videolan.org/

The user interface isn't as polished as most of the commercial, closed
source DVD decoders I've seen. However, it does work well.

William

Though I am not using WINDOZE and use UBUNTU I have been using VLC and
it works very well and is easy to install