Nvidia 9600GT Font Rendering Looks Terrible

Old April 24th 08, 03:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Don[_2_]

Default Nvidia 9600GT Font Rendering Looks Terrible

I just upgraded the video card on my PC from an ATI X1600 series to a
Nvidia 9600GT series card. First I uninstalled the ATI Control Center
and drivers as to their instructions. I then shut down the machine and
changed cards. And then I installed the Nvidia drivers. Everything
works fine except one thing. When I crank up the resolution on my
Viewsonic 23 inch flat panel to 1290*1200 the font rendering looks
terrible. Characters and words are almost impossible to read. When I
turn the resolution back to 1600*1200 like it is now, things look a lot
better. Is there anything I can do to restore the higher resolution?
In some ways this video card is more compatible with my monitor than the
ATI. For one thing, the DVI-D mode works just fine.

Thanks
Old April 24th 08, 03:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Don wrote:

I just upgraded the video card on my PC from an ATI X1600 series to a
Nvidia 9600GT series card. First I uninstalled the ATI Control Center
and drivers as to their instructions. I then shut down the machine and
changed cards. And then I installed the Nvidia drivers. Everything
works fine except one thing. When I crank up the resolution on my
Viewsonic 23 inch flat panel to 1290*1200 the font rendering looks
terrible. Characters and words are almost impossible to read. When I
turn the resolution back to 1600*1200 like it is now, things look a lot
better. Is there anything I can do to restore the higher resolution? In
some ways this video card is more compatible with my monitor than the
ATI. For one thing, the DVI-D mode works just fine.

Thanks

1) Typefaces on LCDs look best in the panels native resolution.

2) Fonts and can managed effectively on LCD panels with size changes and
enabling cleartype.

Pick the panel's native resolution, stick to it, then adjust the size of
the type and then all processing effects such as clear type.
Old April 24th 08, 03:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Don[_2_]

Mr.E Solved! wrote:
Don wrote:

[...]

The monitor's optimum resolution is 1920*1200 but that resolution is now
useless. Would installing Windows XP from scratch help, i.e. no ATI
remnants?
Old April 24th 08, 05:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Don wrote:
Mr.E Solved! wrote:
Don wrote:

[...]

You have completed step 1, now step 2.
Old April 24th 08, 08:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Don[_2_]

Mr.E Solved! wrote:
Don wrote:
Mr.E Solved! wrote:
Don wrote:

[...]

I activated the ClearType and things do look better. However at
1920*1200 resolution the typeface isn't black, white, or any consistent
color. Each character is made up of several different colors and it
doesn't matter whether I'm using small, large, or custom font settings.
Is there any way to fix this?
Old April 24th 08, 10:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Don wrote:
Mr.E Solved! wrote:
Don wrote:
Mr.E Solved! wrote:
Don wrote:

[...]

Optimum is not native,,and there is a difference. Make sure you know.

I looked, there is no 23" Viewsonic with a 1920x1200 WS native panel,
but there is a 24" VX2435WM. Do you have that?

If so, are the drivers current, reading user reviews there might be
driver issues.

Also, increase the typeface size, make the letters bigger than the lcd
elements. This is your first LCD, yes?
Old April 24th 08, 10:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_5_]

Each size of LCD monitor has only ONE Native Resolution specification that
works at optimum clarity of image. If you use any other resolution setting
you get the problem that you are describing. It sounds like your monitor's
correct Native Resolution setting is 1600 x 1200 and so that is the ONLY
setting that will give an optimum image. (The older CRT monitors could be
equally set to any resolution.)
By the way, you said that you were turning your resolution back DOWN to 1600
x 1200, from 1290 x 1200. That is wrong terminology. You are turning the
resolution UP to 1600 x 1200, from the lower setting of 1290 x 1200.

--
--DaveW

Old April 24th 08, 11:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Don[_2_]

Mr.E Solved! wrote:
Don wrote:
Mr.E Solved! wrote:
Don wrote:
Mr.E Solved! wrote:
Don wrote:

[...]

The Viewsonic VP2330wb monitor does have a 1920*1200 setting. I haven't
looked at their model list for a while. Perhaps it was replaced by a 24
inch model. I turned off the resolution notice message informing the
operator "for best results the monitor should be set to 1920*1200. And
I did install the most up to date drivers. I'm beginning to think there
is a compatibility issue between Viewsonic and Nvidia. And yes this is
my first LCD screen. The compact size is a definite advantage. But I'm
beginning to think that the tube monitors are better in many ways.
Old April 24th 08, 11:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

I looked, there is no 23" Viewsonic with a 1920x1200 WS native panel, but
there is a 24" VX2435WM. Do you have that?

There actually is....
http://store.shopila.net/vp2330wb766907150919.html

Old April 25th 08, 12:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Michael Krzepkowski

DaveW wrote:
Each size of LCD monitor has only ONE Native Resolution specification that
works at optimum clarity of image. If you use any other resolution setting
you get the problem that you are describing. It sounds like your monitor's
correct Native Resolution setting is 1600 x 1200 and so that is the ONLY
setting that will give an optimum image. (The older CRT monitors could be
equally set to any resolution.)
By the way, you said that you were turning your resolution back DOWN to 1600
x 1200, from 1290 x 1200. That is wrong terminology. You are turning the
resolution UP to 1600 x 1200, from the lower setting of 1290 x 1200.

or just a typo as there is no standard resolution of 1290 (there is
1280...)