9600GT vs 8800GT

Old March 13th 08, 09:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Deeg

Default 9600GT vs 8800GT

Hi.

Been looking at upgrading my gfx card for a while, the 6600 is
starting to creak just a tad and have narrowed the choice down to
either the 9600GT or 8800GT.

There's only about £15 difference in the cost of the cards so is there
anyone on here who'd recommend the 9600 over the 8800?

TIA,

--
Deeg
Old March 13th 08, 10:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deadguy3[_2_]

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 20:33:38 GMT, Deeg wrote:

Hi.

Been looking at upgrading my gfx card for a while, the 6600 is
starting to creak just a tad and have narrowed the choice down to
either the 9600GT or 8800GT.

There's only about £15 difference in the cost of the cards so is there
anyone on here who'd recommend the 9600 over the 8800?

TIA,

doing hd video get 9600, if not get 8800.
Old March 13th 08, 11:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"Deeg" wrote in message
Hi.

Been looking at upgrading my gfx card for a while, the 6600 is
starting to creak just a tad and have narrowed the choice down to
either the 9600GT or 8800GT.

There's only about £15 difference in the cost of the cards so is there
anyone on here who'd recommend the 9600 over the 8800?

It's not that the 9600GT is a bad card, it's just that the 8800GT is just
better by at least 10% or more in overall in newer DX10 and DX9 at
resolutions in excess of 1440x900 and 1280x1024. In the synthetic 3DMark06,
it gets close to a typical 8800GT score. The larger the monitor and
resolution, the greater the edge the 8800GT has. There's lots of reviews out
there, and some have the edge closer than others. I find it best to compare
demanding games because newer 3D games are definitely heading into Crysis
like territory. There's a decrease in power consumption, and HD decoding
offloads the CPU more than the 88XX series, but that's it. The 8800GT isn't
exactly a power hog, and taxing the CPU more in HD decoding is scarcely a
crime. Neither are in the same league HD38XX series for offloading the CPU
in HD decoding. No matter if a game is DX9 or DX10, the 8800GT is better at
it by a real margin. On a large monitor at native resolution and in a DX10
title, the margin is not just 10%. Don't be fooled by the naming convention,
the 9600GT is not a next gen card. It compares more to an HD3870 in DX10
titles in Vista than an 8800GT.

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=724&p=0

Old March 13th 08, 11:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

Neither are in the same league HD38XX series for offloading the CPU in HD
decoding.

Should read: "Neither are in the same league as the HD38XX series....."

Old March 15th 08, 12:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_5_]

Pardon my confusion, but I believe your older 6600 card uses an AGP socket
on your motherboard, and the 9600GT you are looking at uses the latest
generation PCI-E 2.0 socket. (The 8800GT uses the PCI-E 1.0 socket.) I
believe you have a compatibility problem with your motherboard's video
socket.

--
--DaveW

Old March 15th 08, 12:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"DaveW" wrote in message
. ..
Pardon my confusion, but I believe your older 6600 card uses an AGP socket
on your motherboard, and the 9600GT you are looking at uses the latest
generation PCI-E 2.0 socket. (The 8800GT uses the PCI-E 1.0 socket.) I
believe you have a compatibility problem with your motherboard's video
socket.

Never heard of a 6600GT PCI-E card? Or do you think the OP is as clueless as
you? Also, DaveW, the PCI-E 1.0 and 2.0 "socket", as you put it, are one
and the same.

Old March 15th 08, 02:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Fishface

"Augustus" wrote in message news:fZDCj.88569$w57.44776@edtnps90...

"DaveW" wrote in message . ..
Pardon my confusion, but I believe your older 6600 card uses an AGP socket on your motherboard, and the 9600GT you
are looking at uses the latest generation PCI-E 2.0 socket. (The 8800GT uses the PCI-E 1.0 socket.) I believe you
have a compatibility problem with your motherboard's video socket.

Never heard of a 6600GT PCI-E card?

....or is it a 6800?!

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...219a08fb646a17

Old March 15th 08, 03:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

...or is it a 6800?!

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...219a08fb646a17

Yeah, he seems confused about that. But he definitely says it's a PCI-E
board. And DaveW is still an idiot.

Old March 16th 08, 12:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Deeg

"DaveW" wrote in message . ..
Pardon my confusion, but I believe your older 6600 card uses an AGP socket on your motherboard, and the 9600GT you
are looking at uses the latest generation PCI-E 2.0 socket. (The 8800GT uses the PCI-E 1.0 socket.) I believe you
have a compatibility problem with your motherboard's video socket.

Never heard of a 6600GT PCI-E card?

...or is it a 6800?!

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...219a08fb646a17

You're right it is a 6800. Still what's 200 between friends eh?

Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

--
Deeg