software (?) for 7300LE viewing

Old November 22nd 07, 01:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
zulu

Default software (?) for 7300LE viewing

Hi all

If I plug a CCTV camera or other cideo input into my Geforce 7300LE catd,
HOW do I view it???

I also have (somewhere!) a Belkin USB Vidiobus 2, but again, what do I need
to use to view it?

TIA

Rog

Old November 22nd 07, 02:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

zulu wrote:
Hi all

If I plug a CCTV camera or other cideo input into my Geforce 7300LE catd,
HOW do I view it???

I also have (somewhere!) a Belkin USB Vidiobus 2, but again, what do I need
to use to view it?

TIA

Rog

There are some capture tools listed here.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/capture

Check the CD that came with the device, to see if
any software is included. You can also go to the
manufacturer's site, like belkin.com, and look for
software there. (Site needs a part number, to get
at the drivers/software.)

Are you sure the 7300LE has VIVO ? If I look in the specifications
for this one, VIVO is listed as "No". The "Video In" is the important
part of VIVO, and that is what you need. VIVO stands for video in
video out.

VIVO defined...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_In_Video_Out

This is an example of a video card with VIVO capability. They
include a nice multi-headed cable, with S-video and composite inputs
for a camera.

7800GT with VIVO.
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggIma...130-035-06.jpg

Paul
Old November 22nd 07, 04:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
zulu

"Paul" wrote in message ...
zulu wrote:
[...]

I found the belkin drivers OK, thanks.
There was a MS(?) utility that I used to use with this on my old computer
but I can't remember what it was now

I can find no software/CD that goes with the 7300LE though.
It came already fitted to this Dell Dimension 9510 computer, but I have no
idea what I should be looking for to access the card.
I may have inadvertently uninstalled something as there was a lot of Dell
crap that I removed.

Rog

Old November 22nd 07, 05:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

zulu wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message ...
zulu wrote:
[...]

These are examples of the driver type needed, *IF* your video card
had VIVO capability. This is a WDM capture driver. It bridges the gap,
between VIVO hardware on the video card, and allows any capture programs
that support WDM, to access the captured video. (There is a second
type of driver, VfW or video for Windows, but that is an older standard.)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/wdm_geforce2-fx_2.26
http://www.nvidia.com/object/wdm_winxp-2k-Me-98se_2.20

To use a capture program, it has to support the type of driver
being used.

Windows Movie Maker may be able to work with some devices like that.
I don't really know. I would hope your Belkin product came with its
own capturing program. Otherwise, you'll have to start, by figuring
out what standard the Belkin device supports, and how best to connect
to it.

Paul
Old November 22nd 07, 08:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
zulu

"Paul" wrote in message ...
zulu wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message ...
zulu wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all your imput Paul.
I at least understand which direction to go now! :-))

regards.
Rog

Old November 24th 07, 11:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
zulu

Hi again Paul (or whoever)

"zulu" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message ...
zulu wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message

snip

I have updated the GeFotce 7300LE card with this driver:

ForceWare Release 163 WHQL Certified
Version: 163.75
Release Date: 5.11.2007
Operating System: Windows XP, Windows XP Media Centre Edition
Language: English (International)
File Size: 68.7 MB

It seeems to be working OK, but a couple of things concern me...

1) I am using Windows XP Pro (not Media Centre Edition), but it seems I
don't have a choice here.

2) When I go to the NVIDIA Control panel Display, I get the option to
*Move Screen Position^, which is obviously for a CRT monitor.
I am using a 26 inch Samsung LCD TV as a monitor, and again I wonder if I
have chosen the correct driver.

Incidentally. I never _had_ the NVIDIA Control Panel available before I
updated.

Computer is a Dell 9150.

What I need, I guess, is reassurance that I haven't got it horribly wrong!

Cheers
Rog

Old November 24th 07, 08:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

zulu wrote:
Hi again Paul (or whoever)

"zulu" wrote in message
"Paul" wrote in message ...
zulu wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message

[...]

If you got the video card driver and control panel from the Nvidia
site, and the installer ran without complaint, my guess is you
did OK.

With a VGA connector, I'm not sure the driver really knows or cares
that the display is CRT or LCD. The LCD EDID probably has a nice mode
line, that would perfectly position a display on an LCD device. On
a CRT, you have the uncertainty of the analog electronics, which
makes the option to position the display, a useful one. On
my old multisync CRT, it actually has memory inside, and remembers
the X-Y offset for every resolution applied, so sometimes with the
CRT, you have the nuisance of the two adjustment features on
the go at the same time. (I could either adjust at the CRT, or
at the video card's display control panel.)

To see if the DDC and EDID are working on the interface to the
LCD TV, try running this program. If it lists all the details of
your LCD TV, that means there is a working DDC interface on the
LCD TV's video connector. That is what helps "Plug and play" for
the new monitor.

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

The main thing is, does the display work ? Have you tested 2D and
3D (gaming) modes ? If you don't own any games, try 3DMark2001SE,
as it is a relatively small download, and is a basic test that the
DirectX stuff is working. Some of the later 3DMark benchmarking
programs, are a larger download than this one.

"3Dmark 2001 SE (Build 330)" - 41MB download
http://www.majorgeeks.com/3Dmark_d99.html

There are also some basic tests in the DirectX package from Microsoft.
Go to Start:Run and type "dxdiag" without the double quotes, and run
the dxdiag program. There are some tests in there you can try. The
only bad thing about dxdiag, is sometimes the "enable"/"disable"
buttons are confusing to the user, so don't go clicking on them.
Just leave them alone for the time being. Use the test buttons,
for some quick testing.

Nvidia makes some manuals available. I haven't managed to find this
on the ftp://download.nvidia.com site - it looks like the later
releases are via HTTP, making it harder to browse for stuff.
This might make a handy reference if you're looking for something.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Window...tart_Guide.pdf

If you need more detail than that, try reading some of the older PDFs
here. At least these will get you used to the terminology, if
nothing else.

(4 PDF documents, new and old control panels, Nview etc)
ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/91.33

Paul
Old November 25th 07, 11:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
zulu

"Paul" wrote in message ...
zulu wrote:
Hi again Paul (or whoever)

"zulu" wrote in message
"Paul" wrote in message
zulu wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message

[...]

That lot should keep me off your back for a few days! VBG
TYVM :-)
I _did_ d/l diirect from the Nvidia site BTW.
All seems fine ATM X's fingers

Cheers
Rog