network backup service providers

Old October 18th 07, 06:31 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Oktokie

Default network backup service providers

We currently have tapeback-up solution for backing up 10 workstations
and two file servers in small sized shop.
Files consists of documents files and small mssql database, small
mysql database.
We want to explore the ways to back-up via online at night. Our full
backup is about 50GB in size. We have raid5 local backup server for
daily backup on site.

The plan is to upload Friday's full snapshot onto network backup
service over the weekend.

We'll be using a cable modem with 10Mbit down / 3Mbits up.
10 Windows XP Pro clients and 2 Windows 2003 Servers.

Can someone recommand any good network backup service provider?

I am currently evaluating following service providers.

1. Intronis technologies
http://www.intronis.com

2. evalut
http://www.evault.com/small-business/

3. ironmountain
http://backup.ironmountain.com/

Paul

Old October 19th 07, 02:37 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously oktokie wrote:
[...]

Looking recently I found that there were no reasonably priced offers.
That may have changed. My solution was to rent a vserver with ehoung
space, which turned out to be cheaper. But I have significnatly
lower requirements that you do.

For your data-sitze, your upload will take soemthing like 50 hours,
iv everything works smoothly. I would say that such an installation
is only borderline functional. If your backup fails, you cannot halt
everything and restart it. You might have to run for a full week
without backup even to diagnose the problem.

A better option is to invest into a professional tape drive,
do your backup Thursday-Friday night and have an emplyee
take the tape home. Much cheaper and much more resilient.
Also there is considerable headroom, for example if you get
a 200GB drive. With your internet connection, even 20GB more could
mean that the backup cannot finish until Monday morning.

Arno

Old October 24th 07, 10:38 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
just bob

The livevault service is great. www.livevault.com

But I use them for small remote offices which do not have databases, tape
drives and people to manage both. We do not use them for exchange or
databases because you really can't restore individual items, at least not
yet. But I do like that their agents backup in real time as a snapshot so if
a user deletes a file he just created today, we can restore it in just a
couple minutes, and do so over the web from any internet connected computer.

We have been a customer for a long time so we get a pretty good deal at
$11.00 per GB per month by paying for the year in advance. Every year we
renew and ask them to lower the price. We have only a 35GB plan but it's
spread over three locations and six servers. We get an unlimited number of
servers, by the way.

LiveVault is now owned by Iron Mountain and if you call them direct they
will probably want to charge a lot more. We use a reseller who helps us get
a better price. A Google search should turn up some resellers, such as
http://isc-support.com.

oups.com...