Successor to 8800?

Old June 1st 07, 12:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
HockeyTownUSA[_2_]

Default Successor to 8800?

I have started compiling the specs for my new PC, which I'm hoping to start
purchasing components in the next month or so. The 8800 has been out for a
little bit, and seems like it is about time for them to announce the next
iteration of the 8800. Anyone know if it is worth the wait, or what features
it will have better than the current 8800's and when it will be available?

Thanks.

Old June 1st 07, 02:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Wax

"HockeyTownUSA" wrote in message
I have started compiling the specs for my new PC, which I'm hoping to start
purchasing components in the next month or so. The 8800 has been out for a
little bit, and seems like it is about time for them to announce the next
iteration of the 8800. Anyone know if it is worth the wait, or what
features it will have better than the current 8800's and when it will be
available?

Thanks.

Rumor has it that we should see something all-new a month or two before
Christmas. Personally, I would wait rather than take an incremental
improvement in the form of an 8900 (or whatever it may be called and
assuming that it is in the works) because DirectX 10 will have more
relevance towards the end of the year (even if still not very much) and some
pretty wild promises have been made with regards to the level of
performance. Do a search on the G92. Knowing that you make fairly frequent
changes to your computer, I know you could wait it out with the system you
currently have. I would put that money in savings for now and gain a bit of
interest on it. Good luck either way.

Old June 1st 07, 02:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Taipan

"HockeyTownUSA" wrote in message
I have started compiling the specs for my new PC, which I'm hoping to start
purchasing components in the next month or so. The 8800 has been out for a
little bit, and seems like it is about time for them to announce the next
iteration of the 8800. Anyone know if it is worth the wait, or what
features it will have better than the current 8800's and when it will be
available?

Thanks.

I remember putting my new PC together at the start of the year and splashing
out on an 8800gtx.. people were telling me I should have waited for the next
ATI product set or the next nVidia chipset. And over 4 months later, the
8800 series is still pretty much the best you can get in terms of
performance (ATI's 2900 looks very weak indeed).

But i have been burned before.. I suffered from early adoption on the Radeon
800XT and the GF 7800GT , both made obsolete by newer products within a few
months. So now I just don't think about what's coming up. Even if you wait
for the next best thing, what's to say you're shiny new card won't be
superceded within a few months?

--
TP

Old June 1st 07, 03:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
ShutEye

cut
But i have been burned before.. I suffered from early adoption on the
Radeon 800XT and the GF 7800GT , both made obsolete by newer products
within a few months. So now I just don't think about what's coming up.
Even if you wait for the next best thing, what's to say you're shiny new
card won't be superceded within a few months?

You are so right!
When buying computer parts - just buy want you want/can afford and don't
look back

Old June 1st 07, 04:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Setchell

What about a motherboard? I am too putting specs together and the one item
that's driving me nuts is trying to decide if I should buy the most recent
MB, like a P35 chipset, because I would like to think I could then use the
next gen CPU's in a year or two after the price drops. Right now it seems
th 6700 core duo (overclocked) might be the best price/performance choice.

Old June 1st 07, 05:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ed Medlin[_3_]

"Setchell" wrote in message
What about a motherboard? I am too putting specs together and the one
item that's driving me nuts is trying to decide if I should buy the most
recent MB, like a P35 chipset, because I would like to think I could then
use the next gen CPU's in a year or two after the price drops. Right now
it seems th 6700 core duo (overclocked) might be the best
price/performance choice.

The P35 has no track record yet and seems that it will support about the
same future CPUs as the NV 680i boards do. I use the Asus P5N32-E SLI and it
is great with my E6600 at 3.2ghz at stock vcore. As with all 680i boards,
the NB seems to run a bit warm so I added a 120mm fan at low speed to blow a
bit of air across the heatpipe cooling of the NB and that seemed to do the
trick without extra noise since I have liquid cooling on the CPU. Looking
two years into the future has never worked for me.....:-). I try and leave
myself at least one upgrade path but it seems I rarely use it. Socket and
compatibility issues usually screw that idea up about the time I want to
upgrade. I think I may have upgraded a couple of times in the P3 Coppermine
years, but that was about it except for the S7 days several years before
that when you could slap just about any AMD or Intel CPU into those things.

Ed

Old June 1st 07, 10:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
HockeyTownUSA[_2_]

"ShutEye" wrote in message ...
Even if you wait for the next best thing, what's to say you're shiny new
card won't be superceded within a few months?

You are so right!
When buying computer parts - just buy want you want/can afford and don't
look back

I too, am looking for the P35 chipset. The next gen of Intel's will make use
of the 1333MHz FSB as well. I am building a small form factor machine using
micro-ATX motherboard, and Gigabyte has one coming out real soon. When that
happens, I will probably build.

Old June 2nd 07, 06:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
sales n service

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 07:39:44 -0400, "HockeyTownUSA"
wrote:

I have started compiling the specs for my new PC, which I'm hoping to start
purchasing components in the next month or so. The 8800 has been out for a
little bit, and seems like it is about time for them to announce the next
iteration of the 8800. Anyone know if it is worth the wait, or what features
it will have better than the current 8800's and when it will be available?

Thanks.

Full H264 decoding like the 8600s probably sooner.
Support for the new pci-e16 video slot probably later.
Always faster clocks.

Old June 4th 07, 04:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
HockeyTownUSA[_2_]

"Ed Medlin" wrote in message
t...

"Setchell" wrote in message
[...]

Not necessarily. 680i boards don't all support the 1333FSB. That is the key
for the next Core 2 iteration.

Old June 4th 07, 10:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'HockeyTownUSA' wrote:
| Not necessarily. 680i boards don't all support the 1333FSB. That is the
key
| for the next Core 2 iteration.
_____

Name one 680i motherboard that does not support an 1333 MHz FSB. Name one
680i motherboard that will not support an 1600 MHz FSB!

Phil Weldon