256MB nVidia GeForce 7300LE TurboCache and 1440x900 resolution

Old April 30th 07, 02:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Levine

Default 256MB nVidia GeForce 7300LE TurboCache and 1440x900 resolution

I just tried setting up a new E521 for a friend and was shocked to find
that I couldn't set the video resolution to 1440x900 to use with his LG
19" widescreen monitor. In fact, I didn't see any widescreen resolutions
available at all.

I can't seem to find any real info on this and before I go banging my
head against a wall, I figured I'd ask here.

Does anyone have any clue about his card. It's fairly new and Dell sells
it with widescreen monitors. Is there a driver update somewhere? I
checked Dell's site as well as nVidia's and can't find anything that works.

TIA,

Bob
Old April 30th 07, 03:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Posted At: Monday, April 30, 2007 9:52 AM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: 256MB nVidia GeForce 7300LE TurboCache and 1440x900
resolution

I just tried setting up a new E521 for a friend and was shocked to find
that I couldn't set the video resolution to 1440x900 to use with his LG
19" widescreen monitor. In fact, I didn't see any widescreen resolutions

available at all.

I can't seem to find any real info on this and before I go banging my
head against a wall, I figured I'd ask here.

Does anyone have any clue about his card. It's fairly new and Dell sells

it with widescreen monitors. Is there a driver update somewhere? I
checked Dell's site as well as nVidia's and can't find anything that
works.

TIA,

Bob

Did you install the monitor's INF file? Odds are the monitor isn't
reporting its own resolution capabilities properly, so the card is
defaulting to standard resolutions.

I have the 7300LE in my machine and have driving 1280x720, 1920x1080 and
1920x1200 just fine. I don't have a 1440x900 monitor, so I can't test
that.

Worst case, if LG doesn't provide the right INF, you can use Powerstrip
to create one.

I have to admit, that I only own one LG monitor, a 42" LCD. I have had
nothing but trouble getting it to run at the proper resolution. Nothing
I can do will get it to run at the native 1360x768, so I have given up
and am running it at 1280x720 through component. Really frustrating.
For some reason, LG restricts the supported resolution for being driven
by a PC to, ack, 1024x768, which looks TERRIBLE.

I've switched to Samsung at the high-end and Vizio at the low-end and
they work flawlessly out of the box (Everything from a 32" LCD to a 63
Plasma")

Old April 30th 07, 04:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rich

1440x900 not supported according to:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...38/en/spec.htm

Rich

Old April 30th 07, 05:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Levine

Rich wrote:

1440x900 not supported according to:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...38/en/spec.htm

Rich

Thanks, but that really sucks. 1440x900 is a standard for 19" widescreen
displays.

Back to the drawing board.

Bob
Old April 30th 07, 05:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Old April 30th 07, 05:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Levine

Tom Scales wrote:

I don't believe it. Like I said, try creating a custom INF file with
1440x900 using Powerstrip. Bet it will work.

Can't hurt to try...I had never heard of it, but I see it on
download.com. Free to try so what the hell.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks,

Bob

Old April 30th 07, 05:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Posted At: Monday, April 30, 2007 12:42 PM

Tom Scales wrote:

I don't believe it. Like I said, try creating a custom INF file with
1440x900 using Powerstrip. Bet it will work.

Can't hurt to try...I had never heard of it, but I see it on
download.com. Free to try so what the hell.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks,

Bob

One thing to know, but isn't clear. Once you create the monitor.inf,
you do NOT have to keep Powerstrip running. It will install itself to
startup.

Old April 30th 07, 06:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brad

I just purchased a Samsung 225bw monitor and had similar problem trying
to get my 6800 nvidia card to recognize its native resolution of
1680X1050. I had to force it to use a customize setting, Im using the
latest driver from Nvidia.
Here's a link that will help explain the procedure, read through to the
bottom.
http://www.dellcommunity.com/support....id=6330#M6330

Old April 30th 07, 08:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Bob Levine" wrote in message
Rich wrote:

1440x900 not supported according to:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...38/en/spec.htm

Rich

Thanks, but that really sucks. 1440x900 is a standard for 19" widescreen
displays.

Back to the drawing board.

Bob

Don't feel bad. My Radeon 850 Pro doesn't support it either. In fact, I'm
looking for a 19" LCD that will work with it.....

Old May 1st 07, 01:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Levine

So far, no joy. I actually got it to add 1440x900 but when I used the
setting it just stretched the image out of the monitor's viewable areas.

I'm getting the impression that this just can't be done.

Bob