7600gs AGP rubbish!

Old January 8th 07, 12:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Glenis

Default 7600gs AGP rubbish!

Last year I purchased a 3D Club 7600gs AGP card.
When I installed it using the supplied driver I got the "...card is not
receiving sufficient power and therefore to prevent damage it's
functionality has been reduced..." error – not once but (yes! I counted
them) 154 times at boot up.
I had a look on the Net and discovered that this particular card is
rather power-hungry. Although my PSU was rated at 400W which, according
to the card’s manufacturers’ spec, was sufficient, I decided to purchase
a new PSU (Enermax ELT500AWT)in an attempt to overcome the problem.
Unfortunately, the problem remained – same error message 150+ times!
I then discovered that a new driver (91.33) had been released
specifically for this problem.
I duly uninstalled the original driver (in Safe Mode) and installed the
new one.
It made no difference at all – still the exact same problem.
After uninstalling and re-installing the new driver numerous times and
checking that my PSU wasn’t at fault I contacted 3d Club’s Tech Support
who told me to refer the Support section on their website.
A new article had been posted there that suggested that I should
‘increase the Front Side Bus (FSB) speed of my mainboard to 1 or 2 MHz
and download and install yet another newer driver (91.47).
Unfortunately, my motherboard doesn’t allow me to adjust the FSB but I
installed the new driver anyway.
Still no joy – same problem. Furthermore, I noticed that in the 7600GS
Properties there was a choice of using either the ‘Classic Nvidia
Control Panel’ or the ‘New Nvidia Control Panel (Recommended)’
Trouble was that when I attempted to use the New one it threw me out of
properties and didn’t work!
Later again, another new driver was released (93.71) which made no
difference at all.
Once again I contacted 3d Club’s Tech Support who suggested that I
re-install Windows!!!
I replied saying ‘You can’t be serious!?! That’s like replacing my car
engine because the Oil Light doesn’t work!!!’. But I received no reply.
A few weeks later a new Support message appeared on 3D Club’s site saying:
‘If FSB and other tweakings are not helping you can modify the windows
registry.
Unpack the file and run it from any location. This will de-activate the
message and your card will continue to run normally, without reduced
clockspeeds’.
So, like a lamb to the slaughter, I downloaded and applied the Registry fix.
This got rid of the original error message but now at boot up I get
another one at Log on stating:
‘Error loading NVCPL.DLL’ and the PC then crashes!!! The PC starts on a
second attempt but the Event Viewer is full of ‘Event ID: 14. Unknown
error on NV’.
Back to 3d Club’s Tech Support site. Apparently they have now produced a
BIOS update.
Unfortunately, my PC does not have a legacy Floppy Disk drive so I am
therefore unable to apply the BIOS update.
I am unwilling to buy and fit a Floppy drive since by now, as you can
imagine, I have no faith in 3D Club, Nvidia or their Tech Support and
graphics cards.
Your suggestions/solutions for the NVCPL.DLL problem would be most
welcome as would your opinions on the above as I am now very tempted to
insist on a refund or replacement card and possibly charge 3D
Club/Nvidia for my time.

Productname : 3D Club 7600gs AGP
Memory size : 256MB
Driver : 93.71
Mainboard : Asus A7V8X-X
CPU and speed : AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2200+
System memory : 512MB
Power supply : Enermax ELT500AWT
Operating system : Windows XP (SP2)
Old January 8th 07, 12:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DRS

"Glenis" wrote in message

Last year I purchased a 3D Club 7600gs AGP card.
When I installed it using the supplied driver I got the "...card is
not receiving sufficient power and therefore to prevent damage it's
functionality has been reduced..." error – not once but (yes! I
counted them) 154 times at boot up.
I had a look on the Net and discovered that this particular card is
rather power-hungry.

No, it isn't. It's just that unlike the 7600GS Pcie, which draws all its
power from the bus, the 7600GS AGP requires a power connector from the PSU
to supplement the power it can draw from the AGP bus. It's that simple.

Old January 8th 07, 01:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Glenis" wrote in message ...
[...]

No, I can't imagine. Millions of people have installed 7600GS
cards without any problem. So you either have a borked
individual card, a borked Windows installation or maybe even
both. But in the meantime:

1. Have you checked for motherboard bios updates?
2. Have you checked your system bios to see if there's a
setting to increase AGP voltage?
2a. Also check your AGP aperture size.
3. Is the video card's power cable faulty?

If nothing else helps, a fresh reformat and install of XP
might very well fix your problem. Also, you should be able
to install bios upgrades for both your card and motherboard
via CDROM, if you have a CD burner.

Old January 8th 07, 07:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Glenis wrote:

When I installed it using the supplied driver I got the "...card is not
receiving sufficient power and therefore to prevent damage it's
functionality has been reduced..." error – not once but (yes! I counted
them) 154 times at boot up.

I would have gotten the hint at 150 error messages. Was there something
special about number 154?

I understand your frustration, and I'll assume there isn't a molex
connector on the card that you use to supply additional power to it, so
that leaves your slot as being suspect.

Please do not tell me you booted the machine 154 times....instead you
booted and the error message just kept spawning.....

Old January 8th 07, 08:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Glenis

wrote:

No, I can't imagine. Millions of people have installed 7600GS
cards without any problem. So you either have a borked
individual card, a borked Windows installation or maybe even
both. But in the meantime:

1. Have you checked for motherboard bios updates?
2. Have you checked your system bios to see if there's a
setting to increase AGP voltage?
2a. Also check your AGP aperture size.
3. Is the video card's power cable faulty?

If nothing else helps, a fresh reformat and install of XP
might very well fix your problem. Also, you should be able
to install bios upgrades for both your card and motherboard
via CDROM, if you have a CD burner.

OK. Thanks for your suggestions.
I have discovered that there is indeed a BIOS update for my Motherboard
and I've downloaded it.
I've then visited a friend and removed his Floppy drive and installed it
on my PC.
However, in attempting to create a Floppy Boot Disk there are problems.
I take a Floppy Disk and from within Explorer I select A: Floppy and
select 'Create an MS-DOS Start up Disk'. OK so far.
I then copy the new MB BIOS and the Asus Aflash utility to the Disk also.
I then reset the BIOS to boot from Floppy and it fails because there is
no Command.com present on the floppy!
Is this because my PC'S file system is NTFS whereas the Floppy Boot Disk
is FAT?

Also, you should be able
to install bios upgrades for both your card and motherboard
via CDROM, if you have a CD burner.

Is that right? How can I save the original BIOS that way?

BTW.
There's no setting in the MB BIOS to increase the AGP voltage
Aperture size is currently at 64MB. I tried changing this previously to
no avail.
AGP Performance Control is Enabled (whatever that is. Motherboard manual
doesn't specify).
Fast Write is Disabled (as advised by 3d Club)
Video Memory Cache Mode is: UC rather than USWC

Glenis
Old January 8th 07, 08:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Glenis

Mr.E Solved! wrote:
Glenis wrote:

When I installed it using the supplied driver I got the "...card is
not receiving sufficient power and therefore to prevent damage it's
functionality has been reduced..." error – not once but (yes! I
counted them) 154 times at boot up.

I would have gotten the hint at 150 error messages. Was there something
special about number 154?

I understand your frustration, and I'll assume there isn't a molex
connector on the card that you use to supply additional power to it, so
that leaves your slot as being suspect.

Please do not tell me you booted the machine 154 times....instead you
booted and the error message just kept spawning.....

I'm sorry - pure frustration on my part - I never had such problems
installing a card ever.

Yes, there is a Molex on the card which is supplied on it own cable from
the PSU. I've swapped the cables around as well, just in case.
Old January 8th 07, 08:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Glenis" wrote in message ...
wrote:

[...]

Visit
http://www.bootdisk.com/ and create a DOS 6.22 boot
floppy. Then copy the flash utility and AFLASH to it. It doesn't
matter what file system is on your hard drive, as long as Floppy
is selected as the primary boot device.

One other thought: check your motherboard manual and see if
any PCI slots share an IRQ with the AGP slot (often PCI slot 1
shares with AGP). If so, and if you currently have a PCI card
in that slot, try removing or relocating it. I don't believe this will
make a difference, but you never know. Good luck, I know
how frustrating hardware upgrades can be.

Old January 8th 07, 09:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Glenis

wrote:

Visit
http://www.bootdisk.com/ and create a DOS 6.22 boot
floppy. Then copy the flash utility and AFLASH to it. It doesn't
matter what file system is on your hard drive, as long as Floppy
is selected as the primary boot device.

One other thought: check your motherboard manual and see if
any PCI slots share an IRQ with the AGP slot (often PCI slot 1
shares with AGP). If so, and if you currently have a PCI card
in that slot, try removing or relocating it. I don't believe this will
make a difference, but you never know. Good luck, I know
how frustrating hardware upgrades can be.

OK. Give me a little while to accomplish that.

Here's a thing - don't know if it's relevent. This latest error:
Error loading NVCPL.DLL always crashes the PC on the first boot from
cold. Subsequent boots are OK. Then, the following morning it'll crash
again. However, I been restarting this PC dozens of time this afternoon
and it hasn't displayed that error.
Tomorrow morning it will.
This means that any alterations I make now won't have an effect or
otherwise until tomorrow.
BTW
I just did a total shutdown (disconnected from power) for 5 minutes.
It didn't crash or error but the Event Viewer shows the following:

Application Popup. Event ID 26. Machine Check

followed by:

Application Popup. Event ID 26. Machine Check Regs

and then both the same again

Could this be a clue:

The manual appears to imply that the AGP socket is shared with PCI slots
2 & 6. Presently the only PCI card I'm using is in Slot 3
Old January 8th 07, 10:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Glenis

I'm rapidly losing faith in this whole enterprise.
First off, the DOS 6.22 Floppy Boot Disk I created didn't have enough
space to include the MB BIOS update or the Asus AFlash utility.
So I had to delete a number of extraneous files off it.
Then, after booting to DOS and running Aflash I found there was no space
to back up the current MB BIOS and C: Drive was 'not accessible'.
So I then had to delete yet more files from the Boot Floppy.
Then, the MB BIOS Flash instructions said that to update I should select
the BIOS update option that includes 'Boot Block & ESCD'. However, the
only option available was to update the MB BIOS 'excluding the Boot
Block & ESCD'.
I been back to the source and I've got the only update available.
I'm therefore not prepared to risk buggering my MB for the sake of a
faulty Graphics Card.
Furthermore, I notice that the instructions for updating the 7600GS BIOS
states that one must use a CRT Monitor rather than a DVI.
Of course, I haven't got one of those and neither has my friend who I
recently begged/borrowed a Floppy drive from.
Is this hassle what one really needs to go through just to install a new
Graphics Card?!!!

wrote:

No, I can't imagine. Millions of people have installed 7600GS
cards without any problem.

If that's the case then why are there several error references and
updates on the manufacturer's site such as:

GeForce 7600GS AGP
2006-07-25
New driver improves stability and performance.
An insufficient power message may pop-up on some systems combined

with performance loss when running 3D applications. This is solved with
the new driver 91.33. Remove the old driver from your system first
before installing the new one. If you have difficulties removing the
driver, start Windows in safe mode and remove the NVIDIA driver.
Click on the link below for the new driver.

and:

GeForce 7600GS AGP (Power Warning)
2006-09-14
On some mainboards an "Insufficient Power Warning" pops-up many

times. This can be solved by increasing the Front Side Bus (FSB) speed
of your mainboard with 1 or 2 MHz.
Boot Windows in safe mode (press F8 before windows starts booting)
Open your control panel and click on software. Remove the NVIDIA driver.
Reboot your system and access your motherboard BIOS settings.

Increase the FSB with 1 or 2 MHz. Save the changes and reboot again.
After Windows is loaded. A new hardware found message pops up. Press
cancel. Download latest drivers from
www.nvidia.com. At this moment it
is 91.47. Install this driver to your system.
The message should be gone now. We are working to a new BIOS for this
card to solve this issue.
Make sure your VGA card is connected to a free powerline from your
powersupply and that it is not connected to any other component. This
means, a VGA card needs to have a free line for its own.

and

Update 2: GeForce 7600GS AGP
2006-10-09
If FSB and other tweakings are not helping you can modify the windows
registry.
Unpack the file and run it from any location. This will de-activate
the message and your card will continue to run normally, without
reduced clockspeeds.
A new BIOS is currently under test and we hope to release it soon.

and:

Update 3: GeForce 7600GS AGP
2006-10-17
This is a BIOS update. This is for 7600GS AGP 256MB with Samsung
branded memory on the VGA card. Check your VGA card memory before

using this BIOS update.
There are two fixes available to fix the power warning issue. The
first fix and most easy to use is the registry fix. This is suitable
for most users.
For more experienced users there is a BIOS fix. Please make sure you
have a Club 3D 7600GS AGP with 256MB Samsung branded memory. This BIOS
update will fix the power warning message. There is no registry fix or
mainboard FSB tweaking required when this BIOS is installed on the VGA
card.

That doesn't sound like a problem-free card to me!
I've installed many components in PCs; I've built numerous PCs.
Never have I had so many problems that have taken so much time and
flaffing around to attempt to solve.
The GeForce 7600GS AGP IS a pain in the ****.
I realise that there are many propellerheads out there who like nothing
more than to tweak this, overclock that and Flash the other.
Me? I just wanna a working machine that I can do work on!

Thank you all for your time and suggestions but unless someone can come
up with a quick and easy solution then this card is going back for a refund.
I apologize if you think I'm being a little arsey about this but really!
This is just not on. It's a shoddy product and should never have been
put on sale to the general public in this faulty condition.

Once again, thank you all for your time and help.
I will post here later to let you know the outcome.

Regards

Glenis

Old January 8th 07, 10:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Glenis" wrote in message ...
wrote:

[...]

When you get the NVCPL.DLL error, does it also say
"A device attached to the system is not working"? If so, go
to Add/Remove Programs and add Windows Accessibility
to the list.

As for the ID 26 errors, this has been reported as an issue
with AMD systems with VIA and Apollo chipsets. You can
either turn off this hardware error checking (Start/Run/regedit,
navigate to:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\
EnableMCA and change the DWORD from 1 to 0. Reboot.

Or, a better option is, check to see if the "WMDM PMSP"
service is installed on your system. If so, uninstall it. This
service is copy protection from Microsoft that was installed
with Media Player 7, and the service is not uninstalled (as it
should be) under XP and later versions of WMP.