Just curious...

Old March 7th 04, 01:34 AM
Augustus

Default Just curious...

Most people here seem to have great success o/c the Barton 2500....I'm just
wondering how many of you out there have had Bartons that just won't allow
themselves to be pushed far even with a good m/b, RAM, all the tweaks, upped
voltages, and extra cooling applied. Mine seems to be one those....I've not
been able stably get beyond 2080 MHz /189 FSB. Still, this is 2800+ levels,
so I'm still happy, but I'm just curious how many CPU's you've run across
that won't take it.

Old March 7th 04, 02:15 AM
Fishface

Augustus wrote:
I've not been able stably get beyond 2080 MHz /189 FSB.

You don't specify details of your system, but are you sure it's
the CPU? My first nForce2 board was a Shuttle AN35N
Ultra. I bought Corsair PC3500 memory because the generic
stuff wouldn't run at 200MHz FSB. When the Corsair
wouldn't run dual channel above 183, I knew it was the board.
By running single channel, I was able to run at 203 MHz FSB.

Old March 7th 04, 02:26 AM
Augustus

My m/b is a Soltek 75FRN2 Nforce 2 dual channel with one 512Mb Samsung
PC3200 DIMM running in single channel mode.

Old March 7th 04, 03:10 AM
CiRcUiT

"Fishface" ? wrote in message
| Augustus wrote:
| I've not been able stably get beyond 2080 MHz /189 FSB.
|
| You don't specify details of your system, but are you sure
it's
| the CPU? My first nForce2 board was a Shuttle AN35N
| Ultra. I bought Corsair PC3500 memory because the generic
| stuff wouldn't run at 200MHz FSB. When the Corsair
| wouldn't run dual channel above 183, I knew it was the
board.
| By running single channel, I was able to run at 203 MHz
FSB.

Yeah, I just found out that my 2500+ that I used to OC to
200x11 (vcore set to 1.7 reported as 1.68v by MBM5) with no
problems (would not do dual channel though) will not do that
anymore. For the longest time I had mine stable at 191x11
but it won't even do that anymore. I think I screwed my BIOS
when I flashed a picture to it the last time. (Aopen Vivid
BIOS)

I reflashed my BIOS and tried dual channel, it worked at
166x11 & memory at 166MHz (2.5-7-3-3). Now I can't overclock
at all with the memory in dual channel. I haven't had the
time yet to take it out of dual channel and try to OC back
to the way I had it before.

I think what I'm eventually trying to get at is that not all
memory will clock at their rated speeds. The first thing I'm
upgrading in my system is my 2x512MB PC3200's for some good
memory. These generic sticks I bought (the brand is Elixer)
are the worst memory I've ever bought and will NEVER buy
them again.

System specs: http://www.jcodling.com/system.htm
--
ttyl,

CiRcUiT -=- J. Codling -=- www.jcodling.com

*This message represents the official opinions of the voices
in my head*

Old March 7th 04, 03:23 AM
Frank Hagan

"My first nForce2 board was a Shuttle AN35N
Ultra. I bought Corsair PC3500 memory because the generic
stuff wouldn't run at 200MHz FSB. When the Corsair
wouldn't run dual channel above 183, I knew it was the board.
By running single channel, I was able to run at 203 MHz FSB."

Barton 2500 at 1.725v and 2x512 Kingston PC3500 HyperX at 2.6v (slots 2 and
3) FSB220x10. I found that using slots 2 and 3 worked better than 1 and 3
for dual channel. I have no idea why.

FRH

Old March 7th 04, 03:31 AM
HSV Guy

Yes i too have had the same problem,

mine can go to 2.24 but crashes after few minutes running prime 95. Also
temps get a bit too high for my likeing around the 65 degree C mark.

Scaled it back to 2.1 and seems to run ok, but still temps are around the 57
mark.

a friend of mine has same as me and has his at 2.25 and running at 55, he
has better cooling setup than me.

cheers

Old March 7th 04, 04:25 AM
Fishface

Frank Hagan wrote:
Barton 2500 at 1.725v and 2x512 Kingston PC3500
HyperX at 2.6v (slots 2 and 3) FSB220x10. I found
that using slots 2 and 3 worked better than 1 and 3
for dual channel. I have no idea why.

I guess that I should have specified that this was with
"CPU Interface" set to "Aggressive" because doing
otherwise reduced the memory bandwidth to squat.
It's been a while, I'm getting a little fuzzy on the details.

Old March 7th 04, 04:29 AM
Frank Hagan

"Fishface" ? wrote in message
Frank Hagan wrote:
Barton 2500 at 1.725v and 2x512 Kingston PC3500
HyperX at 2.6v (slots 2 and 3) FSB220x10. I found
that using slots 2 and 3 worked better than 1 and 3
for dual channel. I have no idea why.

I guess that I should have specified that this was with
"CPU Interface" set to "Aggressive" because doing
otherwise reduced the memory bandwidth to squat.
It's been a while, I'm getting a little fuzzy on the details.

Using CPU set to "Agressive". For a while I was running at 1.7v using CPU
"Optimal", but for an increase of .25v, what the heck. Less than 1C
increase.

FRH

Old March 7th 04, 04:59 AM
Fishface

Frank Hagan wrote:
Using CPU set to "Agressive". For a while I was running
at 1.7v using CPU "Optimal", but for an increase of .25v,
what the heck. Less than 1C increase.

Good deal, Frank. It seems you are very lucky with this
stuff. If I send my board to you, can you bless it? Why,
you could probably do it from a distance. Probably some
stupid little thing is slightly out of spec...

Old March 7th 04, 05:41 AM
Frank Hagan

"Fishface" ? wrote in message
Frank Hagan wrote:
Using CPU set to "Agressive". For a while I was running
at 1.7v using CPU "Optimal", but for an increase of .25v,
what the heck. Less than 1C increase.

Good deal, Frank. It seems you are very lucky with this
stuff. If I send my board to you, can you bless it? Why,
you could probably do it from a distance. Probably some
stupid little thing is slightly out of spec...

I just ordered my third from NewEgg. They were selling factory re-furbs for
$41 delivered. Had a bunch of parts laying around and my 11 year old is
going to get his own computer ;-) Got an unlocked (0304) XP2100 off eBay to
go in it for $55. All I actually need now is a cheap modem, a floppy and a
case (have Antec350 Smart Power).

FRH