Resurecting a ProLiant 3000?

Old September 11th 06, 05:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

Default Resurecting a ProLiant 3000?

***** charles wrote:
Hey guys, thanks for all the insight.
The group has no money for changes and the computer was donated.
I did download the SmartStart iso and I think it was version 5.5 and
it didn't do anything to the machine, no updates. After it finished
booting, it went to a prompt like Proliant..205....# which I later
figured out was a Linux prompt. Never could figure out what to do
after that. It took 180 seconds to go from "Do not Reboot" to the
command prompt. Never saw a gui.

Even with SCSI hardware problems, you should still be able to boot to
the SS5.5 cd and eventually get a gui. It is kind-of critical that you
get to this point...especially considering the extra PCI cards that you
installed. If you cannot safely run the Hardware Configuration Utility,
the system will never know that you have extra cards, and that you wish
to run Linux. Indeed, since you did a successful system "wipe" the
second processor itself may not be enabled unless you run the
HCU...making the dream of an smp kernel an impossibility.

You have to get this CD working. Please follow the earlier advise,
which I will repeat again: (note: this is REALLY important) After
downloading the SmartStart 5.5 ISO image, you MUST BE SURE to burn your
new disk at the SLOWEST POSSIBLE BURN SPEED!!! We don't know WHY this
is so, we just know that it damn well is. My cd-burner/software will
allow me to decrease the burn speed to 4x (42x is the default). A disk
I burn at this speed will boot properly, but one that I burn at 12x
will not. I was so fascinated, by this phenomenon that I once wasted a
dozen blanks in burning experiments. It is simply a fact of Compaq
life.

Jeffrey Alsip

Old September 11th 06, 07:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

You have to get this CD working. Please follow the earlier advise,
which I will repeat again: (note: this is REALLY important) After
downloading the SmartStart 5.5 ISO image, you MUST BE SURE to burn your
new disk at the SLOWEST POSSIBLE BURN SPEED!!! We don't know WHY this
is so, we just know that it damn well is. My cd-burner/software will
allow me to decrease the burn speed to 4x (42x is the default). A disk
I burn at this speed will boot properly, but one that I burn at 12x
will not. I was so fascinated, by this phenomenon that I once wasted a
dozen blanks in burning experiments. It is simply a fact of Compaq
life.

Jeffrey Alsip

might be a wonky CD drive ... you never know.

Old September 12th 06, 02:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
***** charles

"Nut Cracker" wrote in message
t...

You have to get this CD working. Please follow the earlier advise,
which I will repeat again: (note: this is REALLY important) After
downloading the SmartStart 5.5 ISO image, you MUST BE SURE to burn your
new disk at the SLOWEST POSSIBLE BURN SPEED!!! We don't know WHY this
is so, we just know that it damn well is. My cd-burner/software will
allow me to decrease the burn speed to 4x (42x is the default). A disk
I burn at this speed will boot properly, but one that I burn at 12x
will not. I was so fascinated, by this phenomenon that I once wasted a
dozen blanks in burning experiments. It is simply a fact of Compaq
life.

Jeffrey Alsip

might be a wonky CD drive ... you never know.

I am sure that the 5.5 cd's were burned at the fastest speed.
That is sure weird about the speed part. I will burn one at
the slowest speed the software will allow. That won't be
until tomorrow. I think once I get to the gui, I'll be ok.
If I have any more problems/questions, I'll be back.

One thing, if I have an additional scsi cable and split the
hard drives 3 on primary and 2 on secondary, will the
machine run any better or system on one channel and
shares/samba on the other channel?

thanks,
charles.....

Old September 12th 06, 06:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

***** charles wrote:
I am sure that the 5.5 cd's were burned at the fastest speed.
That is sure weird about the speed part. I will burn one at
the slowest speed the software will allow.

Yeah, it IS weird, but true.

One thing, if I have an additional scsi cable and split the
hard drives 3 on primary and 2 on secondary, will the
machine run any better or system on one channel and
shares/samba on the other channel?

You have two drive bays, an upper and a lower. You can, possibly
connect the upper bay to one onboard port and the lower bay to the
other one. In order to do this, you will need a "Duplex
Adapter"...which is a small board (about 1x4 inches) that attaches to
the back of the drives tray (you have to pull it all the way out of the
machine to see it). I am pretty sure that the 3000 shipped stock with a
"Simplex Adapter" which effectively makes the two drive bays act like
one big one. Pull out the drive tray and look at this little green
board on the back of it...it will clearly say Duplex or Simplex. Let us
know which one you have and we will give you your options.

I would like to urge you again, however, to get yourself a Smart Array
Controller card. I know you do not wish to spend any money, but one of
these could probably be gotten for $5. It will be an incredible upgrade
at that price.

Jeffrey Alsip

Old September 12th 06, 07:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
***** charles

snip

get yourself a Smart Array Controller card.
Jeffrey Alsip

Will it work with the current setup?
Is it a Compaq product?
Wouldn't the shipping be more than the card?
Would the card need different cables?
Does it need special setup software?
Is it "drop in and use"?

thanks,
charles......

Old September 12th 06, 07:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"***** charles" wrote in message
.. .
snip

get yourself a Smart Array Controller card.
Jeffrey Alsip

Will it work with the current setup?
Is it a Compaq product?
Wouldn't the shipping be more than the card?
Would the card need different cables?
Does it need special setup software?
Is it "drop in and use"?

thanks,
charles......

Yes
Yes
Probably
No
Not Really
Pretty Much

Old September 12th 06, 11:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

Nut Cracker wrote:
Yes
Yes
Probably
No
Not Really
Pretty Much

Yeah...what he said.

Old September 12th 06, 11:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
oups.com...

Nut Cracker wrote:
Yes
Yes
Probably
No
Not Really
Pretty Much

Yeah...what he said.

the only 'special' thing you will need is the ACU (Array Configuration
Utility) ... which is on the smartstart CD.

Also, run the SCU (System Configuration Utility) after you add the array
controller for proper server resource allocation.

- LC

Old September 13th 06, 12:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

Nut Cracker wrote:
the only 'special' thing you will need is the ACU (Array Configuration
Utility) ... which is on the smartstart CD.

Also, run the SCU (System Configuration Utility) after you add the array
controller for proper server resource allocation.

- LC

Also, there really is a lot of acreage inside of a 3000. It might be
possible that a longer 68pin cable will be needed. Luckily, the chances
are good that if you pull out the drive cage you will find a longer
cable with an active terminator tucked neatly against the side of the
case.

LC, I have never been real sure about this: Should the Array card be
placed in slot one? Remember that this is the PII model 3000...I think
the rules are different.

Jeffrey Alsip

Old September 13th 06, 01:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote
I have never been real sure about this: Should the Array card be
placed in slot one?

It doesn't matter. The only cards that are slot sensitive are the Remote
Insight Boards.