Forceware 91.31 has adware in it

Old June 26th 06, 02:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Forceware 91.31 has adware in it

In article , Marni
says...
Its a Beta driver.

Not anymore. It's on their main download page as WHQL.

--
Conor

Who the **** said I was trying to endear myself to anyone?
Old June 26th 06, 08:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 00:22:55 +0200, "Marni" wrote:

Its a Beta driver.

Where have you been for the last 3 days. It's an official
release now.
Old June 26th 06, 08:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 02:23:44 +0200, "Corvus" wrote:

"Marni" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Its a Beta driver.

"Larry Roberts" wrote in message
The new drivers have adware coded into them. When you try, and
disable the tray icon from within the driver control panel, it popsup
again at reboot with a message that one of your SLI cards was
disabled, even though you have only one card, or an AGP card. The
message ask you to click the bubble fr more info, which then brings
you to Nvidia's SLI website. This is nothing more than an
advertisement to get you to buy SLI. If you try, and disable it from
MSCONFIG, it reinstalls itself. Malware. The ATI products are now
looking better because of this.

This is a quite obvious bug and i noticed it in the inofficial 91.31, and
thought it´ll be removed in an official driver- D´OH!
I´ve scanned the registry and found no way to disable this.Thought it´s
because i have an ASrock 939dual with fully implemented AGP and PCIe, so
which mobos do you guys own?

I'm using an FIC AN19c (VIA KT400). AGP only.
Old June 26th 06, 08:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 13:09:11 +1000, "DC" dragoncarer@byanyothername
wrote:

Yes, I wouldn't say this is so much malware/adware as just a bug.
At the risk of repeating myself and peeving everyone off, I just answered
g0pher, who has much the same concern.

On page 8 of the release notes for 91.31, it lists the problem as still
being an 'open issue'.
http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/9...Notes_WHQL.pdf

That's cool, but it seems suspicious as the message takes you
to the SLI website as if it's advertising SLI. If it was to just show
you one of the cards in an SLI rig as being dsabled, it should just
bring you to the SLI portion of the control panal to enable the other,
or allow you to disable the notification all together.
Old June 27th 06, 12:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

wrote:

Yes, I wouldn't say this is so much malware/adware as just a bug.
At the risk of repeating myself and peeving everyone off, I just answered
g0pher, who has much the same concern.

On page 8 of the release notes for 91.31, it lists the problem as still
being an 'open issue'.
http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/9...Notes_WHQL.pdf

That's cool, but it seems suspicious as the message takes you
to the SLI website as if it's advertising SLI. If it was to just show
you one of the cards in an SLI rig as being dsabled, it should just
bring you to the SLI portion of the control panal to enable the other,
or allow you to disable the notification all together.

The message has always done that (taken you to the website)...but yeah, I
can see what you mean about it being a bit sus.
Oh well, I guess this 'age' will go down as the age of mass-marketing and
product placement

I can't wait to see how many ads are in Superman.

Old July 2nd 06, 09:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
McGrandpa

I have the 91.31 64 bit set installed. I also have a pair of 7800GTX's in
SLI. I keep SLI disabled for dual monitors. Not having any of those
problems mentioned.
McG.

"First of One" wrote in message
Some developer at nVidia probably got "too helpful" in making sure users
who
have two cards installed don't accidentally leave SLI disabled.

Does this "feature" appear as a startup service in services.msc? Can you
disable it from there or set it to manual startup?

What if you just set the nVidia system tray icon to "always hide" in
taskbar properties?
ATi goes the other extreme. Crossfire is turned off by default under all
circumstances, with no notification, unless you manually enable it in the
control center. A new user who just spent $1500 on a Crossfire setup could
end up running in single-card mode for years without a clue...

Old July 3rd 06, 06:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/n...hp?p_faqid=760

nVidia has been aware of this problem for five months before the release of
the 91.31 drivers. It was probably an isolated bug in the XP 32-bit driver
set, no more.