Newbie to Overclocking - Advice please on a XP2000 and a7v333 Mobo?

Old November 11th 03, 03:55 PM
Harry

Default Newbie to Overclocking - Advice please on a XP2000 and a7v333 Mobo?

I have a XP2000+ Thoroughbred B core CPU nd a Asus A7V333-X mobo.
I also have PC2700 DDR (333) ram.

As I understand it the actual Mhz on this CPU is 266.
If I up it, will I notice a big improvement in performance?

If so, how do I go about doing the overclock?

FYI
As I understand it the FSB * Multiplier = CPU Speed
So on my XP2000 it would be 133 * 12.5 = 1667

Do I up the FSB or the multiplier

cheers

Harry
Old November 11th 03, 04:04 PM
Kacza

*Harry* wrote in :

I have a XP2000+ Thoroughbred B core CPU nd a Asus A7V333-X mobo.
I also have PC2700 DDR (333) ram.

As I understand it the actual Mhz on this CPU is 266.
If I up it, will I notice a big improvement in performance?

If so, how do I go about doing the overclock?

FYI
As I understand it the FSB * Multiplier = CPU Speed
So on my XP2000 it would be 133 * 12.5 = 1667

Do I up the FSB or the multiplier

try to speed up your FSB... I think 166 should be ok.
If you ram is 333 it should work in synchronous mode.
My Athlon 2500+ is 11*166 so you'll get even more than this

Good luck

--
Pozdr,
znowu Kacza
Old November 11th 03, 06:28 PM
Hippy Paul

I would say both but 166mhz x 12.5 should work (and maybe up to a max of
about 180Mhz but you might have to increase the vcore a bit to get the cpu
to run stable - I used to run my A core 1800+ in my a7v333 at 166fsb and a
bit beyond.
But 12.5 x 166 limits you to 2075mhz even 172 x 12.5 is only 2150mhz - the B
core might go to 2400mhz so I would suggest looking into accessing the
higher multipliers a tried and tested way is the pin mod guide at

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/ht...md_pinmod.html

14 x 167 seems to work for me @ 2340mhz and 1.85v vcore

Old November 11th 03, 08:08 PM
Lee

yeah try bumping your fsb straight to 166 your ram pc2700 is rated at this
just depends if your processor core will handle the speed increase.

:
:As I understand it the actual Mhz on this CPU is 266.
:If I up it, will I notice a big improvement in performance?
:
:If so, how do I go about doing the overclock?
:
:FYI
:As I understand it the FSB * Multiplier = CPU Speed
:So on my XP2000 it would be 133 * 12.5 = 1667
:
:Do I up the FSB or the multiplier
:
:
:cheers
:
:Harry

-----
Lee.
Old November 12th 03, 09:36 AM
Harry

Thanks for the replies guys.

If I up the FSB to 166 will I stress the PCI cards at all (eg Is the
PCI Bus increased as I up the FSB)?

thanks again

Harry

Old November 12th 03, 10:49 AM
Kacza

*Harry* wrote in news
If I up the FSB to 166 will I stress the PCI cards at all (eg Is the
PCI Bus increased as I up the FSB)?

Hopefully not 100, 133, 166, 200 should use the same PCI/AGP frequency
(33/66). On the other hand my motherboard doesn't allow me to change FSB
from 166 to 200 without changing PCI/AGP speed so I guess you have to try
it for yorself.

--
Pozdr,
znowu Kacza
Old November 13th 03, 09:45 AM
Harry

Well I got the FSB upto 159 stable, before windows crashed.

I did have it at 166 (33/66) for 5 minutes but it was far too
unstable.

Ideally I want to see if running it at 166 (in synchronous mode with
the 2700 RAM) will give me a greater performance boost.

What other things can I do to get it stable at 166? So far I have only
upped the FSB but I didnt touch the Muiltiplier or Vcore. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Harry

Old November 13th 03, 07:04 PM
Hippy Paul

The first thing I would try would be to up the vcore one stage at a time and
see if it runs stable - if it is a 'b' core it should get well over 2000MHz.

Have you tried seeing how fast the fsb will go - by using a very low
multiplier in order to check how fast you can run it.

You may try setting any memory timings to 'normal' or safe - try not using
the faster timings - or set them manually to the biggest values there are eg
3.5.5.8 and seeing if that lets it run faster, then start making the values
smaller until it is unstable

I do not think increasing the ram voltage will help - I have an A7V333 (non
X) where the ram voltage is 2.78-2.85v - so it is overvolted by default (the
undocumented jumpers J1 & J2 determine memory voltage)

a better performance boost than having the fsb at 166mhz would be having the
fsb at 166mhz and increasing the multiplier