Explain AGEIA PhysX processor please?

Old May 2nd 06, 08:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Explain AGEIA PhysX processor please?

hi all,
Explain AGEIA PhysX processor please? what is it and why new games gonna be
using it, also why do we have to spend more money along with graphics card
prices sky high.

Why can't they just put another physics processor in graphics card why
another addon card we have to buy..

Cheers

Old May 2nd 06, 11:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Chingy" schreef in bericht
hi all,
Explain AGEIA PhysX processor please? what is it and why new games gonna

be
using it, also why do we have to spend more money along with graphics card
prices sky high.

Why can't they just put another physics processor in graphics card why
another addon card we have to buy..

Cheers

Ah, so you have mixed feelings about these things too hè ;-)

What it is?
An addon purely for high speed 'physics math'.

Why new games gonne be using it?
Because calculating the movement of 10000+ rocks/boulders/swarms or other
things can/may add something to the game (if used right)

Why do we need to spend more money on such a card?
A good question.
Processors getting faster and faster, video cards seems to be able to do the
same thing, just maybe not as fast or not 'dedicated'.
And (new) games can only use it if they have specific build-in support for
it.
My guess, it will be popular for a while, but after two or three years it
might go the same path as 3dfx did (down the drain)... unless it's fully
incorperated into DirectX.

On the other hand...
10000+ rolling boulders when a rocket hits a mountain,
10000+ pieces of glass and pieces of stone when you blow up a building,
10000+ fire particles when something explodes,
hundreds of falling leaves when bumping into trees in a forest full of
trees (nice for games like URU or Oblivion),
.. and possibly all that at the same time

But as long as it gonne costs hundreds of dollars: only if I win the
lottery!
I'm waiting for the Conroe, together with a nice
gf7900-turbo-charged-triple-x-up-your-ass-gtxyz-something.
That'll cost more than enough for me.

regards,
Marcel

Old May 2nd 06, 11:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Marcel Overweel" schreef in bericht

(snip)

My guess, it will be popular for a while, but after two or three years it
might go the same path as 3dfx did (down the drain)... unless it's fully
incorperated into DirectX.

(snip)

Ok, it seems they ARE going to do just that, lol!
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31385

regards,
Marcel

Old May 8th 06, 02:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

The newly released physics card may go down in history as the first "physics
decelerator", a la S3 Virge:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2751

Old May 8th 06, 11:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Useless at the moment. Read the article at hardocp.com for Monday,the 8th.
Soon the vid card companies will be adding physics to their cards and maybe
dual cpu's can be utilized as well.