NVidia based TV-tuner cards - opinions wanted

Old February 17th 06, 02:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default NVidia based TV-tuner cards - opinions wanted

I'm currently using an ATI AIW VE (PCI) that works fairly well, but the
problem I have with it is I simply can't use any newer drivers aside
from the ones on the install CD, nor can I seem to use any newer version
of ATI's MMC software without problems of one kind or another. The
capture quality is very good, but I can't use an AGP card for multihead
display while the ATI card is installed. I'm thinking of sticking the
ATI card in some old cheap system, and just making it a dedicated
PVR/video server only that I can remote desktop into for viewing
(assuming it'll work with remote desktop).

I'm thinking of looking into one of the NVidia based Personal Cinema
cards as an alternative, but thought I'd check and see what any other
users of these cards think of them. Do the Personal Cinema cards
support dragging the TV window to another display on another video card,
or are there any personal cinema cards available that also offer
dual-head display and a TV tuner function similar to ATI's 9600 AIW?

Right now, I'm leaning towards a separate TV-tuner (Hauppauge WinTV
500MCE), but I thought I check out the NVidia offerings first.

-Rick
Old February 19th 06, 01:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Flint wrote:

I'm currently using an ATI AIW VE (PCI) that works fairly well, but
the problem I have with it is I simply can't use any newer drivers
aside from the ones on the install CD, nor can I seem to use any
newer version of ATI's MMC software without problems of one kind or
another. The capture quality is very good, but I can't use an AGP
card for multihead display while the ATI card is installed. I'm
thinking of sticking the ATI card in some old cheap system, and just
making it a dedicated PVR/video server only that I can remote desktop
into for viewing (assuming it'll work with remote desktop).

I have no experience of the Nvidia offerings, but having had an ATI AIW8500
and AIW9800 I've sworn never to buy a combined card again. Major driver
issues aside, getting tied into a one-card upgrade path was an expensive
mistake.

--

/mel/

np: silence