Problems with 81.xx drivers and AMD x2 cpu

Old January 22nd 06, 06:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Problems with 81.xx drivers and AMD x2 cpu

Hi People,

I've just built a new pc as below:
Shuttle SN25P barebones,
2 Gb Ram
AMD 4400+ x2 CPU
Asus 7800GT
Seagate 300Gb Barracuda HDD
NEC DVD Burner
XP Home

Which should rattle along nicely. But I can't get HL2 to run at all without
crashing, and BF2 has graphic issues on occasion.
I read in a forum that some people had suspected the newer 81.xx nvdia
drivers may be to blame (in conjunction with the dual core processor) and
had found reverting back to 78.xx had help solve the problems.
Has anyone had any experience with with dualies and nvidea cards playing up
or working ok. Can I ask what drivers you are using?
I can see a format and rebuild in my future but that takes hours, so I'd
like to have all the solutions before I do it.

Thanks,

J.

Old January 22nd 06, 06:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Hi there,

Yes there have been some problems with later nVidia drivers and dual
cores. My problems were to do with OpenGl performance hitting the CPUs.
I believe (somebody correct me if I am wrong) that most issues are
sorted out the later or beta drivers - I am running 82.12 (beta I think)
and all seems well so far - only did the change from 78.x drivers yesterday.

Regards
Steve

Old January 22nd 06, 11:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

I had problems with 83.10 beta drivers and BF2 and also the 81.95? drivers
on BF2. I installed the WHQL 82.12 drivers and haven't had a problem since.
Damned if I know why??

Old January 23rd 06, 12:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Jester" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, the 8x.xx nvidia drivers have some issues with dual core cpu's, any
flavor. I've found that a 'beta' set of 83.10 that are for a different
brand of card than mine work pretty well, not perfect, but well enough.
Other than that, I'd go back to 77.77 drivers.
The biggest problem I had was Paint Shop Pro 9 and X would not run with the
earlier 8x.xx drivers and hardware acceleration enabled. I didn't get far
enough with those drivers to see if they were a problem with my games. If I
can't run PSP 9 and X, I have to fix it about instantly.
McG.