So Nvidia has cancelled production of ALL AGP cards except the 6800Gs?

Old December 25th 05, 02:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default So Nvidia has cancelled production of ALL AGP cards except the 6800Gs?

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 20:35:49 +0100, Benjamin Gawert
wrote:

oldwolf schrieb:

Why do you say that?? My amd 3200 wont fit in a s939 board,

You have an Athlon XP?

and Im not
throwing away 2gig of ram just to upgrade the vid card.
I can play fear, and cod2, and others, quite nicely at the moment, with a
6600gt. got no problems with fps, or stuttering, or any thing else.
Sure I would like to go up to a supercard, but I aint ditching everything.
(for a start the missus would kill me. ;-) )

Well, a 6800GT/Ultra AGP is probably the maximum that is useful with an
Athlon XP that has several performance bottlenecks. A 7800GTX would be
wasted...

That's a good example for what I said: it's not really a problem that
new cards are PCIe. For your system an ATI X800 or Nvidia Geforce
6800GT/Ultra would be more than enough. Everything higher would require
a faster computer to be useful...

Benjamin

What if I already had a 6800GT, and didn't want to move up to
a 7800GT/GTX just yet, but did want a new Athlon64, or FX CPU. There
are a good many Socket 939 boards with AGP.
Old December 25th 05, 05:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

If this were several months ago, a S939 AGP mobo made sense. I replaced my
AthlonXP 1600+ with an A64 3200+ and actually noticed doubled framerates in
Doom 3, while keeping the Radeon 9800Pro.

Now is not a good time to "want" a S939 mobo, with Socket M2 coming in a
month or so (and probably *requiring* DDR2). nVidia timed the
discontinuation of the 6800GT/Ultra GPUs correctly. By the time most of the
existing inventory is exhausted, few people would spend $300 on an AGP card.

And once Socket M2 gains a foothold, DDR1 DIMM prices will rise due to
reduced production. Spot pricing for DDR2 chips today are already lower than
DDR1 chips, thanks to Intel's market dominance. One fewer reason to keep a
"legacy" system up-to-date.

Old December 25th 05, 05:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

I think Intel users face a more expensive upgrade, since PCIe support is
tied-in with LGA775 CPU package and DDR2 memory.

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
Why should you trash the whole computer? Simply get a new mainboard
instead...

Benjamin

Old December 25th 05, 08:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Maybe it is 70% of retail sales?

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
tod schrieb:

Currently 70% of the graphics card sold are AGP.
So AGP is still a money maker for NVIDIA and ATI.

Thats BS. Over 80% of sales ATI and Nvidia make comes from system
builders, and these are using PCIe only for over a year now.

Benjamin

Old December 25th 05, 09:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 23:08:47 -0500, "First of One"
wrote:

If this were several months ago, a S939 AGP mobo made sense. I replaced my
AthlonXP 1600+ with an A64 3200+ and actually noticed doubled framerates in
Doom 3, while keeping the Radeon 9800Pro.

Now is not a good time to "want" a S939 mobo, with

an affordable

Socket M2 coming in a
month

.... 6-9 months

or so (and probably

... definitely

*requiring* DDR2). nVidia timed the
discontinuation of the 6800GT/Ultra GPUs correctly. By the time most of the
existing inventory is exhausted, few people would spend $300 on an AGP card.

John Lewis

And once Socket M2 gains a foothold, DDR1 DIMM prices will rise due to
reduced production. Spot pricing for DDR2 chips today are already lower than
DDR1 chips, thanks to Intel's market dominance. One fewer reason to keep a
"legacy" system up-to-date.

.. .

Old December 25th 05, 09:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

The bottom line is, ATI's financial bottom line has been in the
****ter ever since they started eliminating AGP models. So
system builders certainly do not account for a majority of
total card sales.

Old December 25th 05, 09:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 08:03:37 GMT, "Glen" wrote:

The bottom line is, ATI's financial bottom line has been in the
****ter ever since they started eliminating AGP models. So
system builders certainly do not account for a majority of
total card sales.

You haven't bothered to read any of their financial statements
recently have you.
Old December 25th 05, 09:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

tod schrieb:

Maybe it is 70% of retail sales?

Retail sales are just a very small pecentage, despite what some poeple
here are dreaming. The bulk of money in the gfx card does _not_ come
from retail sales but from sales to system integrators (builders)...

You can ignore it, or you can accept it, it doesn't matter. But fact is
AGP _is_dead_. Neither ATI nor Nvidia give a **** about it any more. If
it were still such a huge market as some of you are dreaming, then
wouldn't you imagine they still would serve that market?

Just read the annual financial reports from ATI and Nvidia....

Benjamin
Old December 25th 05, 09:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Larry Roberts schrieb:

What if I already had a 6800GT, and didn't want to move up to
a 7800GT/GTX just yet, but did want a new Athlon64, or FX CPU. There
are a good many Socket 939 boards with AGP.

If you had a 6800GT AGP, and want upgrade to A64, then buying a S939 AGP
board would just be plain stupid. The better way would be to sell the
6800GT AGP (you get a helluva money for them now that AGP has deceased!)
and get a PCIe gfx card, most probably the money you get for the AGP
card would be enough to get a 6800GT/U PCIe...

Benjamin
Old December 25th 05, 09:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

First of One schrieb:

I think Intel users face a more expensive upgrade, since PCIe support
is tied-in with LGA775 CPU package and DDR2 memory.

Glen wrote about a 3.8GHz P4 which is LGA775 already (there are no
3.8GHz CPUs for SOcket 478). And there are PCIe boards that use DDR
instead of DDS2, so no need to buy new RAM...

Benjamin