So Nvidia has cancelled production of ALL AGP cards except the 6800Gs?

Old December 23rd 05, 11:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default So Nvidia has cancelled production of ALL AGP cards except the 6800Gs?

I had thought that Nvidia had ceased production of all 6800 GPU's -- except
for the 6800GS. The best nvidia GPU available for AGP was the 6800ultra
right?

--
Doug
"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
pigdos schrieb:

This is what I read over on Rage3d. That sucks. Really sucks.

I don't understand your point. First, Nvidia makes _GPUs_ (ICs), not
videocards. Second, they stopped production of GPUs with native AGP
interface, but board makers still can make AGP cards by using the AGP-PCIe
brigde chip. Third, AGP is dead. The current crop of AGP cards is still
fast enough for the latest AGP systems, and next generation cards also
want a faster system that will have PCIe.

So what?

Benjamin

Old December 24th 05, 12:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"pigdos" wrote in message
. com...
This is what I read over on Rage3d. That sucks. Really sucks.

My concern at this point is if most owners of AGP-based systems will have a
fast enough CPU in their system to feed some of the uber video cards out
there. My main computer (built in 2003) has AGP, but has a P4 2.8GHz
Northwood C processor and it's already been proven that you cannot even see
the full potential of a card like the ATI X800XL with such a CPU, to say
nothing of a card like the GeForce 7800GT/GTX.

Old December 24th 05, 12:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"NightSky 421" wrote in message ...
"pigdos" wrote in message
. com...
This is what I read over on Rage3d. That sucks. Really sucks.

My concern at this point is if most owners of AGP-based systems will have a
fast enough CPU in their system to feed some of the uber video cards out
there. My main computer (built in 2003) has AGP, but has a P4 2.8GHz
Northwood C processor and it's already been proven that you cannot even see
the full potential of a card like the ATI X800XL with such a CPU, to say
nothing of a card like the GeForce 7800GT/GTX.

If the title of this thread is true, I'd advise buying eBay stock.

Heavily.

Absolutely outrageous. As if I'm about to trash a $2,000
P4 3.8MHz computer just to upgrade a ****ing video card.
It's sad to see Nvidia trying to shove a new, unnecessary
standard down the market's throat. ATI is trying the same
thing and their bottom line has been in the ****ter ever since.

Old December 24th 05, 02:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

This is the same self-centered crap that's been thrown around here for
months. "If I'm using AGP and ma aunt Betsy-Mae's using AGP, I figured
everyone must be using AGP." Asus alone ships over 1 million PCIe
motherboards *per month*. Wonder where they all went...

BTW, before 3dfx died, its Voodoo5 cards were the best-selling retail cards
ever made. Even such "leadership" couldn't help when the entire retail
segment accounts for about 10% of the market.

"tod" wrote in message
nk.net...
Currently 70% of the graphics card sold are AGP.
So AGP is still a money maker for NVIDIA and ATI.

Old December 24th 05, 02:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Glen" wrote in message
nk.net...
If the title of this thread is true, I'd advise buying eBay stock.

Hard to say, especially since I'll have to take money out of oil stocks...

Absolutely outrageous. As if I'm about to trash a $2,000
P4 3.8MHz computer just to upgrade a ****ing video card.
It's sad to see Nvidia trying to shove a new, unnecessary
standard down the market's throat. ATI is trying the same
thing and their bottom line has been in the ****ter ever since.

nVidia started the PCIe-only trend with the 7800GT several months before ATi
did. Half of nVidia's marketing efforts (SLi) fundamentally hinges on PCIe.

AMD users have it a bit easier. All they need to do is change the
motherboard (for now), not that expensive compared to the $400-$500 spent on
a high-end video card.

Old December 24th 05, 03:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

AMD users have it a bit easier. All they need to do is change the
motherboard (for now), not that expensive compared to the $400-$500 spent on
a high-end video card.

Why do you say that?? My amd 3200 wont fit in a s939 board, and Im not
throwing away 2gig of ram just to upgrade the vid card.
I can play fear, and cod2, and others, quite nicely at the moment, with a
6600gt. got no problems with fps, or stuttering, or any thing else.
Sure I would like to go up to a supercard, but I aint ditching everything.
(for a start the missus would kill me. ;-) )

oldwolf

Old December 24th 05, 08:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Glen schrieb:

Absolutely outrageous. As if I'm about to trash a $2,000
P4 3.8MHz computer just to upgrade a ****ing video card.

Why should you trash the whole computer? Simply get a new mainboard
instead...

Benjamin
Old December 24th 05, 08:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

oldwolf schrieb:

Why do you say that?? My amd 3200 wont fit in a s939 board,

You have an Athlon XP?

and Im not
throwing away 2gig of ram just to upgrade the vid card.
I can play fear, and cod2, and others, quite nicely at the moment, with a
6600gt. got no problems with fps, or stuttering, or any thing else.
Sure I would like to go up to a supercard, but I aint ditching everything.
(for a start the missus would kill me. ;-) )

Well, a 6800GT/Ultra AGP is probably the maximum that is useful with an
Athlon XP that has several performance bottlenecks. A 7800GTX would be
wasted...

That's a good example for what I said: it's not really a problem that
new cards are PCIe. For your system an ATI X800 or Nvidia Geforce
6800GT/Ultra would be more than enough. Everything higher would require
a faster computer to be useful...

Benjamin