SmartStarting a Proliant 1600

Old December 1st 05, 02:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default SmartStarting a Proliant 1600

I've just picked up a Proliant 1600 (dual PII 400MHz) to build up as a
firewall for a friend. It's got two 9.1GB drives in it and the first
thing I did was do a system erase on it and started doing a manual
install for Linux. The odd thing is, nowhere can I find where to set up
the array controller.

I put in the date, etc. and tell it to get ready for Linux, it does the
F10 installation, then the next thing it tells me is that it's ready to
install the OS and to remove the SmartStart CD.

On running SmartStart again, nowhere in the options is there anything
for setting up the array controller. WTF? Where did it go?

When you boot the system, it detects the controller board on Bus1 and
the drives on ID0 and ID1 and spins them up, gives their type, so I
assume the hardware is working correctly.

Can anybody tell me what I'm missing? I've built several systems up by
now on various models of Proliant without a hiccup, but this is my first
1600.
Old December 1st 05, 02:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

sounds to me like you dont have an array controller.
When the system Posts, do you see any kind of smart array controller init
and show you X number of logical volumes? Or, does it simply say:

ID0: Compaq xxxx 9.1GB
ID1: Compaq xxxz 9.1GB

If it looks like the above ... you have no array controller.

- LC

om.au...

Old December 1st 05, 01:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Are you planning to build a firewall from scratch? Perhaps using Debian
as a base? Or do you plan to use a package like IPCOP? I am curious
about the ability of either to handle Array Mirroring. I know that
IPCOP has SCSI support (unlike my good buddy Smoothwall), but I believe
it is limited to supporting a single SCSI hard disk. Also, for a
firewall, your two 9.1G drives will be an overkill...a single 4.3G
drive will be more than sufficient.

Jeff

Old December 2nd 05, 01:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

In article . com,
says...
Are you planning to build a firewall from scratch? Perhaps using Debian
as a base? Or do you plan to use a package like IPCOP? I am curious
about the ability of either to handle Array Mirroring. I know that
IPCOP has SCSI support (unlike my good buddy Smoothwall), but I believe
it is limited to supporting a single SCSI hard disk. Also, for a
firewall, your two 9.1G drives will be an overkill...a single 4.3G
drive will be more than sufficient.

Jeff

What I normally do is install Gentoo from a Stage 1 tarball, and add
Shorewall if I'm building a firewall only machine. The reasons I like
the Proliants so much is that they're dirt cheap, built like a tank, do
internet-related stuff just brilliantly, and they have all (until now
that is) come with array controllers so I can set up RAID in hardware.

For this machine I was intending to just have RAID 0 going so it at
least had some form of redundancy, and it came with four 9.1GB drives,
so I figured hey pull out two, don't worry about an off-line spare, and
just run the two drives as a mirror. I was told it had an array
controller when I bought it, so I made the assumption.

I got a bit sus when I couldn't find any nodes under /dev/ida/c0 or
/dev/ida/disk0 and then found /dev/sda. Oh well.

Rather than muck around finding and installing a spare array controller
(hey the whole machine with four drives only cost AUD36 so I ain't going
to bother adding a card) I'll just use a single drive, and if it falls
over one day then so be it.

So what I normally do is, install Gentoo, utility bits and pieces, X,
webmin, shorewall, firefox. That way it's more user-friendly for the guy
who's going to be running the network off it.